Scheduled TAH Upcoming hysterectomy (TAH) recovery question about lifting (child mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy (TAH) recovery question about lifting (child mentioned) Upcoming hysterectomy (TAH) recovery question about lifting (child mentioned)

Unread 07-29-2014, 10:17 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy (TAH) recovery question about lifting (child mentioned)

Hi there, I am going to be having an abdominal (open) hysterectomy on 9/19/14 to remove my uterus/ cervix/ fallopian tubes but leave the ovaries. Also, any Endo found will be removed while in there. (The hysterectomy is for Adenomyosis.)

My question is this.. I asked my doctor how long it would be until I could lift my daughter (27 lbs currently) and he said it would be 10 days??? That's how long I had to wait when I had a laproscopy to remove Endo so that just doesn't sound right to me. A quick perusal of the web makes it sound like 4 weeks is more normal. (10 sounded more like lap or robotic healing time frame...)

Also how long to drive?

I know, we all heal at different rates. But... i want to prepare as I am going to need help getting my daughter to school and getting her care. If I take less time, so be it. But I'd rather over prepare as I need to have family come in from other places to help me.

Thanks so much! Any advice, personal experience welcomed..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2014, 10:43 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy (TAH) recovery question about lifting (child mentioned)

Hi there jesstutt. My TAH was on June 24, I'm 1 month out and I'm still on lifting restrictions! I have a 30# daughter and I can tell you, I miss picking her up and giving her lovins. I thought I've been feeling really good lately and tried to just bend over and give her a little pick up hug... It wasn't a good idea. I've overdone it with grocery shopping, housecleaning, laundry. .. I would rather overplan and cancel the help than to be stuck without it. Thisnis by far the craziest thing I've had to recover from. I've had 2 babies, a sinus surgery, and numerous laproscopys, etc. I'm scared I'll never feel 100% again. I hope and pray for you you're recovery and surgery goes well Jess.
Unread 07-29-2014, 12:04 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy (TAH) recovery question about lifting (child mentioned)

First of all Jess, I will be thinking about you on September 19th (that is my hubby's birthday) and I wish you the very best with your surgery.

I was told not to drive for 6 - 8 weeks and I will follow the same time line when it comes to lifting. Before I had my TAH I did a bit of reading and several articles mentioned that the recovery times given by doctors are under estimated according to women who had the surgery so I plan on taking my time to return to my normal routines.

I have had 3 laparoscopy's prior to this surgery as well as a vaginal delivery when my daughter was born and to be honest this experience is far more than what I had expected it to be. Just thought I would throw in my honest opinion.......

Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2014, 12:05 PM

I had to wait 8 weeks before I could lift 20 lbs. i can't imagine lifting that much at 10 days.
Unread 07-29-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubylou View Post
I had to wait 8 weeks before I could lift 20 lbs. i can't imagine lifting that much at 10 days.
Thank you for sharing, this seems like a much more realistic timeline to me.
Unread 07-29-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ992 View Post
First of all Jess, I will be thinking about you on September 19th (that is my hubby's birthday) and I wish you the very best with your surgery.

I was told not to drive for 6 - 8 weeks and I will follow the same time line when it comes to lifting. Before I had my TAH I did a bit of reading and several articles mentioned that the recovery times given by doctors are under estimated according to women who had the surgery so I plan on taking my time to return to my normal routines.

I have had 3 laparoscopy's prior to this surgery as well as a vaginal delivery when my daughter was born and to be honest this experience is far more than what I had expected it to be. Just thought I would throw in my honest opinion.......

Take care
Aw thank you, I value the honest opinions. I have felt my docs underestimated for my laps too, but 10 days seems almost like a joke more than an underestimation! The driving thing too, seems like it will be a real bummer.
Unread 07-29-2014, 12:15 PM

At four weeks my dr said I could start lifting more than a gallon of milk, but based on my reading here and how I felt, I decided to keep to that restriction for another two weeks and then slowly start lifting more.

At 10 days? There's no way I could have lifted over 20 lbs. My abdomen would have screamed at me to STOP!
Unread 07-29-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie73 View Post
Hi there jesstutt. My TAH was on June 24, I'm 1 month out and I'm still on lifting restrictions! I have a 30# daughter and I can tell you, I miss picking her up and giving her lovins. I thought I've been feeling really good lately and tried to just bend over and give her a little pick up hug... It wasn't a good idea. I've overdone it with grocery shopping, housecleaning, laundry. .. I would rather overplan and cancel the help than to be stuck without it. Thisnis by far the craziest thing I've had to recover from. I've had 2 babies, a sinus surgery, and numerous laproscopys, etc. I'm scared I'll never feel 100% again. I hope and pray for you you're recovery and surgery goes well Jess.
Aw, thank you! I am going to be so sad not to be able to lift her but I'd rather it be realistic than assuming. Thanks for the info about your recovery, I hope that things do get better for you over the next few weeks.
Unread 07-29-2014, 03:04 PM

I had a TAH and had a 10-lb lift limit for the first four weeks. It was raised to 30 lbs for the next two weeks and then lifted, but I was told to start slowly and cautiously. My body definitely agreed with my doc's advice! No way could I have lifted 27 lbs at 10 days.
Unread 07-29-2014, 03:45 PM

I'm having LAVH tomorrow and my doctor told me he was basing his lifting guidelines on what I am currently lifting on a regular basis. I've had two c-sections so I will trust how I feel so I don't push it too soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register