post-op questions - discomfort and vertigo | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post-op questions - discomfort and vertigo post-op questions - discomfort and vertigo

Unread 11-09-2011, 02:14 PM
post-op questions - discomfort and vertigo

Hello,

I'm 44 years old and just had a hysterectomy three (3) weeks ago. It was done completely laparascopically. My uterus and cervix were removed. However, I was able to keep my ovaries.

I'd like to know how others "feel" as they're healing. I haven't been resting near as much as I should, but I think I'm doing pretty well. I only took the pain pills at night during the first week.

By the afternoon, my mid section feels "heavy" and sore and I really need to lay down with the heating pad. I only take 600 mg of Motrin as needed---and it's usually once or twice a day.

Also, sitting is the most uncomfortable position. Do others find this to be the same??

When does the pulling-like feeling in the mid section go away??

One last thing......8 days after my surgery, I developed vertigo. Has anyone experienced this?? It's improved, but I'm still dealing with it---to the point that I wouldn't drive a car.

Well, I think that's it for now....I have more questions related to hormone therapy, but I'll save those for another post.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Vicki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Re: post-op questions - discomfort and vertigo

Oh my goodness, we could be twins! I am 2 weeks post op tomorrow. I went back to work this week (big mistake on my part). I am experiencing vertigo as well. It's not constant, but it will hit me all of a sudden and I almost feel like I could fall down! My stomach feels heavy by afternoon. I feel like I have been hit by a bus at the end of the day. Having trouble sleeping and feel like my emotions have taken over. I kept both ovaries. My doctor's favorite thing to say is "that's normal". I am not being very patient about this and I am just generally ticked off and weepy all the time. I think because I appear physically okay, people assume I am doing well. Watch the video on YouTube of a hysterectomy and you will know why everything hurts.....brutal is all I can say!

Love this site! I don't feel like I am crazy when I get on here! Hope you get to feeling better soon!
Unread 11-09-2011, 02:52 PM

Yes, I find sitting the most uncomfortable. I also get that heavy feeling - mostly if I do too much in one go. I think it is the healing parts saying rest.
I find it best to be busy for short periods with long breaks in between and am gradually increasing what I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2011, 04:08 PM

I was 5 weeks post-op yesterday, and around the 3rd week I started putting in a couple of hours at work and I too developed vertigo. I think I was just overdoing it. It is completely gone now and I feel great! Hope both of you feel better soon!
Unread 11-09-2011, 04:35 PM

It took me at least 1 1/2 months before that heavy feeling disappeared. My doc said that it was just my muscles recovering. I also developed vertigo and went to the doc. I had a pretty bad sinus infection causing that. If it continues, I would see the doc. There are so many things that can cause vertigo.
Unread 11-10-2011, 12:46 PM

I totally agree - sitting is the worst! This is likely to the biggest factor in prolonging my return to a desk job.

I've had bouts of vertigo too. But I've had it in the past due to ear problems and thought it was that. What's causing the vertigo? Anyone know?
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:15 PM

Thankfully, i haven't had any vertigo since my surgery. I do get it from time to time normally. I have been trying to figure out what causes it normally. One thing is tipping my head at certain angles. If you have been sitting, lying in positions that you wouldn't normally do, this might be a reason. I am certainly lying in weird positions at night to compensate for my abdomen.
Another thing that I have found that I think affects me is too much salt - especially processed foods. I have been following the recommendation of drinking plenty of water since my surgery and wonder if this is what is keeping me vertigo free.
I wouldn't discount the idea though that it could either be your body saying slow down, or pain meds if you are still taking them. If it continues, I would see your doctor.
Unread 11-12-2011, 09:04 AM

Hi Ladies--

I certainly don't feel as alone in my "hyster journey" now that you've all chimed in here. It makes such a difference--Thanks.

I wanted to pop in with some more info on the vertigo. I'm hoping some of this could help someone else. I've been doing whatever I can to try to get rid of it. It's better, but not all gone yet. I still wouldn't drive.

One thing that I did that helped was the Epley Maneuver. You need help doing this because of the discomfort in the abdominal area. There is good information online on how to do it. Due to forum rules, I can't post a link for you--sorry. I think this could probably help even more, if I was doing it more. It's just a matter of asking someone to help you.

I've also had a couple acupunture treatments and reflexology. In addition to this, I've been adjusted by a chiropractor twice and it's helped. Today, I also started 2 homeopathic remedies: pulsatilla and silicea. I will let you know how these work.

I just can't wait to be all healed! It's so tough to have patience and rest.

Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register