male doctor visit tomorrow and nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

male doctor visit tomorrow and nervous male doctor visit tomorrow and nervous

Unread 09-20-2007, 02:11 PM
male doctor visit tomorrow and nervous

Hi
I go for a visit to see my regular doctor tomorrow to ask all the questions i forgot to ask last week at my 5 week check up at the hospital and to see if i need an internal exam as they did not give me one at the hospital. But i could only get in to see a male doctor as there was no appoinments to see a lady doctor, i am really worried about going and am going to be so embarrassed asking if i need an internal exam and when i can resume intercourse, How many of you saw a male regular doctor and had to ask those sort of questions and how did you feel, i know doctors have seen and heard it all before but i feel like it is just me that feels like this. Thanks

TAH/BSO AUG 6TH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2007, 02:25 PM

I have a male dr. and he is great. Yes, it is a little embarrassing to ask questions like that but don't be afraid, like you said, they have heard it all and seen it all. My dr. asked me at my 8 week check up if I have had sex yet, how embarrassing is that? I don't talk about that with any other male, so its weird. Yes, they will probably do a pelvic exam too. I had one at my 3 week appt and 6 week and then I had to go back at 8 too. Did not feel the best but they have to check to see if you care healing alright. Good Luck!
Unread 09-20-2007, 02:27 PM

Hi liteshade:

I know it can be embarassing to see a male doctor, especially if you've never been to one before. I've seen female doctors for gyn exams for the past 30 odd years, however, my gyn/onc is a male and he's great. I was somewhat embarrassed about seeing him at first until I remembered that he assisted with my surgery and "saw" everything anyway. I now see him every 3 months and it's no big deal.

And you are right, they've seen and heard it all before.

There used to be a time when there was mostly men doctors. I remember my mom (who's now in her 70's) always had a male doctor and he was my first gyn. Saw him for about 3 years until he retired.

Hugs and prayers that everything goes okay for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2007, 02:34 PM

Just saw my doctor this morning and yes it was a male doctor. I am 5 weeks post op. from a TVH. He gave me an exam and I had lots of questions for him, even the sex questions. I wouldn't worry if I were you, these doctors hear this stuff all the time.
Unread 09-20-2007, 02:38 PM

My surgeon is male and I felt no embarassment at all when asking questions.

Don't forget that they look at all this with a different view - they see it all from a medical point of view, just as a heart surgeon or brain surgeon does.

Don't think of him as a man, think of him as a doctor. You're not going to ask anything he hasn't heard before and he certainly isn't seeing anything he hasn't seen before. De-personalize it and you'll feel better. Easier said than done I know!

Hope it all goes well
Unread 09-20-2007, 03:28 PM

I have always had male drs. and quite a few at that. It's ok to ask them anything and they won't be shocked by it.

I had one dr (at one of my prenatal visits) ask me and DH if we needed tips on different sexual position. I hadn't even ask sexual questions

GOOD LUCK
Unread 09-20-2007, 05:10 PM

I have always had male OB/GYN Doctors, and have never had issues with them (aside from the one way back when who had gone to college with my boss, and wanted to chat about their college years during my exams). Just remember that the doctor is there to provide you with care and the only way he can give you the care you deserve is if you trust him with your health questions and provide him with the honest answers to his questions.
Unread 09-20-2007, 07:29 PM

I have a male Dr. and I have discussed and asked all sorts of what might be embarrasing topics. One way to look at it is he is not a man, He's a Doctor. Believe me he doesn't see you as a woman, your just a patient
Unread 09-20-2007, 08:16 PM

I have only gone to male doctors. The one I have now I absolutely love! He delivered my 4th child, tied my tubes, and did my surgery. I had no embarassment asking him about sex. Actually, funny story, he told me at my 6 week post op on Monday that sex would be good for me because of my bladder sling. He said that sexual activity will help soften the scar tissue involved with the sling! It was kinda funny, he is telling me to have sex often! DH thought that was pretty funny, too. When I asked him at 3 week post op about me being allowed to have orgasms, he said, "chomping at the bit?" Like I said, I love him! He is great!

P.S. after he delivered my 4th child; he is standing between my legs and says, "I hate to get personal, but when do you want your tubal?" I thought, "how much more personal can you get? You are looking at my crotch!" He is so funny!
Unread 09-20-2007, 11:03 PM

Hi there,
I have gone to both male and female doctors. The doctor I go to now is male. I am an OB nurse, and I also have to work with him! I know what you mean about the way you feel, but just ask, it his his job. You won't be the first or last.
Lorraine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register