2 questions about right after surgery-- | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 questions about right after surgery-- 2 questions about right after surgery--

Unread 04-22-2008, 06:51 PM
2 questions about right after surgery--

1) When you leave hospital (the docs are scheduling me for in-and-out the same day, LAVH/BSO ha ha, we'll see!) and get in the car, do you sit in a bucket seat or lie down on a bench seat? Should I bring pillows?

2) When I get home and go to bed, how do I get back out of bed? I bought myself a cane to walk with but I need some way to get out of bed first.

I am really, really scared. My surgery is in 3 days and I am starting to feel overwhelmed and under-prepared. My family (hubby and teen daughter) don't have a clue about what they are about to deal with. They are used to me doing stuff and being in charge even when I have the flu!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2008, 07:19 PM

When you go home you want to place a pillow over your belly so you can buckle the safty belt over the pillow.You will be able to get in & out of the car or they wont send you home! The bed at home is tricky,I rolled onto my side & slid myself up sideways rather than trying to pull myself up by my arms ,cause sit ups just arent in the picture for a while. Most ladies wind up spending the night at the hospital which is a good idea,some have to stay a little longer.But some have posted in & out the same day depends how it goes.You have to be able to get up & pee.
I doubt you will need the cane. A shower chair was a must for me cause I had to shower every other day even though I was only in bed the first couple weeks just part of feeling good for me anyhow & with a chair you can shave your legs.
Make sure you have soft foods at home apple sauce,oatmeal,brancereal,yougurt, fruits,soups.You need stool softners & suppositories just in case.You won't have a big appetite the first week or so but you have to eat drink & walk to get those bowels moving.WE were worried about cooking because my boyfriend only cook hamburgers.We did fine after week one he would gather what I needed to cook I would get things started in the kitchen & he would finish it & clean up It wasn't making any oven dishs so it wasnt to hard.After every tiny chore,shower,bm,walk,meal,movie you need a little nap that first 2wks.Als when they discharge you they give you a prescription you drop it off on the way home,drop you home & send him back to get it! You will be fine! I was so pleased with my recovery thus far & return to work this week.There is a wealth of information here & it feels good to share with your little surgury group.So when your up to it post & read a little dailly it will help you !
Unread 04-22-2008, 08:10 PM

Hi Elizadoo. I had the same surgery in March. Today was my 6 wk. checkup. It's really true, the waiting is the worst. It was no where near as bad as I imagined. I felt bruised, like someone had been punching me in the belly, not like I had been sliced up.
I was also scheduled as an out patient. We drive a cargo van and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to climb the steps and get up into the seat. It was not a problem. I was surprised at how well I could move around by myself. I was just a little shaky and moved slower.
The nurses can give you suggestions on getting in and out of bed. I rolled over to my side and lifted my upper body with my arms, and slowly lowered my legs over the side until I was sitting up. It won't take you long to figure out what works for you.
My best advice is take your pain meds. on schedule so you are more comfortable moving around. You'll be amazed at what you can do. I wish you all the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2008, 08:36 PM

Hey Elizadoo. I had a hysterectomy in Jan. of this year. I was in the hospital for 2 nights and 2 days, but every situation is different. I was cut horizontal from the top of my belly button to the midpoint of my hairline area. I had a little longer recovery in the hospital. My nurse told me of a safe way to get up out of bed or anywhere for that matter. She told me to get on either my left or right side(whichever was more comfortable for me). She then told me to roll myself up using my legs and arms as support. Your chances of getting a hernia can be high, so be very carefull with how you get up. Be sure to ask your doctor. Everyone can be different. I am 13 weeks post opp and I feel great. I'm sure you will do fine. Good luck with everything.
Amanda
Unread 04-22-2008, 08:42 PM

I had the same surgery. I would suggest that you get an inflatable donut. It takes the pressure off of your pelvis area. It really has helped me especially sitting on hard surfaces. They cost about $6 at any local pharmacy. As for getting up out of bed roll to one side then get on your elbow. Then slowly get to a sitting position on the side of the bed. That is what I did and it helped my stomach muscles.
Unread 04-22-2008, 10:49 PM

I know these last days before surgery can really seem overwhelming.... first take a deep breath, OK? We're all here for you.

In all honesty, I wasn't able to really "lie down" for a few weeks after my surgery. I slept sitting up on the couch with pillows all around me -- and I'm sure I was quite the sight! So as for going home, I would plan on sitting in the seat. I climbed into DH's Jeep and it was OK for me... he brought along a little stepstool to help me get in and out. I used a softer bed pillow for my tummy and another one for my right side to put between me and the door. Another hint: DH got some of those pads they used on my bed at the hospital "just in case" there was any sort of leakage to protect his car seat.

As I said before, I didn't sleep in my bed for weeks after surgery. Many other (((sisters))) report the same sort of scenario, finding that either recliners or couches are better than actual beds for a time. Often this only lasts a day or two -- but for me, it was easier to use the couch because then my odd sleep patterns didn't bother the rest of the household. If you want to try the bed, it's probably best to test it out first with someone right next to you to make sure you'll be able to get in and out comfortably.

Because I'm short (or should I say "vertically challenged?" That sounds so much better) I also found it helpful to always put a pillow behind me when I sat on the couch or on a chair for the first few weeks, too. That made it easier to stand up because I didn't "sink into" the chair or couch as much.

I have faith that your family will rise to the occasion most beautifully. Just sit back and let them make you proud of them... and remember, there's always paper plates, Subway and 1-800-PIZZA.
Unread 04-22-2008, 10:56 PM

Personally, I slept in a recliner at first, for a good week or two. I had a TAH and I am a larger lady. It was just too painful to try to get up from the bed at first.
Unread 04-22-2008, 11:06 PM

When I left the hospital, I laid down in the back seat. The bumps & braking were still uncomfortable, but bearable.

I read somewhere to put a chair by the bed, to help you get up for the first few days. I didn't need it, & it doesn't sound like you will either if they're planning on you going home the same day.

Speedy recovery.
Unread 04-23-2008, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizadoo
1) When you leave hospital (the docs are scheduling me for in-and-out the same day, LAVH/BSO ha ha, we'll see!) and get in the car, do you sit in a bucket seat or lie down on a bench seat? Should I bring pillows?
It's better to bring a small pillow to place between the seat belt and your tummy than to lie down on the seat. If you are lying down and the car should stop short, you will be flung off the seat.

Quote:
2) When I get home and go to bed, how do I get back out of bed? I bought myself a cane to walk with but I need some way to get out of bed first.
The nurses at my hospital were pretty good at showing me how to get out of bed. I would lie on my left side, prop myself up on my left elbow and swing my right leg over towards the floor while pushing up with my elbow. It worked for me, but your nurse will show you the best way for you.
Unread 04-23-2008, 01:14 PM

I went right to bed after surgery. I had purchased a wedge pillow at Bed, Bath and Beyond. That kept me from laying too flat. I could add other pillows as needed to get comfortable. It also served as a good prop when I wanted to sit up in bed. I couldn't get comfortable in a recliner. It felt like it put too much pressure up into my lower abdominal area. Sitting in a hard chair was out of the question for about 10 days, for me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register