6 weeks tomorrow... Am I the only one?! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 weeks tomorrow... Am I the only one?! 6 weeks tomorrow... Am I the only one?!

Unread 10-28-2013, 03:20 PM
6 weeks tomorrow... Am I the only one?!

I will be 6 weeks tomorrow and am still having bad pain an soreness after doing pretty much anything I returned to work today for 4 hours I am a hair stylist... I couldn't even blow dry my clients! Now I feel horrible! My doc and hubby think I should be back to normal by now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Re: 6 weeks tomorrow... Am I the only one?!

Unless your husband has had a hysterectomy, I don't think he is qualified to make that determination. I keep telling my husband that! LOL. Your job requires heavy use if your abdominal muscles by keeping your arms up. Be careful!
Unread 10-28-2013, 04:09 PM

I am six weeks tomorrow too and I feel exhausted if I overdo it. I feel good but not close to myself. I went to a farm for fall pumkins etc. and walked a lot (but nothing I would consider more then light exercise) with my family on Thursday and started spotting/light bleeding. So, no, you are absolutely not alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2013, 04:15 PM

I'm 6 weeks post revision and saw my doctor today because I'm still in pain. I do have an infection, but she said regardless...."You are still healing from major surgery" she also said I still need to be careful. Take all the time YOU need to heal Charleym_xo! Your the one who will pay the price if you don't
Unread 10-28-2013, 04:20 PM

Thanks ladies! I am glad I am not alone! Calling my doc tomorrow about half an hour after I got home I started bleeding more than spotting but less than a period
Unread 10-28-2013, 04:37 PM

I went back to work after 5 weeks, in a factory, on my feet all day. I never felt so exhausted in my life! I began to wonder if I had made a mistake, but economically, it wasn't feasible for me to remain off any longer.

Although I was told I could have bleeding for up to 6 months, I was lucky in that I didn't experience much post-op bleeding but at my 6 week exam had to be treated w/ silver nitrate because my doctor felt I wasn't healing at the rate he expected. I used a self-imposed "light duty" at work and luckily, had the support of my co-workers to ensure I didn't do too much too soon. The first weekend after I went back, I was so tired and emotionally spent I either cried or slept most of it.

You and only you know when you're ready to take on more. If there are things you can do at work to make it easier, by all means, engage your fellow stylists or boss to help you. Best wishes as you continue your recovery.
Unread 10-28-2013, 05:52 PM

I truly empathize with you all at 6 weeks post-op, still experiencing pain/fatigue. I am 6 weeks post op TAH tomorrow. I ran some errands today, haircut appointment and some shopping. I was so fatigued and very sore only after a few hours of leaving home. I haven't had any recent complications that have delayed my healing. I go back to work full time tomorrow as a child care teacher. I am a float so I cover several classrooms in a day, along with cleaning jobs, and some outdoor work. I feel like crying right now, and do not know how I will manage 8 hours with mild to moderate pain, low energy/fatigue, plus a low grade fever by late afternoon. I have no lifting restrictions when I return, since at 4 weeks, my doctor said I was healing well. I wish I could have had 2 more weeks off from work, but my surgeon thought she was overly generous by giving me 6 weeks off. Maybe it is my fault that I don't have much stamina at 6 weeks post-op...I should have pushed myself more physically starting at week 4. I wish I wasn't feeling so discouarged about going back to work tomorrow. I plan on pushing myself at work and then going to bed early. Nobody at my work has ever had a hysterectomy, so I don't think anyone will comprehend that I don't feel 100% yet. I am seriously irritated when I voice my concerns to friends about not feeling ready to return to work, and they reply "You can do it!" I know they are trying to be encouraging, but it sounds a bit condescending....maybe I am just over-sensitive right now. I pray the best for each one of you. I was overly optimistic that I would bounce back to normal quickly. This recovery time is challenging!
Unread 10-28-2013, 06:52 PM

You are not alone! I am 7.5 weeks now and I still have some pain and pulling and tugging. Especially if I walk lots. I still can't push things like a grocery cart without some discomfort. It does get better though.
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:02 PM
6 weeks tomorrow... Am I the only one?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleym_xo View Post
I will be 6 weeks tomorrow and am still having bad pain an soreness after doing pretty much anything I returned to work today for 4 hours I am a hair stylist... I couldn't even blow dry my clients! Now I feel horrible! My doc and hubby think I should be back to normal by now
I will be 5 weeks tomorrow,and I have cramps mostly at night. lower back ache, cramps, pulling, just after doing light housekeeping. we are all just work in progress.....
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:43 PM

Glad I found this thread. I will be 6 weeks post op on Wednesday, and I begged my doctor to let me return to work for just two hours a day. I'm a high school English teacher and my AP students were getting very restless with a sub for 6 weeks. Half way through my first class I started to bleed. I knew i had soaked my pad and was worried that my students would notice that I was bleeding all over. I made it my two hours, but had to waddle out of the building with toilet paper wadded up in my undies. So discouraging. Despite starting out as a ridiculously fit (i'm an ultra runner, what can i say?) and healthy 40 year old woman, I have had one of the slowest recoveries of my hyster cohort (by the way, you might consider joining us - we're a fun group! hysterectomies from 9/16-9/22). I ended up back in the OR for a repair after passing a hematoma two weeks ago, and have been scared of any discharge ever since. I'm not supposed to resume any kind of physical activity until at least 8 weeks from my surgery date, and I'm not sure my doctor will release me to return to work full time when she sees me on the 5th. In the past week, as my nerves wake up and my fascia repairs, I've had more pain than I had at any other point post op.

I guess I'm just confirming what you already know: it doesn't matter how old or young or fit or sedentary you might be - some of us heal slower and some of us have more pain later in the game. And we all hoped for a quick and easy recovery, but some of us didn't get what we wanted. I share your discouragement and disappointment. Which also feels like anger and grief and frustration and an overall desire to just give up. But don't. Take it easy. Be kind to yourself. I'm sorry you're struggling, and I'm sorry I am too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register