Dermoid cyst & fibroids = Hysterectomy? Please help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dermoid cyst & fibroids = Hysterectomy? Please help! Dermoid cyst & fibroids = Hysterectomy? Please help!

Unread 01-21-2001, 10:29 PM
Dermoid cyst & fibroids = Hysterectomy? Please help!

Hi Sisters!
This is my first time writting here and I am so happy to have found this site. I have a big decision to make and have been procrastinating for about 4 weeks now. I am a 53 year old woman, with no children, large multi fibroids (one @ 5 inches), not menopausal yet (mom was 55), with regular though EXTREMELY heavy mentrual bleeding.
Recent sonograms reveal a plum size dermoid cyst on my left ovary which must be removed. My dr. has offered me 2 options at this time... A laparoscopic procedure to remove the cyst probably along with the left ovary where the dermoid is inbedded and/or a total hysterectomy. Since dermoid cysts often "travel" in pairs if done laproscopically, my right ovary would also be checked (and would need to be removed if a second cyst is found on it) I have opted not to remove both ovaries laproscopically, because I would automatically go into surgical menopause and with my multi (and large) fibroids I would not be a candidate for hrt.I am in terrible fear of surgical menopause and possible depression as I suffer from depression (and take meds) as it is. I am considering hysterectomy so I will be able to take hrt, even though I am at a slightly higher risk for breat cancer (maternal grandmother and aunt). My uteris is quite enlarged due to my fibroids.
My gyn gives me the choice of laprascopic with a possible second surgery needed if a second cyst is found on my right ovary. Or to have a total hysterectomy from the start. I would naturally prefer not to have two surgeries and am leaning towards the hysterectomy. I trust my dr, and have had 1 second opinion on Friday. The choice remains mine! HELP!
Any thoughts, similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2001, 02:49 PM

I can't advise you as to whether or not to have a hysterectomy--that is something you and your doctor will have to decide. However, I may be able to help you with regard to the removal of your ovaries and HRT. I was 52 when I had my hysterectomy two years ago. With no ovaries, and unable to take estrogen, I began to suffer frequent and very intense hot flashes. I was also becoming severely depressed. Two months ago, my doctor prescribed Effexor, and I must say that I feel much better. I'm not sad all the time anymore and my hot flashes have decreased substantially. Even if you do have your uterus removed, you may want to ask you doctor about Effexor due to the breast cancer risk in your family. You could ask the doctor Friday about the Effexor. It is one of the SSRI antidepressants, and has been shown to relieve hot flashes up to 60%. You might also try getting information about it on the internet. Best wishes,
Unread 01-24-2001, 08:37 PM

Hi Catherine,
Thank you so much for responding to my post, re: my fear of surgical menopause and depression due to my upcoming TAH BSO (I'm learning the lingo a little more!) I didn't know that about Effexor helping with hot flashes. Excellent and interesting point.
Unfortunately, as I mentioned, I have been on anti-depressants for a good part of 30 years due to chronic clinical depression. My dr. put me on Effexor about 2 years ago though it offered me little relief, though I do have a treatment resistant depression. I am currently taking Paxil (again) with a little Buspar and am grateful to be feeling somewhat better, at least for today.
Thus my uncomfortability about the prospect of the added burden of surgery and surgical menopause. I am leaning a little towards taking HRT, at least till I recover from my surgery . My dr. believes if I keep close watch and do bi-annual mammeograms, I should be able to take hrt, even with my family history. I will try to read more about hrt on this site, and possibly order a book or 2 to learn more. Any recs on books would be appreciated.
Though my TAH- BSO schedule date is still to be confirmed, I certainly am grateful to have found this site, and am still trying to figure out what alot of the lingo and Crowning (?) talk is all about. lol
This feels like a wonderful and warm site and I hope to post more in the future and just "hang out" here during this scarey and trying pre-hyst (and post!) time in my life.
Thanks for being here!
Ellen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register