Has anyone else had to... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone else had to... Has anyone else had to...

Unread 05-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Has anyone else had to...

drink 4 liters of Nulytely the night before surgery?

I'm going in on Tuesday and went to the pharmacy the other night to pick up the prescription. When the pharmacist came out with this giant container (I was thinking antifreeze or extra gas) I was "What the heck is that?" And then when I realized that I have to drink ALL of that! I think that's freaking me out as much as the surgery!

Although I have a friend who said I'll be so exhausted from all my "cleansing" that I'll be passed out before I get to surgery.

So has anyone else done this? 4 LITERS!?!? How does anyone manage that? I never drank 4 liters in one evening -- not even with things that I like!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2008, 09:24 AM

Well, I had a bowel prep for colonoscopy a while back, and I did have to drink quite a bit of liquid. Check with your doctor if you think the dose is not correct, but it sounds like in the ballpark to me. I didn't have to do the prep for my hysterectomy.
Unread 05-30-2008, 02:22 PM

That's the stuff I was given before my colonoscopy last March.

For my LAVH/BSO, my doctor ordered an OTC bowel cleanser. Fleet Phospho Soda. I only had to drink 6 cups of liquid, with similar, but less extreme results.

The downside in my case was I didn't get notified that the surgery had been rescheduled for two days later until after I did the prep. Yep, had to do it again. My doctor and her office manager felt so bad, they have rolled out the red carpet for me every step of the way since then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2008, 04:21 PM

I was supposed to but I didn't. I was just a nawty girl.
Unread 05-30-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlnwheels
drink 4 liters of Nulytely the night before surgery?

I'm going in on Tuesday and went to the pharmacy the other night to pick up the prescription. When the pharmacist came out with this giant container (I was thinking antifreeze or extra gas) I was "What the heck is that?" And then when I realized that I have to drink ALL of that! I think that's freaking me out as much as the surgery!

Although I have a friend who said I'll be so exhausted from all my "cleansing" that I'll be passed out before I get to surgery.

So has anyone else done this? 4 LITERS!?!? How does anyone manage that? I never drank 4 liters in one evening -- not even with things that I like!
I didn't need a bowel prep before my hyst last year. I was just told to fast the day before.

I did need a bowel prep for my colonoscopy, though. I fasted all day yesterday (and was starving) then I took two liters of Halflytely last night and my colonscopy went fine today. No polyps, no illness, no cramps or anything.

Halflytely is the newer formula by the same company as Nulytely, but you only drink half the amount. I used the lemon lime packet of flavering, There were three: lemon lime, cherry or orange.
I finished taking the 2 liters of Halflytely in 1 hr 15 minutes and felt fine afterwards. I just wasn't hungry anymore as I was so full of liquids.

Good luck with your prep!
Unread 05-30-2008, 07:08 PM

I have not experienced the Nulytely yet, but I have a great deal of experience with the Golytely (for colonoscopy every 1 1/2 yrs). I'm not gonna lie and say that it's easy or no big deal, but it's not that bad, and is definately do-able. I set up a TV, etc. in the bathroom, because once it starts (begins in 30 min. to an hour)you may well be sitting there for awhile. I also keep mouthwash on hand to gargle with after drinking each glass (I don't like the taste, regular or flavored). A straw can also be helpful for some, although everyone doesn't agree. It doesn't hurt or anything - it just gets irritating and a little gaggy sometimes drinking the stuff over and over. Once I am really sure that what is coming out (sorry so graphic) is exactly what I am drinking - I stop. The plan here is to clear and cleanse your system...Clear in and clear out to me means it is clean enough. Once you stop drinking and get it all out of your system, your good to go.

I would, if you have the option, check with your Dr. and try some of the alternative bowel preps that are discussed on the boards. Many of them appear to be a whole lot easier and much smaller amounts (the hardest part for me after all these years is when they request drinking the ENTIRE container) to be honest I've never even done that - I don't think I've maybe done 3/4 of it at the most. Good luck....You can handle it either way -

TANK
Unread 05-31-2008, 07:16 AM

I did not have to do any bowel prep before my surgery, thank goodness. I could not have drank that stuff. I am not good wth funky tasting liquids! LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register