What to bring??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to bring??? What to bring???

Unread 05-05-2005, 06:07 PM
What to bring???

Can anyone help???

I am scheduled for a Tvh and I am not looking forward to the hospital stay. Can anyone tell me what I need to pack in my hospital bag for this journey into the unknown??

I appreciate the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2005, 06:15 PM
What to bring???

I packed the following:

Robe-since you will be up and walking the halls

Gas X-(the procedure can give you bad gas pains and this helps - although you should clear it with your doctor)

Hard candy for the sore throat I had from the airway they put in during surgery

BenGay for muscle soreness from laying in limited positions. I could only lay on my back for a few days.

I found these things helped, there are some other posts on the pre-surgery portion of the site too that have suggestions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
SAH on 4/8 vertical incision to remove 6 inch fibroid + ovarian cyst. Also removed left ovary.
Unread 05-05-2005, 06:17 PM
What to bring???

Hello Jmddc!

I'm Joyce *aka boomboom and I had a TAH on 3/23/05. What I packed was, comfy pj's (I can't stand hospital gowns!!), some warm socks, my own toothbrush and toothpaste, a big sweatsuit that I wore to the hospital I also wore it home, tennis shoes, hairbrush and any toiletries that you think you may need. I have very dry skin and I needed my special lotion *but I asked the nurse if it was OK to use it and it was fine*. That was about it. Good luck and let all of us "hyster sisters" know how you are feeling, ok?

Love and take care,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2005, 06:18 PM
What to bring???

Oh yes,

1. your own pj's
2. slippers
3. robe
4. phone calling cards and numbers
5. magazines
6. pictures of your DH or other loved ones
7. thank you cards for your hosp. staff
8. candy for those who care for you, chocolate big hit
9. any personal items you prefer face soap ect.
10. good smelling air freshner spray for after gas.....
11. your fav. lotion
12. tv guide from your local paper
13. your own pillow is very comforting
14. a light weight polar fleece blanket (the hosp tucks in the blanket and when you start getting up by yourself it is heavy and difficult to move under. I found my light weight polar fleece much better.

these are the extra things I found to be very comforting, remember whatever you forget your helper in life can always bring!

Billie
Total abdominal histerectomy with ovaries removed and cervix plus gall bladder. 4-12-05
Unread 05-05-2005, 06:25 PM
What to bring???

A very helpful hint from a sister before I went in was to bring a fanny pack that I could attach to the side of the bed on the bars with my chapstick, hard candy, tea bags, a notepad and pens and a couple of other things that were good to have right there.

I found my little tummy pillow to be of good use.

Make sure whatever you bring to wear home is VERY comfy (I wore the same thing in and out). I had slip-on shoes too, so I didn't have to bend to tie laces.

I also used my robe (lightweight), but only after the IV came out.
Good luck!
Fro-yo
Unread 05-05-2005, 06:59 PM
The Big Day-lol

Girl let me tell ya! I was not going to have this surgery w/o looking my "semi-best"! lol

I went in around 11:30am with my hair done up and makeup on (minus actual eyeshadow). I refused to look like a dead fish. When I even put my surgical cap on I did so in a stylish way. I so tickled myself.

In my bag I had my toothbrush and paste, my satin, polka-dot pj's with my slippers (I knew I'd be shuffling around the nurses station soon) and a change of panties. My efforts paid off in doing my hair and makeup....although I felt like CRAP I looked great up until about the 3rd day when I mustered up the energy for a shower. Then the plain "I'm in the hospital" look was on!

Go in style is what I say! Treat yourself to a new, cute set of pj's just for your big day. You'll be glad you did.
Unread 05-05-2005, 07:01 PM
What to bring???

Oh yes....and a comfy robe!
Unread 05-05-2005, 07:02 PM
What to bring?

Aside from all the good items that have already been listed, a lifesaver for me was to bring earplugs! I had the roomate from H---. She had knee replacement and was in tremendous pain. When she was awake, she was a "moaner and groaner", and when she slept she was a Snorer! There was never a quiet moment. So, the earplugs worked wonders and allowed me to sleep at night. She also kept her TV on 24 hrs on low volume. I was glad to be discharged on day 3 and back in my own bed! PEACE and REST.

SB
Unread 05-05-2005, 08:19 PM
What to bring???

I found this article here on histersister site to be helpful...It also brought up some additional questions I have for my preop visit ...

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...hp?s=&id=96850
Hope this helps you too ...
Unread 05-06-2005, 04:20 AM
What to bring???

well I just got back two days ago and what I thought was the most helpfull was my mp3 player. I found I couldn't focus on anything so both nights I was there, I just put on my head phones and so I listend to my tunes while I popped in and out of la-la land. Plus it drowned out any noise going on around me.

Also the mints to suck on. I was soo dang thirsty when I woke up and water wasn't doing the job. I called my dh and asked him to bring me mints. He brought life savers fruit flavors. Not a good idea. The sugar was so overpowering that was the only time I was sick to my stomach. I am not sure exactly what type would have helped because my tase buds are still out of whack but I am thinking like the butter mints that dissolve very fast would have been ok that way you have the flavor but its not going to be hanging around in your mouth for a long time.

Other than that it was the standard change of pj's, robe, slippers, undies (even got to wear my new pretty ones w/o worries of stains) and toiletries and lots of lotion the iv must had dried my skin out horribly I looked like a lizzard on day 2.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register