Return to Work Date | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Return to Work Date Return to Work Date

Unread 02-23-2005, 02:46 PM
Return to Work Date

I had a TAH & one ovary removed, and was told by my doctor that I should be able to return to work at 6 to 8 weeks post-op. Its been 4 weeks and I am not certain whether I will be ready to return at 6 weeks. Work would like me back at 6 weeks on the nose. Can anyone offer any advice on how long they were given off work after this type of surgery? Also, how did you feel when you went back? My normal workday is 8-10 hours long and I am not able to go back on a half day schedule. And, of course, once I'm back, I'm back - no more sick time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2005, 03:55 PM
Return to Work Date

Hi. This week I went back to work half days and next week I will be back full time. I had my 6 wk anniversary today. I'd say my first day was rough, but it got better (I sit most of the day although that day I stood quite a bit). I was very swollen and weary when I got home.

Could I have gone full days this week? I think so, but I would have been really tired and sore when I got home. I had the flu for the whole week last week and I am still tired from that, but I could have pushed it if I had to. I am glad that I was permitted to make a slower start of it.

Things that helped: Motrin, water, a cold pack I keep in the fridge at work, and support panties which I promptly remove when I get home!

Not sure what your job is but I hope this helps.
Unread 02-23-2005, 04:01 PM
Return to Work Date

I had a TAH/BSO 1/5/05 - 7 weeks today. My doc asked me how long I wanted to be out. After talking to others that have had the same surgery I opted for 8 weeks. I work 9 hour days and while I could have returned earlier half time my commute to work and home in traffic just wouldn't make it worth wild. I'm really feeling pretty good and probably could have returned this week but I'm glad I have 1 more week to putter.

Rosie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2005, 10:43 AM
Return to Work Date

I see in this thread and others references to support panties. Are you referring to the tummy flattening kind sold at Walmart? If so, do you buy a size larger? If not, what are you talking about? I need something for support. I am up and about quite a bit after TAH on 2/15/05 but constantly swollen and sore tummy. Thanks.
Unread 03-11-2005, 05:27 AM
Return to Work Date

I went back at 5 weeks. I thought that I could handle it. Well I have not stayed over 6 hrs a day this week. I am lucky the people I work with understand. If I had to do it all over again I would wait the extra week and return half days but that's me. I left work everyday feeling like my insides were coming out and very very tired. I wasn't even standing up straight. After 2 hours of rest time at home(not sleeping just laying down) I felt better.
I have a desk job but I have to get up a lot and answer the questions that come up and go to at least 2 meetings a day.So I spend 75% of my day up and down out of my chair.
That's the downside the upside is mentally I feel better just being around people everyday and feeling energized from going to work.
Unread 03-11-2005, 06:36 AM
Return to Work Date

I had a TAH with one ovary removed, along with some complications (was in the castle for 9 days) on Feb. 3, so yesterday was my 5 week mark. I've been back at work part-time (8-10 hours a day, depending on work load) and will probably go to full time (10+ hours a day- sometimes 18!) next week. I own my own business so taking more time off was an impossibility, and half days are unheard of once I'm back to working on projects. I work in the construction field (designing homes) and builders want to know when they'll have their blueprints and design their schedules around that. I can't just take time off when I don't feel good. Thankfully, 90% of my work is sitting at a computer, so it's not physically demanding.

So far things have been okay. I was having trouble sleeping before I went back to work, and now that's no longer a problem! In fact, I fall asleep as soon as my head touches the pillow I've found that I need to rest in the evenings alot more than before the surgery, and my kids and hubby have continued with the chores they had while I was recovering, since I'm not back to full strength just yet. I'm hoping that by the 8 week mark (March 31) that I will be back to my old self and able to keep up with my usual schedule and housekeeping chores...although the kids and hubby are doing such good jobs with the chores, I may let them continue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register