Questions about post-op libido after SAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about post-op libido after SAH Questions about post-op libido after SAH

Unread 03-01-2006, 02:50 PM
Questions about post-op libido after SAH

I'm having a SAH and would like some feedback from anyone who can relate to my questions. I'm concerned about needing hormones, since I'm keeping my ovaries. And I'm concerned about by libido and my ability to orgasms, I'm keeping my cervix. Any body want to share their experiences with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2006, 03:00 PM

hey fellow tennessean, i have 1 ovary and have for 5 yrs, on and off, used HRT. i start having symptoms of low estrogen and then when i use something, after awhile, i get too much and have to back off. this has gone on and on for me. you need to give it some time after your hyst to determine whether or not you will need it becuase at first your ovaries go into a shock state, you may or may not have symptoms, they should wake up anwhere from days-weeks-months and then they might not. Yours may not even go into shock,hope for the best. The libido issue is a different story, some women have no problem and sex is better for them than before hyst. mine, i can honestly say, changed dramatically. i have no libido and the ability to orgasam is often not there. when it is, it takes FOREVER!!! i have learned to live with this and my husband doesn't take it personal anymore. I do not have my cervix so i don't know if this changes things or not for you. Just listen to your body and keep a journal of how you feel and the things you are going through. good luck.
Unread 03-01-2006, 03:03 PM
scaredpup

Thanks, I'm more scared of it affecting my sex life with my husband (married 15 years) than I am about the actual surgery, 'cause if I do it I can never get it back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2006, 04:26 PM

I couldnt agree more! Im scared of losing the sex drive (though my husband jokes with me that maybe now he would be able to keep up with me ;o) Im still waiting for my surgery to be scheduled, but it seems all the questions I have, there really is no answer for, since everybody's body reacts different. I talked to my mom about when she had hers back in the early 80's, and she never had so much as a hot-flash, so who knows?!?!? I hope to get that lucky!
Unread 03-02-2006, 07:47 AM

I'm so glad I'm not alone with my fears! I too am worried more about the sex and libido issues than the surgery. I'm keeping my ovaries, so the doctor assured me that nothing would change. But as I read the stories on here, there's a chance that the ovaries could shut down and never "wake up". I'm almost 47 and am lucky enough to enjoy a wonderful sex life with a man I've been dating for over a year. I'm afraid of having regrets after the surgery since the surgery isn't life threatening. I mean, I can continue to bleed for 2 weeks of each month until menapause. If I knew that the quality of my sex life would change drastically, I might not get the surgery. My BF says to "get healthy" and we'll deal with everything else later. But I know he's not aware of all the issues involved. Anyone have an opinion on this?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register