VH and bladder sling procedure... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

VH and bladder sling procedure... VH and bladder sling procedure...

Unread 06-02-2001, 07:48 PM
VH and bladder sling procedure...

go in 6-6 for both these surgeries. Has anyone had these done together and if so how did the recovery go? I know each one is different but just wondered since no abdominal incision will be invovled if that makes it easier? also, since I am post-menapausal at 59, I was not sure to have ovaries removed. My uterus is prolapsed with no signs of problems. just gravity. I decided to keep ovaries since no ovarian cancer is present in family, my doctor said he would remove them only if he saw a problem. do you think i made the right decision by keeping them. Would appreciate any input. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2001, 08:09 PM
bladder sling

Hi JudyRay77,
I've been asking the same questions - it seems we are having similar procedures. I'm having a LAVH, bladder in a sling, but I am going to have a BSO too. (I know a lot of sisters are against the BSO unless absolutely neccessary.) It was a hard decission to make thats for sure! I would love some information on the "bladder in a sling thing" I too have a prolapsed uterus and heavy bleeding. If I hadn't put this off for so long I might have avoided the "sling." Any way did your doctor say your might go home with a catheter for a while? That idea really bothers me a lot!!!!! I would love any info. you might share. I will be praying for you as my trip to the castle is one day before yours.
Unread 06-02-2001, 09:19 PM

I have the same questions. My surgery is also 6/6/01. I am having TVH, BSO and a bladder sling, but with the bladder surgery they are making an incision about four inches wide just above my pubic line. I wish mine was vaginal like yours.

I was told I probably will come home with a catheter. I am not happy about that. Actually I am a little scared. My DD says that he will actually pull my bladder up and sling that baby in place and then suture it with the ligaments to the pubic area. My right side ligaments gave away and allowed my tipped uterus to fall to my left side and in turn pulled down my bladder.

I made the decision to have the BSO and my DD agrees with my reasons. I have had cysts on my ovaries for over 23 years. I didn't know I had the cysts until I had a lap to explain the severe pain. The DD told me I had blood cysts and polycystic ovaries. I have suffered a lot. But I am concerned that one day the cysts might turn into something else. I don't want to go through surgery again if I don't have to especially if the little buggers would start giving major problems. I know that they will, and I would be kicking myself for not taking them out when I had the chance. This decision may not be for everyone, but it was the only one for me.

My biggest fear is losing my sexuality! That just scares me to death. My DD assures me he will work with me so that I can feel like I do now. I hope he is right.

Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2001, 09:55 PM
Howdy Gals

I am one week post LAVH/BSO with a bladder sling on the side. I feel wonderful except that I am still a little week and tire very easily. The insision sites are tiny and not painful at all. The bladder sling is working exceptionally well for me. I choked on water last night and lo and behold.... dry undies. Yippeeeee.
As far as recovery goes, I have had very minimal pain and am healing very rapidly. It is still weird to go pee. Kind of have to concentrate on it a little and then when I think that I am done, more will work it's way out. I saw the Urologist on Friday and he said that this would eventually go away. Feels like potty training 101 at times .
Please feel free to email me with all of your questions: bandc@northlink.com
Again, the waiting is the hardest part. The boredom after a week on the couch is the second hardest part. I think the key to a wonderful recovery is:
1. Rest, rest, rest and then rest some more
2. Drink tons and tons of water.
3. Take a stool softener at least once a day.
4. Keep a positive attitude as much as you can.

The gas from the LAVH was pretty brutal. Ask the nurses for a heating pad (moist towel from the microwave, wrapped in a chux pad) and put it on the upper part of your tummy. Massage the area above your diaphram so that the gas can break up and distribute it's ugly self to other parts of your body.
Good luck to all of you.
I am available if any of you need me!
Sister hugs and blessings,
Brenda
Unread 06-03-2001, 12:34 PM

Brenda,
Thank you for the infor and response! Did you have to come home with a cath? That is my biggest concern!
Unread 06-03-2001, 01:34 PM

kat-Kat:
i too am worried about the catheter--I realize it probably will be simple enough to adjust to once they show me how, but it still seems sorta scary to deal with. I thought I was really on top of all of this, yet as wed gets closer, I am getting some jitters. I am good at pain tolerance, but still it has been a long time since I have been in a hospital. My wishes are with you and all the others going in this week.
Unread 06-03-2001, 03:16 PM
Kat and Judy

No, I didn't have to come home with the cath although I asked if I could. I didn't feel like I was ready to go pee on my own (scared) However, they took it out anyway and told me that I had to try to go on my own. I was so excited when I sat down and actually went. It felt awkward and different and I really had to concentrate on it but I did it. The chances are pretty slim that you will have to go home with it. As soon as they take it out, drink and drink and drink. The first time I went wasn't good enough for the nurses and they made me wait until I could produce a little bit more for them. As soon as I did, I got to go home.
Please don't worry about the cath. Even if you have to come home with it. The tubes are in the way, but it isn't painful. Uncomfortable and weird but not painful.
Good luck girls and keep the questions coming.
Hugs to you,
Brenda.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register