Desperate For Information | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Desperate For Information Desperate For Information

Unread 11-13-2003, 01:39 PM
Desperate For Information

I am a 32 year old female. I have been hurting in my left side for six months now. I had surgery on Firday November 7, 2003. I had a D & C and laperoscopy. The doctor found that I have fibroids and Endometriosis. While they were in there he said that I had a cyst on my right ovary that was full of brown fluid. I went back to my doctor today November 13, 2003. I am still having pain in my left side and the doctor said he was scheduling me for a Vaginal Hyterectomy. That surgery has been scheduled for December 12, 2003. I was wondering if anyone out there has had this type of surgery. What I would like to know is if it requires you to stay in the hospital over night or a couple of night? Also, How painful is it afterwards? How long does it usually take to get over this type of precedure? Please anyone with answers please e-mail me.

Thanks,

Dee Dee Cockrell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2003, 02:20 PM

{{{{{{Dee Dee}}}}} I had a vaginal hyst some 2 years ago and I will try and answer your questions. Just remember, everyone and every doctor is different, so what happened with me might be different for you. I can only give you my experience. Now, I stayed in the hospital for 3 overnights, but I have seen others here be in a little as one day(24 hours). It just depends on your doctor and how well you do along with insurance concerns. The pain post op is very manageable and usually is alot less painful than what you might be experiencing now. The type of pain medication you might receive again depends on your doctor. Please discuss this with him at your pre op appt. Initial recovery is 6 to 8 weeks but most doctors feel it can take up to a year for complete recovery. I hope this helps somewhat and I am sure others will be along shortly to add to my post. Good luck with your surgery!

Emily s
Unread 11-13-2003, 05:01 PM

I just had a lavh on 11/6. I have 3 cuts in the belly extra and pain was not bad at all. The only real pain was from the gas. I had no pain medicine in the hospital and have only taken 1 pain pill since I got home and that was 1/2 a pill for 2 nights to help sleep. Finding a comfortable position is the hardest thing and even the little tings can wear me out still but honestly the pain I experienced before was much worse. Remember though all people are different and I have a high tolerance for pain. It really wasn't so bad. I was scheduled to stay 3 days but the Dr. let me out the following evening.

Best of luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2003, 06:08 PM

Greetings liw!
I had a tvh on 11/6/03 and kept ovaries. I had the procedure as I was at high-risk for cancer. My stay in the hospital was 1 night after the procedure. We are celebrating tonight 1 week anniversary and also received report from pathologist and I am CANCER FREE. I didn't have much pain before the procedure. so the pain has been more than I like. I have graduated to 2-3 tablets of vicoden a day and am working to bring that down.
I have spent the last week laying down as much as possible. The pillow police have been after me for awhile but I've done pretty well. My energy level is low and depleted. From other posts, I understand that this will improve. I plan on taking 4 weeks off from work. I'm a workaholic but want and need to take this time. I'm fortunate enough to have a generous leave plan and will paychecks even if I needed to stay out 8 weeks.
The waiting was absolutely the worst. Love your family and laugh with your friends and tolerate your waiting period. And remember that this too shall pass.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register