dr cancelled tomorrow's surgery.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

dr cancelled tomorrow's surgery.... dr cancelled tomorrow's surgery....

Unread 09-06-2001, 07:29 PM
dr cancelled tomorrow's surgery....

I am just a complete mess. He offers to do either another cone or hysterectomy leaning towards the hyster as the better choice. Tells me to think about it.......did that for 2wks. Made the decision to go for the hyster and have had it scheduled for 2 wks now. Went in today for pre op visit and bloodwork and he says......."Why do you want to do the hyster?????" Like we havent even discussed this before. I tell him.......fertility is no longer an issue for me ( i have 3 beautiful children) I just want to do this and get it over with. He proceeds to tell me that even if I do the hyster no guarantee the dysplasia wont come back on the vaginal walls. I know that from Robynb's story on this site. He trys to desuade me from the hyster. Wants me to wait 3 MONTHS and come back for a pap????? WHAT??????? I'm about to bust a blood vessel right about now. Of course I tell him NO. I want to do this now. He insists that I'm making my decision misinformed and that I am tooooooo emotional about having my uterus and cervix cut out. As if I told him I was going to chop off his $%@! he wouldnt shed a tear. Then he suggests that my husband come in so he can discuss this with him. Last time I checked I was the sole owner of my uterus......but I guess I could be misinformed about that. So end result......my surgery for tomorrow is canceled. I've been crying for hours now. Everything was in place. My bag was packed. I brought my mother here 2 wks early to get her accustomed to the route to kindergarten, dance class, soccer practice ......Now I'm supposed to ask her to stay longer??? I wish I could just turn my brain off for a day. Just so I could get some sleep. Thanks for letting me vent. Love you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2001, 07:46 PM

{{{Maria}}} I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Sometimes, it seems like there simply is no right way to go.

I know that this won't help much right now, but, usually, things happen for a reason. This might be the sign that you need to explore your options. It could also be a sign that you need to get a second, even a third opinion. Sometimes it helps to hear what other doctors have to say on the matter, even if they say the same thing as your current doctor.

Sending you tons of 's and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Unread 09-06-2001, 07:49 PM
Sweets

Hi there Sweets,
I really feel bad for you - to be all psyched up and then not go in, I can understand why you are so upset. I don't know about all of your medical issues and your doctor's reasons, but all I know is I can understand why you are so upset. I have been preparing for ages for my date on the 25th and would feel like the rug was pulled out. . My heart goes out to you.
Just know that everyone is here for you, and someone might yet respond who has been through what you are going through. Hang in there,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2001, 07:50 PM

My head would have exploded right there in his office. that's like telling a pregnant woman who is 2 months overdue that she'll have to wait another month. what is up with these dr's nowadays? IMHO he must have had "something" he wanted to do tomorrow. Maybe a big day at the golf course. I think you should find another doctor. the wait will probably be less than 3 months and you'll be more at peace that you have someone who really cares about you.

Keep us posted

Heather
Unread 09-07-2001, 04:32 AM

Ah sweety

You must be really upset. March hubby in there and get this all straightened out. Sometimes Dr's forget the emotional stuff we go through. He probably thought you would be relieved.He certainly did not handle it very well. Why did he not call you before the pre op.

Take a deep breath and go and demand some answers.

Unread 09-07-2001, 04:58 AM

Oh Marie, you must certainly be in a state. I really cant understand why the Dr would cancel a hysterectomy without a very good reason. But sometimes I do wonder at their decisions.

My understanding of CIN3 is that it usually can take quite awhile to develop into cancer. Most times a cone biopsy or leep procedure is usually the way they treat it, unless of course it is an aggressive strain and then the hysterectomy is performed.

Mine was a very aggressive strain and invasive as well. I also had 'skip ' cells which behave quite strangely. Please remember that what happened to me is very, very unusual.

cathlaur has a good suggestion... march in there with your dh and demand an explanation . If you are not happy with it then I would get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion.

Waiting is the pits and it is even more stressful when your op is cancelled. But please try to remember that this waiting will not affect your chances of being successfully treated but will be a very anxious time. That is where we come in. We are here for you always , please remember that. If you want some extra support I am just an email away, much love always x x
Unread 09-07-2001, 05:30 AM
Me too!

Hey Sweets,
You and I are pratically in the same boat! dr called @3pm yesterday to say no deal because of abnoramility in EKG!!
I've been crying non-stop since then. Waiting now for call to say when I can see a cardiologist for clearance. I can't imagine that there's anything wrong with my heart. My bag is packed and sitting by the door. I should be at the hospital right now. All the plans that us working Moms have to make are down the drain. Even if I get into a cardiologist office today, who knows when I'll get back on the hospital docket?
Can hardly see with the red and swollen eyes. I've been praying and praying. My good friend says that God knew that this would happen and his timing is perfect. H E L P !!!
Judy
Unread 09-07-2001, 05:35 AM

Judy I am so sorry.

Wow. How long ago did you have your ECG. I know what you mean about working moms. I have planned my sick time someone else is covering for me. So to cancel affects more than just me.

I really and truly hope you get some answers soon

Take care
Unread 09-07-2001, 06:00 AM

's to Maria and Judy,

I live in fear of that call to cancell, my doctor cancelled my D&C just a couple of days before, because "something came up" and I was totally floored. I cannot imagine how aweful it feels to be told the day before your surgery that its being put off!!!

Maria I think a second opinion may be in order, your doctor does not sound like a very compassionate person, and if it was me I would be in the phone book looking for another doctor.

Judy I can see why you doctor cancelled yours, he would rather be safe than sorry, the HEART is nothing to fool with, and if the cardio doctor finds nothing, I would say better safe than sorry!

's again you two and keep up your faith, everything will work out in the end!!!

In my prayers.

Brenda
TAH/BSO
October 10th
Unread 09-07-2001, 06:19 AM

I have been wondering about hysterectomy for displasia. I just can't find any information on anyone who has chosen not to go through the hysterectomy. I understand it is slow growing. I understand the procedures, I have been through all of them. BTW I don't have enough cervix left for another leep or cone. Margins not clear from the last one. The doctor gave me the choice of hysto or colpo every three months. I chose the hysto, thinking I would be free from the painful biopsy's. Now I question my decision. I am 53, post menopause, and my health is not so good otherwise. High blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, overweight and in general poor health. I had made up my mind to join a gym and get into better shape and then the hysterectomy date set me back. These doctors keep our minds confused not to mention our schedules. Guess they are just too busy for counciling. To add more to the confusion, I am wondering why I went through the last 8 months of these painful, not the mention expensive.biopsy's at my age if the hysterectomy was the remedy to start with. Last question, does anyone know why they don't do the radiation for the lesions in the first place. Thanks for all your post, everything I read helps my peace of mind. The doctors don't do anything for it.
Shirae

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register