Can't I do it my way? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can't I do it my way? Can't I do it my way?

Unread 03-23-2004, 09:23 PM
Can't I do it my way?

I would simply tell him no, you do not want it. You have researched it and have made the decion. You are not changing your mind, and that it is your body. Thank him for the concern, but tell him you are sure no HRT. I am sorry you cannot chose another doc.
I too have endo, and there will be no HRT for me either.
Take care,
Carrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2004, 09:47 PM
Can't I do it my way?

Thanks ladies for your support. That's why I'm so glad this board is here. I mostly started this thread to vent...but you all have confirmed that I'm not nuts, and that I should continue to assert my decision for no HRT. I should keep telling him that I know my options, that he doesn't need to continue to remind me. As far as getting a second opinion, I've had several, so I'm not worried about that at all. Getting another doctor...well, I can't. The way the military hospital system works, at this point, it would take two months to get a new doctor, and that's when he's moving anyway...so...
Other than the HRT issue, I totally trust this man. I think he's just worried that I may regret my decision, but I need to keep reminding him that it's *my* decision to make. I guess I was just totally annoyed today, after a series of things happened at the office today...and I was in a lot of pain, so I didn't react well. I was there for a urodynamic test, which went well, by the way. I will not need a sling (YAY!!!) but my bladder only holds half of what it should, because of being surrounded by endo tissue and adhesions. Since I'm not planning on having my cervix removed, he plans on not really touching around my bladder much, but will remove as much of the endo and adhesive tissue as he can, and I may require another surgery in 9 months to get rid of the rest (which i REALLY want to avoid, because of risk of further adhesions.) But....at least there's that, and now I know why I was leaking. It really doesn't bother me...it just means I have to go to the bathroom more often, no biggie.

I go in for my appointment with the anesthesiologist on Thursday morning, and will do the pre op labs then. I'm not nervous at all about the surgery...in fact, am getting really excited. I'm looking forward to a new life, one with a whole lot less pain!

Again, thanks for being here!
Unread 03-23-2004, 10:46 PM
Trust your instincts

Jalynne,

I think you may have already answered your own question. I've had similar experiences with meds other than HRT, but can't give you a specific HRT experience.

I can say that if you feel like your doctor is purshing HRT, he is probably pushing. But why? He is probably used to women coming to him with either complaints of hot flashes and other symptoms and/or he is aware that if women aren't diligent with their diet, calcium supplementation, etc., bone loss, etc. may well be in their future. I don't know where he's coming from, but I really don't care as much as I do about what you want.

This may sound archaic, but what did they do in the day's before synthetic hormones? They survived, they found another way. Perhaps many suffered bone loss or heart disease, but not for lack of taking HRT; in my opinion, from lacking of knowing the alternatives to natural healthcare post menopause.

I'm not saying all women from our Mom's days who had hysterecomies did the right thing when HRT was not available. However, now we know there are natural measures we can actively pursue (calcium supplementation, aerobic and weight-bearing exercise, proper diet, etc.) that I'm certain not only surpass the benefits of HRT but have a healthy profile associated with them instead of side effects.

Every time in the past I have not gone with my "nagging gut" feeling about something, I have regretted it. Yes, of course you have a right to decide personally! And you have lots of time to change your mind, but I don't think you will.

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register