New here with lots of questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here with lots of questions New here with lots of questions

Unread 06-23-2002, 08:36 PM
New here with lots of questions

I will only start with a couple. Has anyone had a hysterectomy for relief of intractible migraines? That is what mine will be for should I choose to accept it. Second, I would have to have my ovaries and all taken out. Can you keep your cervix without the rest? If you don't have a cervix, whats at the end of your vagina? I imagine a big gaping hole. Finally for now, when you have a total, I assume you immediately go through menopause, but how long does it last?

Thanks so much for all you help and answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2002, 08:59 PM
Hi Redridinghood,

Welcome to Hystersisters!

I can't answer your question about having a hyst just for migraines. I do have hormone-related migraines and I'm hoping that having had the hyst, it will have put an end to the headaches too. I also kept my ovaries, so I can't answer about the menopause issue either. I do know that you could be started on HRT (hormone replacement therapy) which would halt the menopausal symptoms for as long as you stay on it. Maybe someone will be along soon to answer these questions for you.

I can tell you that when the cervix is removed, the surgeons make what is called a vaginal cuff. Think of an empty toilet paper roller. You would pinch one end to close it and then sew across it to make an end to it. That's very similar to what is done. The vaginal vault is then sewn to ligaments to support it.

Please feel free to post any questions or concerns you might have. There is a wealth of information to be found here, and even better is the wonderful support from caring ladies who are or who have been in your shoes.

s,

Lisa
Unread 06-23-2002, 09:09 PM

Thanks for answering the cervix question. I hadn't thought about it until now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2002, 09:18 PM

Welcome to the best sight on the web! If your cervix is removed they stitch the top of your vagina where your cervix use to be or else yes there would be a gapping hole! As far as I know you can keep your cervix if everything else is removed but I am not 100% sure! And cam you give a little more info on your reason for the hyster I don't quite understand! Best wishes, good luck, and s
Unread 06-23-2002, 09:58 PM
Re: New here with lots of questions

Quote:
Originally posted by redridinghood
If you don't have a cervix, whats at the end of your vagina? I imagine a big gaping hole.
OH MY!!! LOL! Sorry to laugh but I almost fell off my chair! I swear I thought I was the only person who thought this. I asked my ob/gyn what would happen after sex with my hubby cuz I didn't want anything free floating in there yuh know and she burst out laughing (which was a good sign to me ) and she proceeded to tell me about the vaginal cuff.

Thank you so much for reminding me....it made today all worthwhile!!!

Shelley
Unread 06-23-2002, 10:41 PM

Havent heard of that reason for one,but i can tell you if you have a total and have everything removed they will start you on hormone therapy immediatly. When ther remove a your cervix it lt leaves a cuff. Kinda like a rollded up sock..
Unread 06-30-2002, 01:23 PM

Just to clarify things, clinically speaking: The term hysterectomy refers only to the removal of the uterus. A "total" hysterectomy means the entire uterus is removed, including the cervix, which is the "neck" of the uterus. If your Dr. told you you're having a "total" hysterectomy, your cervix will be gone. So, you can have a total hysterectomy, vaginally (TVH) or abdominally (TAH), and STILL have ovaries and tubes left in. When ovaries are removed, that is an oophorectomy...when tubes are removed, that is a salpingectomy. When both tubes and ovaries are removed, that is a bilateral salpingoophorectomy (BSO). If you keep your cervix the term would be referred to partial, subtotal, or supracervical hysterectomy. You can keep your cervix depending on your dr's skills and have all the rest taken out but it's good do some research about keeping cervix and discuss with your dr. what may be best for you. With some types of surgeries like TVH the cervix must go because the uterus can't just be pulled through the cervix without taking the whole uterus out. Here are some links about cervix issues.
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ghlight=cervix
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ghlight=cervix

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register