Pre-Op Insomnia??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Insomnia??? Pre-Op Insomnia???

Unread 07-16-2007, 05:13 AM
Pre-Op Insomnia???

I usually get to sleep pretty easily, but about 3 a.m. I am wide awake and cannot get back to sleep. I am just laying there thinking about my upcoming surgery!! Any one out there experiencing the same thing? Any helpful ideas to get back to sleep??? thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2007, 06:36 AM
Pre-Op Insomnia???

You sound like me while I was waiting for my hyst. I could go to sleep, I just couldn't stay asleep. I found that staying busy during the day so that I was tired at night helped some. Nice long baths at bedtime helped too. I had to stop drinking coffee ( ) after noon. Sometimes, thinking of pleasant memories or planning something nice helped relax me enough to go back to sleep.

Maybe you should call and ask your dr for advice.

Hang in there, just a week to go

S
Unread 07-16-2007, 06:41 AM
Pre-Op Insomnia???

I try reading a book or something on my laptop, reading seems to make my eyes sleepy and calms my mind, ususally puts me back to sleep/ I have also started taking small amounts of melatonin at bedtime, and after a week I find I am falling asleep first, and staying asleep longer, if it were not for the pressure on my bladder now, I surely would sleep all night long. My melatonin are only 1 mg capsules, hard to find but anything higher can give you wild dreams!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2007, 06:52 AM
Pre-Op Insomnia???

Have you tried Tylenol PM. It's mild and works well. I found myself taking that a few nights here and there before my surgery. It's hard when our bodies are exhausted but our minds won't shut off.

Hang in there. Hugs to you.
Unread 07-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Pre-Op Insomnia???

Hi Sky,

I'm a little more than 2 weeks out and having the same problem. It's hard for me because DH and I live in a studio house while we are adding on. Our bed is in the living room and kitchen is open to that. I have been getting up around 3 AM and sitting in the dark in my rocking chair, drinking my coffee and trying not to wake DH. It makes for a long day! I'm not really worried about the surgery itself....it's all the after the fact things on my mind having to do with the day to day things that need to be done. I'll be interested to hear all the responses to this also. I think I will try the Tylenol PM....at least I have another week to see if it will help. I wish you the best in your final week of waiting! Let me know if you find something that helps.
Unread 07-16-2007, 07:57 AM
Pre-Op Insomnia???

Hi Sky2003

YES, you are not alone! I've been having the same problem since I heard the news over a wk ago. I feel tired, I lay only to be staring @ the ceiling, my DH is next to me snoring and I can't stand it -- so of course like any other nice wife would do --- I turned on the TV. I'm so nervous,scared,and yet excited just thinking that one day I'll be pain free.

Please know that everyone on this site can help you tremendously getting over any fears, frustrations,concerns,and questions you may be experiencing. Our systers will also throw in alittle comedy to make your day!

Maria
Unread 07-16-2007, 08:08 AM
Pre-Op Insomnia???

my doc gave me ambien - not extended release - cause i get up so early.
Unread 07-16-2007, 09:05 AM
Pre-Op Insomnia???

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwaveatcows
my doc gave me ambien - not extended release - cause i get up so early.
I had AmbienCR in the hospital in 8/07. I felt very drowsey in the mornings. Ambien (not CR) doesn't leave you feeling that way in the mornings? I didn't know that. When I work or go back to work, I have to get up early and that may be a good thing to try.
Unread 07-16-2007, 09:21 AM
Oh boy I understand

Big time insomnia, even with sleep aids I am not sleeping but I am having to keep trying because I still have to work until Wednesday.
I just keep thinking I am going to get lots of sleep after Friday so I can live with no sleep for about a week
The dreams I am having are really nightmares though and that is adding to it.

To us all getting some sleep very soon

Stephanie
TAH 7/20 ah 4 more days
Unread 07-16-2007, 09:22 AM
Pre-Op Insomnia???

I had trouble going to sleep for a couple weeks prior to surgery as well. If I was home, I ended up sleeping in another room away from my DH's snoring which was just enough to wake me up and activate my brain again. Other tricks I use: Ambien, Schiff's Knock-out (herbal). Do a google search for Swanson Vitamins to find Schiff's Knock-Out.

Most of the time, I made sure I kept busy during the day so I was tired at night, then I'd crawl into bed with my laptop and read HysterSisters until I feel asleep.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register