6 days post op & still need to self cath | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 days post op & still need to self cath 6 days post op & still need to self cath

Unread 11-27-2005, 02:38 PM
6 days post op & still need to self cath

I had a TVH with cystocele & rectocele repair (ovaries left) on 11/21/05. As of today, I still need to self cath to empty my bladder to a comfortable level. Has anyone else had to self cath? How long can I expect this (I know everyone is different). I'm just trying to get an idea of how long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2005, 04:21 PM

I did not have to do that and am sorry to hear you're dealing with this. I'm just trying to bump you ahead again so someone who has experience might see and respond. Good luck.
Unread 11-28-2005, 08:11 AM

Anyone?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2005, 08:31 AM

Hi stove,
I know there are others who have had to do this,they must not be around right now. I had to do it too, but didn't find out I was retaining until my two week check up,so it wasn't severe. I did it for a little over a week and found that I was retaining less and less all the time. I had a bladder sling done and I think my poor little bladder was just traumatized. Like you said, this is just so different for everyone depending on what you had done and how much your bladder was handled and all. Are you finding it is getting any better? I hope it won't be too much longer for you. Let us know how you are doing.
's, Rita
Unread 11-28-2005, 10:26 PM
search

I had the catheter for an extra 24 hours but that was in the hospital. But lots of people have posted since I've been watching the boards about using catheters for weeks after their surgery. One was a teacher who went back to work with the bag. If you do a search on "catheter" or a related term you will find related posts.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. I hope it gets better soon.

Unread 11-29-2005, 10:09 AM

Hey Girl. If anyone can understand what you are going through it is me.. I didnt self cath.. I was sent home with a cath for over 3 weeks i was not able to pee on my own, they did give me what they call a leg bag that I could strap on my leg and put baggy pants on over it so that I could run to the store with DH if I wanted too, I prefered the big BAG like what they hang on the side of your hospital bed, I just hooked it to the pocket of my moo moo and walked around the house - Ha!!.. But I am happy to say that now my bladder works in overtime, I have even peed on myself when I sneezed - I will never take peeing on myself for granted ever again... It stinks but your bladder will come back, just give it some time!!! My doctor said that because I am a fairly small woman that this is more common with smaller women, Im not sure if he was telling the truth or just trying to make me feel better.. (Like you are special that you have a cath) lol... Let us know how you are doing!

Stacey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register