Ladies who are 40...I need your help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ladies who are 40...I need your help! Ladies who are 40...I need your help!

Unread 10-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Ladies who are 40...I need your help!

Hi ladies,

I am 40 and had a bi-lateral mastectomy a year ago Sept. 14th for breast cancer. This was my second time of dealing with the disease the first was at age 36. After a 16 hour surgery including my totally awsome reconstruction I am now faced with the recommendation for a hystrectomy based on information from the Docs at Mayo in Rochester, MN where I have been receiving all my care..... who by the way I am amazed with the care and confidence I have in them all.

I am most concerned with the hormonal issues that are undoubtdly comming my way. I have a history of depression any way and tend to be a little cranky some days..... the docs are not excited about giving me any hormonal replacements due to my cancer history. Are there other products anyone knows of that will keep me relatively stable and tolerable to live with? I know that having the surgery will keep me alive in the future based on my history and genetic studies, but seriously.... you can only be so hard to get along with...

Any helpful adivce would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2008, 07:04 PM

Hi,

Sorry I don't have any answers for you. I'm sure there are other sistahs who do. Just wanted to send you some hugs. You sound like a strong survivor.

Sandra
Unread 10-19-2008, 07:35 PM

Hi Surviving Grace and

Are you going to have your ovaries removed (oophorectomy) along with the removal of your uterus (hysterectomy)? The reason I ask is...if you keep your ovaries you shouldn't have the need for hormone replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2008, 08:00 PM

I am on Welbutrin- an antidepressant, and it has made a huge differrence for me. I thought I was crying because I didn't want a TAH, which is part of it, but the meds really helped stabilize my moods.
Unread 10-20-2008, 04:25 PM

I only have one ovary now, right one was removed four years ago when enveloped by a tumor. So everything will go..... I'm not worried about loosing all the parts, just the hormonal issues that follow. I currently take Effexor and it works great for now...
Unread 10-20-2008, 05:24 PM
We have a bit in common....

I am a 60 year old, who had a right modified radical mastectomy twenty five years ago. I had a year of chemo that essentially destroyed my ovaries. Now I am about to have a TAH/BSO for complex hyperplasia with atypia. I too am concerned about hormonal issues, since I also won't take HRT. My age may be to my advantage, since I suspect that I've been experiencing my natural menopause (in addition to the chemical one 25 yrs. ago). If I have a surgical menopause too, I'll hold a record for three menopauses!

I don't have any answers for you. Would only suggest that the Dr. who prescribes the Effexor for you is aware of your new surgery, and would perhaps consult with your gyn. There are natural sources of estrogen, but they wouldn't be any safer than HRT, I think.

I thought I could tell from a part of your post that you have gotten to the "nitty gritty" and that is these surgeries are life savers in our cases. I am wishing you the very best!
Unread 10-20-2008, 05:55 PM

Just wanted to send some love,

I have not doubt that our sisters here can answer your questions
Unread 10-20-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surviving Grace
I only have one ovary now, right one was removed four years ago when enveloped by a tumor. So everything will go..... I'm not worried about loosing all the parts, just the hormonal issues that follow. I currently take Effexor and it works great for now...
When you have your left ovary removed (LSO) along with your hysterectomy, you will enter surgical menopause. For me, surgical menopause was treated with HRT. But if you are not a candidate for HRT (based on the evaluation of your medical providers) are you aware that Effexor is sometimes prescribed as a remedy for hot flashes and other bother some menopausal symptoms for women in who cannot take HRT? So, since you are already taking it, you may be "good to go!"

My best advice to you is to keep your medical provider informed about any surgical menopause symptoms that may come your way. Help is available, so there is no need for you to have to suffer.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 10-20-2008, 09:38 PM

Hi I am 48 and am scheduled for surgery Oct 21. Research into Lamical. It is not an anti-depressant, but a very, very, mild mood stablizer. I have suffered all my life with depression and have tried every anti-depressant. Lamictal is used for epilepsy and mood disorders such as bi-polar. As I just suffered from depression, we tried it and it has given me a new lease on life. Whether it works in conjuction with HRP is something that you would have to research into.
Best of everything
Michelle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register