sad...2 weeks post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

sad...2 weeks post-op sad...2 weeks post-op

Unread 02-20-2012, 07:52 PM
sad...2 weeks post-op

I started feeling better after about a week and I started decreasing the narcotic pain meds and managing with high does Ibuprofin. But since I'm not numbed out because of the meds, I'm feeling weepy and depressed about never having or being able to have had a baby naturally. Dealt with infertility issues over the past 10 years and thought I was over it...but I feel the depression coming on. Anyone out there that is or has dealt with this? How did you cope?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2012, 09:29 PM
Re: sad...2 weeks post-op

Yes! There are lots of us out here! How you feel is completely normal and valid. You lost your uterus, your fertility and there is a grieving process for this. I cried so much post op. I literally cried for days straight. It's a very hard time and the most difficult thing I've ever been through. I felt gross, unsexy, unfeminine and like my DH would never want me again.

It's important to speak with your doctor about these feelings. Your emotional recovery is as important as your physical recovery. I see you had your ovaries removed, your emotions may be in part due to hormonal imbalance. Your doctor can help you with this. My doctor gave me anti depressants to help me through this. I don cry much anymore but I'm still working on the sadness. It truly is a journey... Somewhat of an odessey at this point!

Hang in there, it does get better! Keep talking to us here and speak to your doctor at your next appt.

Unread 02-20-2012, 09:29 PM

the weeping is absolutely normal hunni its part of the recovery process so to speak, however you are now grieving too, and that will take time, i think there is another forum thread on hystersisters that deals sdpecifically with this grief, if so u will find great support from those who are in the same situation as you. Take care and wish you a good recovery x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2012, 11:58 PM

thank you so much for your support and stories!! It makes me feel so much better just hearing someone that's been through it say that what I'm feeling is normal and it's okay to ask for help!!
Unread 02-21-2012, 12:31 AM

It's totally normal. I have cried SO MUCH, both before and after. Accepting the fact that I could never have my own children was tough, which I think is natural. I hope you have a great support system at home.
I found that taking my short walk outside really helped - the fresh air, the tiny amount of sunlight we get here, and the change of scenery helped relax my mind. I had friends hold my hand for my first several walks, just in case I ran out of steam, and the company was also welcome.
I watched a ton of Bollywood movies in a row. Big, colorful, musical movies with happy endings. If you haven't tried one, there's a bunch on Netflix instant watch right now.
I promise you that as you start to heal you will feel better emotionally as well. I wish you a quick recovery!
Unread 02-21-2012, 07:03 AM

What you are going through is completely normal!! You are most certainly not alone. I was very sad and depressed after my surgery because I never had children if my own. I worked with my and with the right hormone balance and anti-depressant, I feel so much better. I still get sad sometimes when I see babies or pregnant women, but I can control my sadness now.

You are entitled to some grieving. You have suffered a loss and it is natural to be sad about it. It does get better with time.

You might check out the "Aching Hearts" forum as well. There are many woman there going through the same thing and there is a lot of support there.

Its ok to be sad, its ok to ask for help. We are all here for you, so lean on us on your down days and we will do our best to lift you up.

to you!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register