Pre-Op done, here are notes | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op done, here are notes Pre-Op done, here are notes

Unread 02-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Pre-Op done, here are notes

[size=3]Hi princesses.
Today was my pre-op appt at the castle.
On Monday, Feb 14 Valentines Day, I will enter the castle for a few days.
I am having a vaginal hysterectomy (uterus only) with rectocile and cycstocele repairs. (A & P repair)
Nurse said:
Nothing after midnight the 13th
morning of the 14th, shower with "special" sponge
No deodorant, powders, perfumes, hairbands, or jewelry.
Go to surgical day care ward one hour before surgery
get poked with IV
take a happy pill (at my request) to calm nerves
wait till they call me
wake up in recovery for about 2 hours
wheel to my room
start pushing pain med buttons as I so choose
sleep

Does this sound familiar to any of you. I am trying to be calm and analytical about the whole thing, but am having a mild panic attack.

Please reassure me

Thank you ladies

Barbi from BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2005, 09:02 PM

Sounds about right to me... the only difference in mine is I have to give myself an enema the morning of the surgery... Yuck (and is that going to hurt my hemmorhoids? I know ... sorry)

Hope that everything goes well for you!!!
Unread 02-02-2005, 09:31 PM
That's about the size of it

I am 1.5 week post-op. I would say ask for the happy pill early in pre op. I cried off and on for an hour before I got anything. Also, they shaved me in Pre-op. If I would have known, I would have done it myself at home.

Waking up took me just about as long as surgery itself. I had a LAVH and had very very little pain afterwards. Day after surgery the only pain meds I took were Tylenol. Gas pains were killer for a few days.

The worst of it for me are the hormone adjustments.

I can relate to the panic attacks. I had them off and on for a month. My pre-op cocktail was my lifesaver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Upcoming Surgery

We share a surgery date! Won't it be the most romantic Valentine's Day you've ever had! I told DH that the chocolates better be waiting at home when I'm released. In the meantime, I'll be checking to see if you can get chocolate in the Castle via IV.

Did the date seem suddenly close once you flipped the calendar from January to February? Now I'm just waiting to get in over.

Good luck and let me know when you get home.

Mary Ann
Unread 02-03-2005, 01:46 PM

Hey fellow BCer. What happen to our sun? Your description sound pretty much like my experience. Probably can't hear it enough, but the waiting really is the worst part. Hope you have a speedy and uneventful recovery.

Enjoy those chocolates!!
Sirap
Unread 02-04-2005, 09:36 AM
Pre-Op Coctail

Thank you ladies for your replys.
I will be shaved in pre-op
They told me that bacteria grows rapidly on shaven "V"'s, which is why they like to do the job.
Hey, get my V done on V day
I will ask for the pre-op cocktail, as I am a mess with only 10 days to go
Yes, when I turned the calendar, I gasped. I have so much to do to prepare my DH (what is a DH anyway) and family

I will be thinking of you Sirap, as we share the same V Day.
Or is it that we share the same province.
Yeah, what about our weather. It seems to be coinciding with my moods lately.

Look forward to hearing from you princesses soon.

Barbiotion:
Unread 02-04-2005, 10:20 AM

Barbi,

Good luck on your surgery. It is the same kind I am having, LAVH and all. I look foward to reading your posts after surgery. I'm kind of scared too. I keep pretending it's still Jan. so I don't have to think about my surgery. So, shhhhh. LOL.

By the way, I think DH means Dear husband.
Unread 02-04-2005, 12:30 PM

To you soon to be Princesses on this post. Be sure to read my castle experience in the "Princesses Tell" section. Yes, it was really scary leading up to the surgery in retrospect . . .it turned out quite well and easy for my LAVH. Maybe I was just lucky because I didn't require any repair work. But my number one tip is ASK for an anti-anxiety in Pre-Op. As weird as it sounds, I was still very alert and "with-it" after the drug was given to me. The only thing that disappeared was my fear and anxiety.

I am sitting here on my couch almost 2 weeks post-op. I have the energy to other things but I sit because if I get started I won't know when to stop and then I'll feel terrible at the end of the day. I was feeling so well when then sent me home that I didn't even bother with a prescription for a painkiller. Advil worked just fine. The laparoscopic technology is simply amazing. I can't wait to get back to yoga but I will not indulge in the urge until I get the doctors ok. I have had small outings not lasting more than an hour and driven myself a few blocks to the store. For my morning exercise I take my daughter to school and then come home and watch TV or surf the net from my couch until lunchtime.

I cancer is gone and at 35 I feel like I'm having my second wind. I can't wait to take flight!

Good luck, be brave! All will go well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register