Please help me. You ladies know so much! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please help me. You ladies know so much! Please help me. You ladies know so much!

Unread 08-08-2005, 08:29 AM
Please help me. You ladies know so much!

Hi All, I'm new here. I had an ablation in Oct of 04. It was WONDERFUL!! No bleeding for 9 months. Then BAM! I started having the worst pain in my right lower side.(I've had 3 Babies!) This pain made me feel like I was going to pass out. It made me throw up! I went to the doc a couple days later.(The soonest they could see me) and the checked me out. I was still very tender. They said I must have had a cyst on my ovary and sent me home. Told me if it happened again to call them. Well 6 weeks later it happened again. The pain was not as severe, but it was really bad. Lasted 4 days. I went in right away. Saw one of the partners. The check me and said that my uterus was very distended. They did an ultra sound right then. They said my uterus had regenerated(sp?) and that my lining was very thick. That I had a lot of fluid and that there was to much scaring on the cervix so that it was trapped. YUCK!!!!! The doc said that I had 2 options, 1. try to dilate the cervix to do a d&c see if that helps or a partial hyst.
If anyone see's this please respond. I go to the doc in the morning and need to know what to ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-08-2005, 03:06 PM

i wouldn't know what to ask but thought i would just give you a little so maybe someone else will know.

jane321
Unread 08-08-2005, 04:17 PM

Thank you so much for you comfort. I wish more people would respond. I feel so .... This must be really strange or something. Just figures, If it's weird, I'll happen to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-08-2005, 05:22 PM

If they dialate the cervix and do the d&c..what's the liklyhood of having to do it again? If they do the partial hyst, what all are they going to remove? If they do the partial hyst. are they going to be looking for endo also?
If they have to remove your ovaries, are you going to be on HRT.
How long will you be off work? Are you going to be in the hospital? If so, for how long?
These are some of the questions i'd be asking...
I wish you the best
Hugz
Bernadette
Unread 08-08-2005, 08:24 PM

Hi Pinkstoc,
I'm so sorry you are suffering with this.
I had a similar situation a few months after my ablation.. I began bleeding again and the blood was being trapped under the ablation-scarred lining, causing (very)severe cramps similar to labor pains. I was told by 2 GYNs that a hyst was the only option left. I wasn't given the options you are being given. I also had a confirmed case of adenomyosis (found during the ablation & myomectomy) but I had the impression the hyst was their recommendation regardless of the adenomyosis.

I'd maybe ask what success rate you could expect with the D & C route, how good are the odds? (A D & C would be easier than a hyst if it would work. If it doesn't, then the hyst would be a no-brainer.)
Is the cervix the only area causing the problem or is it possible the blood is being trapped under other scarred areas of the lining as well? Maybe going over your ultrasound report together can answer some of your questions. I would probably also ask about the thickness of the regenerated uterine lining and whether that in itself would be problematic even if the cervix were able to pass the blood? Is the lining back to the point it was pre-ablation? Would you perhaps be a candidate for a repeat ablation? If a hyst is recommended, would it be partial or total and why?

I hope your doctor is able to help you with your decision. I was eager to have my sugery before another horrific period, but unfortunately I had to go through two more. I think the only thing that got me through was knowing the end was in sight.

Good luck with your appointment. Please let us know how it goes. I'll be thinking of you.

Best wishes & s, Beth
Unread 08-09-2005, 03:22 AM

Hi Pinkstoc
I had a similar experience to you. I also had an ablation last October. Two months later I started to have severe lower right pain. A few weeks later I started bleeding again. Two ultrasounds showed a mass in the right adnexa.
Given my previous history my gyn opted for a hysterectomy. It turned out the mass was my right fallopian tube, which had swollen to be 2cm thick. (My right ovary was removed 24 years ago). I suspect the ablation caused the infection in the tube, my gyn is not so sure.
I hope you get some satisfactory answers from your doctor. If I were in your shoes I would be opting for the conservative option 1st, and if all else fails then go for the hyst. I wish now I had asserted myself a bit more and asked that he check the mass out laproscopically.
Regards
Unread 08-09-2005, 05:15 AM

What is adenomyosis?
Beth you have really helped with your questions for the doctor today.
Woodstock 2, I was wondering about infection.I did have a tubal at the same time as the ablation. If you ladies have any more suggestions, I thank you!
Unread 08-09-2005, 08:14 AM

Here's a link explaining adenomyosis.

More s ~
Beth
Unread 08-09-2005, 01:11 PM

I just got back from the doctor. He tried to go up through my cervix to take a sample of the uterine lining. He could not get through the scaring in my cervix. Bottom line is my cervix is locked down with scar tissue. I have fluid trapped in my uterus and also in my abdominal cavity. He said that he could get me in the O.R and try to diliate my cervix and do a d&c. He fells that it will not really help or if it does it will be very short lived. He told me to go get a second opinion and to let him know what I want to do. And I will. He told me that even if I want to wait, that I still need to have another ultrasound in 60 days to make sure everything is Okay.
I worry about all that stuff being trapped inside of me. That can't be healthy. Can't it get infected?
The doc told me that with the hyst, that he would leave my ovaries and tubes but would take the uterus and cervix. I will need to go through the tummy due to the scar tissue in uterus from c-sections (worries about bladder and bowel). He also wants to be sure that he gets all the endrometrum(SP?) Does this all sound right? I'm kinda in a panic right now. Unsure of what to think.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register