Bowel and Bladder Woes | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel and Bladder Woes Bowel and Bladder Woes

Unread 12-15-2005, 10:12 AM
Bowel and Bladder Woes

I had a TAH with left ovary removed 12/7. I have been doing better each day but my bowels and bladder were not at all impressed with the activity. I have lots of discomfort and occasional pain with air movement and BM's. My bladder is still quite irritable too. Everything works but still spasms. I'm amazed at how tender everything is.

I have an 8 week recovery and am so grateful for the time - I am a nurse and am required to be quite active on the job so the doctor's office recommended nothing less.

I am grateful to hear how others are doing. This site has been a Godsend for me - it's one thing to know all the techie stuff - it's another to hear the actual experience of it all.

And what about laughing????Holy Hannah that is a burning pain in the abs!!!

Take care,
Tammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2005, 11:30 AM
Bowel and Bladder Woes

Keep your chin up, Tammy! Those nasty pains do pass. By Christmas, you should be feeling a lot better!
Glad you get 8wks off. I work in an ER (receptionist, til dec. 25th) and I know how much work it is to be a nurse! You guys run your tails off! ( heros that you are!)
Take this time to take care of you. :timeup:

Merry Christmas! LL
Unread 12-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Bowel and Bladder Woes

Hi Tammy,
I also had tremendous discomfort at first, especially bowel. Felt like I was giving birth. But I'm better now, and you will be too. My abdomen still is tender to the touch, but everything is so much better now. My best to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2005, 12:02 PM
Bowel and Bladder Woes

Many ladies experience a lot of bladder and bowel discomfort after a hyst due to all the manipulation of the organs in your pelvic region during the surgery. And laughing is very abdomenally painful for most of us! Along with coughing and sneezing! Don't forget to hold your tummy pillow to your insicion site for these functions!
Best wishes to you as you recover!
Unread 12-16-2005, 05:13 AM
Bowel and Bladder Woes

Hi Tammy,
I am almost 6 weeks after TAH and at first my stomach and bowels were really bad it started to feel better at 5weeks. Peeing is a lot better but still have constipation, runs at times and gas! I hear this is all normal so...hang in there it does get better!
Unread 12-16-2005, 06:20 AM
Bowel and Bladder Woes

I had similar bowel and bladder problems during my first week or so. At first, there were no slow, easy BMS -- the spasms were so intense that I felt like a cannon shooting everything out at high velocity!

Bladder felt sore and painful during every elimination for a while, but that has gradually passed.

I also had peculiar abdominal spasms, tensing my abdomen, every morning before I got bed. They were totally involunary and quite uncomfortable, but they have also passed. I asked my sister about them, and she said she experienced them too.
Unread 12-16-2005, 10:02 AM
Bowel and Bladder Woes

Hey- I felt like I was giving birth too at first with BMs!!! Now I alternate between being ok or the runs- both better than constipated. The gas is improving all the while though thank goodness.
Unread 12-16-2005, 10:21 AM
Bowel and Bladder Woes

I guess our remaining innards have to get used to their new space and recover from the trauma the surgery put them thru. I didn't have use of my bladder for the first 3 weeks of recovery because I came home with a foley. My bladder got nicked during surgery. I think I was so focused on the foley that I didn't notice any bowel problems. It took me a while to coordinate myself to have a bm without sending a "signal" to my bladder. Once the foley was removed then I had to deal with retraining my bladder. It wasn't so bad. I had forgotten what the urge to urinate felt like. I hadn't felt it in months, maybe years. When that feeling returned I was thrilled. I guess my bladder and I had to retrain each other. I think my bladder and I got things together within 10 days of having the foley removed.

This too shall pass. You'll look back and wonder where the time went. One day you'll laugh and not feel the sensation from your abdomen.

Best wishes and 's
Unread 12-16-2005, 10:34 AM
Bowel and Bladder Woes

Thank you all so much for your replies. At least I know I'm on track. For the most part, I thought I was feeling pretty good for just 10 days post op but at the same time this discomfort was completely unexpected - makes sense to me but I guess I slept through the surgical training - maybe they didn't teach this part way back then???

There is nothing like the honest voice of a woman who's been there to offer their experience of a situation.

Hugs and Gratitude!!!
Tammy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register