Overdoing it 2 weeks post-hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Overdoing it 2 weeks post-hysterectomy Overdoing it 2 weeks post-hysterectomy

Unread 03-09-2016, 05:13 AM
Overdoing it 2 weeks post-hysterectomy

So yesterday was SUPER nice out, it hit 70 F (21 C) here in my area of the Midwest USA, with winter being officially over as the weather pattern shows a fast, long warm up. I am a very active person by nature and have never been one to lay around. So I've gone stir crazy. With the nice weather, I wanted my DH and I to go for a walk since he's been feeling pretty down too (going from work to home and getting no fresh air himself). We decided to go to a nearby park that is full of nature trails, but it's very muddy when you walk off the beaten path right now due to snow melt.

Needless to say, My pedometer registered 5 miles when we got home. The hives that have been gone since surgery came back in a small amount on my arms and I felt immensely exhausted once I laid down. It was the kind of exhaustion where you feel like passing out asleep but you are too tired to fall asleep (if that makes any sense). I did eventually fall asleep but the time leading up to it was dreadful....
Now I am awake, needed to pee 6 times in the night. I am full of gas pain, but its bearable. I still feel a bit tired, and I had terrible night sweats last night too. For the most part, I know I will feel fine as the day goes on.

I just can't stand not being active. I have never been one to "take it easy." I always push myself as far as I can go. The walk was literally a breath of fresh air. I did get very winded fairly fast, but I kept pushing through it because it's just how I am. The worst about all this is that the pain I feel now is not anywhere close to the pain I suffered prior to the surgery, so I have been worried about this crazy part of me overdoing it because I no longer know my own limitations.
Unless I feel pain, I keep going. And I don't feel any pain besides more bloat than usual. As far as being winded, I have small lungs and I get easily winded when I am not active, especially after I am forced to lay down for a day due to a stomach flu. That is why I did band in high school (trombone) and do a lot of cardio. So after laying down for nearly 2 weeks, being winded was more than expected.

Again, I no longer know my limitations, and with the weather easing up and me overall feeling the best I've felt in over 6 months, it's way too easy to get carried away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2016, 05:54 AM
Re: Overdoing it 2 weeks post-op

Hi, you should ask your Dr about restrictions to get an idea... As far as going stir crazy, not used to sitting around & being inactive, well, we've all been there. What you're experiencing at 2 weeks is common. At 2nd week we feel improvement over the surgery, we've reached a decent amount of hurdles & we expect the rest of recovery to improve at the same rate. In reality, our bodies need rest & time to heal.

If you over do it, you could have a set back & that could take a while to pull out of. Your body will protest when you've done too much. Aches, pains, fatigue, more swelling or even bleeding & other complications internally can happen.

Im not sure about the hives. Put a call into your Dr.

When I had my 2 week check up, I already hit stir crazy. I asked my Dr what can I do, activity. She told me she wanted me to rest. That wasn't what I wanted to hear. Right after that, I had a set back. I was hit with such extreme fatigue, I also had aches & pains all over again. It was back to a heating pad & rest. It took me a week to pull out of it.

Week 3 you should feel a bit better but week 4 & 5 youll feel so much better. So really don't push it. Once I hit week 4, the recovery went by much faster. It was the 1st 3 weeks that felt like they took a long time.

Little walks inide, out side then a rest is good. Get busy with an activity for now, rest, walk again & ritate will help pass this t time & help you recover.

Im normally beyond busy with being self employed, kids, I have horses & dogs so usually Im outside a couple times a day.
Unread 03-09-2016, 07:54 PM
Re: Overdoing it 2 weeks post-hysterectomy

My doctor said that I could go back to normal after Thursday, but I need to work into it. That's the problem I am having. Basically it's up to me now, and just figure out what my body can/cannot do.I do not feel comfortable driving, and I still feel tired picking up anything heavier than a water jug. So getting back to normal is the problem I am having....although not really a problem, just a nuisance (I want to be fixed now )
As for the hives, it's a remnant of Essure. I thought it was all over for me, but I have learned that getting rid of heavy metal toxins takes time so I although it surprised me to have hives again, it didn't really shock me. It wasn't bad and they went away quickly. As summer comes near, I will be getting out and Vitamin D to combat the hives as well as being in overall better health. There's nothing the doctors can do about that besides give me more medications. Honestly I am not one for prescription drugs (I am not wholly against them, I do not want a dependence on them). They do not itch if I do not scratch, so the worst they do is make me look uglier. I have tried OTC pills to no affect. So anything stronger probably will not have an effect either, considering it's not an external allergen.
What I do not like the most is that my fatigue hits me AFTER I do something, there's no real warning sign from my body that is telling me to stop while I am doing something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2016, 07:58 PM

The fatigue is your body just telling you that your body isnt fully recovered & need rest. Theres not really any way around that. Once that goes away, you'll know you shoukd be back to yourself. For me to balance that, I do my activities AM, then fit in a bit of rest, then rotate & spread exercise out thru the day vs all at 1 time. I was active all day today & I can say, finally the fatigue didn't come over me today at 9 weeks. Youll figure out a balance to work for you.
Unread 03-11-2016, 05:49 AM

Walking is great for your recovery, you just may need to work your way up a little more slowly. Next time, maybe try 2 miles instead of 5.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register