Catheter wo's | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Catheter wo's Catheter wo's

Unread 12-28-2004, 01:35 PM
Catheter wo's

I am due for a TAH next month. I was trying to remember when I had 2 c-sections, having a catheter being used. Now maybe it's just my bad memory but is that or is that not, a pretty painful little endeavor in itself? Granted I haven't had one for 13 years but, can anyone tell me if they've gotten better with administering it? Seems by reading many of your comments, that they seem to have gotten better on a number of things. I just was hopeful this might be on the list. I am also thinking of asking for an epidural along with LIGHT gas to put me under...Has that epidural needle gotten any softer? I'd be quite the happy camper if it has, don't cha know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2004, 01:44 PM
Catheter wo's

With all of my surgeries, they inserted the catheter AFTER I was asleep/sedated. This makes it much easier.

You might want to ask for this. It really should not be a problem for the hospital to accomodate you on this.

Good luck to you!
Unread 12-28-2004, 01:46 PM
Great advice

I will do that! Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2004, 02:22 PM
Catheter wo's

americanwoman62,

I think I was more freaked out by the stupid catheter than the surgery itself! hahaha.... They usually put it in after you have been put under so you won't have to have the pain of having it put in while you are awake. Then I was nervous about having it in for up to a day after my surgery. I get uti's from them... My doctor said that he will give me an antibiotic before my surgery and that would help with any infection. I was afraid it would hurt just being there for a day because you'd think that something in "there" would be bothersome but it wasn't. It actually was nice not having to get out of bed until the next morning. It was a little uncomfortable when they took it out but it only lasted a couple seconds...

Good luck!
Unread 12-28-2004, 05:38 PM
Catheter wo's

They usually put it in while you are asleep and taking it out is not painful, just doesn't feel quite right, if you know what I mean.
The catheter should not worry you right now.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register