Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jun 21, 2015 - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jun 21, 2015 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jun 21, 2015

Unread 06-21-2015, 09:03 AM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jun 21, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLG_KC View Post
Hello, all! I'm Keri. Age 41 and mother of 4. I was diagnosed with stage 1 cervical cancer on May 11. My TAH is scheduled for tomorrow. I don't know if I'll get to keep my ovaries or not. They both have large dermoid cysts. The doc will decide if they're salvageable once he gets in there.

I'm both glad and terrified that this surgery is tomorrow. On one hand, I want to get this cancer out of me but on the other hand, I'm so afraid of all the possible complications that can occur with a radical hysterectomy. Bladder injuries, possible colostomy, surgical onset menopause, etc. So many worries...

I'll be starting my bowel prep in about 4 hours. Ugh. I'm taking a low dose of Valium and meditating to try to stay calm.

Keri
Good luck with your bowel prep today. I hope that you will have a healthy recovery and will feel much better very soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2015, 09:10 AM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jun 21, 2015

HI I'm Lois. My surgery is June 24 th. I have to be at the hospital at 5:30, my Dr says we will roll into surgery around 7:30. I've been having long heavy painful bleeding that I thought was menstrual but after hormone testing, discovered it is really post menopausal bleeding. The vaginal ultrasound confirmed fibroids, cervical biopsy revealed polyps closing off the os, this lead to more biopsies, which lead to hysteroscopy with D&C, with more bleeding the month after, and bouts of spotting the months after. I just got back last night from vacation to the Yellowstine/Grand Teton and Mount Rushmore area. Now I have productive cough so I'm worried surgery may be delayed. I had my pre- op appointment before I left, and go in for the hospital pre-admit paperwork and blood work tomorrow morning, I am now a bundle of nerves, tears just roll down my cheeks with no provocation. I forgot to mention that I am 53 years old, never married, no children, and live alone. I am an Occupational Therapist working at the hospital where my surgery will occur. Hoping today's chat will calm me down!
Unread 06-21-2015, 09:17 AM

Lois, my surgery is same date and time ( california time).The doctors will make sure you are healthy for surgery, i know a delay would be difficult now, but just know whatever they decide will be for your best interest. Hugs to all of you, ive known about my surgery for over 2 months and the anxiety has been awful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2015, 09:35 AM

Hello ladies! I'm 30 and set for 6/23. TVH. I have endometriosis. I'll be doing I guess bowel prep tonight (laxatives after dinner and only liquid diet tomorrow). Surgery is set for 10 am central time on Tuesday. I'm nervous but, thanks to everyone here, not scared out of my mind anymore.
KLG_KC, good luck. I know you've got to be freaked out. I hope they're able to get all the cancer out.
Unread 06-21-2015, 09:37 AM

Amanda here total hystorecyomy ralh June 24th getting scared but have been waiting 6 years for this good luck to everyone I wish everyone an easy surgery and speedy recovery. I am ready to say goodbye to my endometrios and hopefully for good !
Unread 06-21-2015, 10:06 AM

Welcome to all the Ladies having surgery this week! I am sending you and best wishes for an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery as you head off to the hospital.

A few things I found very useful for my initial recovery:
  • Stool softener
  • Gas X
  • Chewing gum (helps with gas)
  • Peppermint tea
  • Ginger Ale
  • Moist wipes rather than toilet tissue
  • Heating pad
  • Small pillow and also a Body pillow
  • Chapstick
  • Notepad and pen (for keeping track of medications)
Here are a couple of links you may find helpful:
Deep breaths, you can do this! The nerves can be really overwhelming. Try to keep busy, clean the house, cook and freeze meals, and get outside and enjoy your family. Take quiet time for yourself, enjoy a bath and stock up on movies and books for your recovery.

Remember Rule #1 is to
"Pamper the Princess"!

Unread 06-21-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois B View Post
HI I'm Lois....
I am now a bundle of nerves, tears just roll down my cheeks with no provocation. I forgot to mention that I am 53 years old, never married, no children, and live alone. I am an Occupational Therapist working at the hospital where my surgery will occur. Hoping today's chat will calm me down!
Lois,

You are not alone with the tears! This is a very emotional surgery for many of us and it's scary that we go into it with so many unknowns. I also had my hysterectomy at the hospital where I work. It was weird. I recovered on the Surgical Unit which is very removed from the dept I work in so I only ended up bumping into one person I knew... but since I was in a gown and disheveled he didn't even recognize me!

I understand you're concerned about recovering at home alone, but it is do-able. Hopefully you can arrange for a person to come and check on you occassionally and help with anything you need done around the house. It's also important to have someone who is available to run you to the doctor or who can go to the pharmacy for you. You may need help with your first shower, so perhaps ask if you can have a shower at the hospital right before you're discharged. I can't tell you how much better I felt after that first shower! It was exhausting though and I slept for a few hours afterwards.

Article:
Living Alone & Recovering from Hysterectomy

and wishing you the best for your surgery & recovery!

Unread 06-21-2015, 10:19 AM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jun 21, 2015

Hi everone, Im having my surgery on the 26th at 8:15 am. I am very anxious. I am having a LAHV, keeping my ovaries. I am lucky my mom has come to stay with me for a month to help me out. I wish you all the best.
Unread 06-21-2015, 10:26 AM

TeriAbby and KLG_KC,

I am sorry to hear about you cancer diagnosis. I wanted to invite you to our Cancer Concerns forum, where you will find amazing women who have walked this journey and are there to support you and answer your questions. Below are some links for you:

Cancer Concerns Forum

GYN Cancer Articles List

Please know you are not alone, we are here for you on your journey.

Unread 06-21-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewitched54 View Post
Betty here surgery june25, hysterectomy and repairs. Can't sleep have everything set but freaking about about bladder sling and recovery and screwing it up some how , theses internal stitches scare me, never had any major surgery . Any hints on how to see signs of infections, or recovery tips are helpful, oh and I'm not doing a bp. So what's good for a liquid diet . Love this site thanks

It's scary going into surgery, especially when it's our first time and don't really know what to expect. Here are some articles I thought would be helpful for you:

Signs of Infection

Do This - Not That: Hysterectomy Recovery

First Surgery - What to Expect?

Sweetie, you can do this!

Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register