just back from the doctors - fluid in abdomen causing pain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

just back from the doctors  - fluid in abdomen causing pain? just back from the doctors - fluid in abdomen causing pain?

Unread 07-07-2008, 06:09 PM
just back from the doctors - fluid in abdomen causing pain?

hello all
just back from the doctors a short while ago,I feel a little discouraged with how it went. She said most people are doing a little better by now, when i told her it still hurts when i pee she said it should go away unless i had bladder problems before the hysterectomy I didn't. When I ask about the chills and then iget hot she said my hormones should not have changed. When i ask about back aches she didn't know why I might have them, when i ask about the stabbing pain where my cervix used to be she said it takes time . She did say that I may have some fluid (blood) in my abdomen and it could be causing me more pain.Anyone know anything about this? She said it should disolve back into my system unless it is an infection then they would have to drain it. She wants me to keep an eye on my temp. and if it gets over 100 get in to see her. if anyone has had to deal with this please let me know how it worked out for you.thanks and God Bless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2008, 07:49 AM

Hi!

It can be discouraging to not heal as quickly as others. Sometimes it's hard to know if symptoms are a normal part of the recovery process or a sign of trouble so it's good that you made your doctor aware of all the symptoms you are experiencing.

If you continue to have pain when urinating, your doctor can check to see if you have a urinary tract infection. Those are pretty common post-op. I'm assuming you kept your ovaries and aren't on hormone therapy but it is possible that your ovaries aren't functioning to capacity because of the surgery. If you have symptoms of low estrogen such as hot flashes, night sweats, etc. ask your doctor about hormone therapy or over-the-counter supplements that could help even things out for you until the ovaries "wake up".

Hopefully there will be others along who can relate to the pain you're experiencing. You definitely are not alone.

I hope you start feeling better very soon.

s
Unread 07-08-2008, 08:21 AM

Im having the same problems....pain with urination...not burning but pain shooting....very painful....lower back pain too. I called my gyno becuz my surgeon was on vaca...(my gyno did the surgery with the surgeon) and got a prescription for a urinary tract infection...because I have had many before and new the symptoms...well its been three days on antibiotics and nothing has changed...so Im thinking maybe its not a UTI. Every other part of my recovery is going very well besides this. But thankfully, I have my post up today(to get my 20 staples out) with the surgeon and will definately fill him with whats going on.....I will repost when I get home to let you know what my surgeon says.....He;s an awesome surgeon and he worked very close with my gyno.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2008, 08:26 AM

Hi
I experienced bleeding from the hematoma in my abdomen 10 days after surgery. I have had 2 CT scans to make sure it is going away. The bleeding stopped after 2 and a half weeks. I still have a light discharge but the blood is goiing away. I did have the option of draining it but chose to let it resolve itself. However I am now 8 weeks post op and still in pain. I am going in this week to find out what can be done if anything at this point. I went back to work and that has been a challenge. I would like to be off pain pills and back to my old self but after reading through all these posts I think it may be a while. Even small complications can be agrivating.
Hang in there. Lets give it time.
Unread 07-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Infection and Hematoma/Still light bleeding vaginally and anus 5 weeks today

Well here's another update!
So I'm home tryin to rest and get better... I get a call from my Doc.

Ok let me go back to the beginning..
Had TAH (Total Abdominal Hysterectomy) on June 2...Surgery had to be moved back a few hours because someone had done my stress test wrong and it showed that I had ... had a heart Attack! I'm 43 by the way! So they had me and my family tore up untill they cleared it up and did another and said the first one was done wrong even though they bout gave us all a Heart Attack.

So I have the surgery like 6 hours later... the surgery went well... spent the next 3 days in hospital .. usual pain and gas like every one else.

Went to my parents house to recover and by Friday... (Had surgery on Monday) By Friday I began to fill ill... by that evening my fever had soared to 103.. my parents had to rush me to the ER. I was out of my mind don't remember much. They took tons of blood and ran a CT scan and found I had an abcess .. infection on my vaginal cuff. A pocket of infection. So they put me back in the hospital for another 3 days and fed me Iv antibiotics constantly. Said that I had MRSA...
I was like well this is BAD!
Finally got the fever down enough to go back to my parents house. Was there another 3 days or so before I was able to come home.

About a week after the surgery I began to bleed. They said I had a Hematoma blood clot had formed in the vaginal cuff with the infection and that I needed to have an internal ultrasound done. Because on fathers day I began bleeding down my leg.. soaking pads. Another trip to the ER!!!

Next day... went for the ultrasound and he said that it needed to be drained out. So I sit there for 5 hours to make sure the food in my body was gone enough to do this procedure. They stuck a needle up in my vaginal cuff thru my vagina to try to drain it but they said that it was solid .. like jell-o and only got enough out to send off to the lab.

So I go back to my Doc the next day .. and well he tells me that it will all be ok and that my test came back that I did NOT have MRSA... well that was GREAT news. That I just had some little infection and to take another round of antibiotics... mind you these have cost so far about 400.00.
And this round of antibiotics should clear me all up. But he was not sure when the bleeding would stop.

(By the way I say my Doc but really My Doc is a female and she is the one who did the THA .. but she had surgery right after I did and is out for 6 weeks herself so I have not been able to talk to her and she knows nothing about all my complications and the male Doc who I have been seeing in her place doesn't have the best bed side manner! He has been short with me and has not taken the time to explain all this to me and my family).. The vaginal exam he gave me he was ruff and didn't take time to explain my path report! I mean we all want to know what was causing our pain and want to know what they found. And he just quickly looked over the report and said yeah your Uterus was messed up ... or something called adenomyosis. And then he tried to dart out of the room I told him I needed to talk about my night sweats and hot flashes that my female doc was going to put me on something.. so he quickly wrote out script for Pemerian...( hormone Replacement) whatever it's called. I'm not even sure that is what she wanted me on.
Definition
Adenomyosis is a condition in which tissue that normally lines the uterus (endometrium) also grows within the muscular walls of the uterus. This is most likely to happen late in your childbearing years and after you've had children.

Adenomyosis isn't the same as endometriosis — a condition in which the uterine lining becomes implanted outside the uterus — although women with adenomyosis often also have endometriosis. The cause of adenomyosis remains unknown, but the disease typically disappears after menopause. For women who experience severe discomfort from adenomyosis, there are treatments that can help, but hysterectomy is the only cure.

Although adenomyosis can be quite painful, the condition is generally harmless. Learn more about adenomyosis, including its signs and symptoms, when you should see a doctor and what the best treatment might be for you.

So I leave thinking that we'll it's just a small infection and that it should be clearing up soon and to see my regular Doc when she comes back in July!

So here I am today... He calls me and tells me that my culture came back and I have ... Enterococcus Faecalis...and that he had to change my antibiotics... really!!! And that Home Health care has to come and give me a IM Shot and that if my fever goes to 100.4 to call the office. I'm sitting here thinking what in the Heck! He told me everything was fine a week and a half ago!

So his nurse calls me back and tells me I have to go out to the Hospital and pick up these 2 perscriptions... and come straight over to their office so she can give me the shot.
So I look it up before I go and this is what it is!!!

Enterococcus: Bacteria normally found in the feces of people and many animals. Two types of enterococci -- Enterococcus faecalis and Enterococcus faecium --occasionally cause human disease, most commonly urinary tract infections and wound infections. Other infections, including those of the blood stream (bacteraemia), heart valves (endocarditis) and the brain (meningitis) can occur in severely ill patients in hospitals. Enterococci also often colonize open wounds and skin ulcers.

Enterococci are among the most common antibiotic-resistant bacteria. The first vancomycin-resistant enterococcus (VRE) was found in 1986. Since that time, VRE has become a growing problem. Bacteria resistant to vancomycin are commonly also resistant to a similar antibiotic called teicoplanin, and vice versa.How is VRE spread?

VRE is often passed from person to person by the hands of caregivers. VRE can get onto a caregiver's hands after they have contact with other people with VRE or after contact with contaminated surfaces. VRE can also be spread directly to people after they touch surfaces that are contaminated with VRE. VRE is not usually spread through the air by coughing or sneezing.

Ok so I rush to the hospital to get it then rush back to their office .. to get this shot.

The nurse comes in and tells me I'm not gonna like her that they have to give me sooo much that they have to break it into 2 shots! 12 ml... total. So 6 ml per shot... one shot in each buttocks.

So she starts the shot and I'm thinking this is gonna be quick like a flu shot. NOT! She sticks me but then it takes like 3 minutes to slowly put it all in because its burning and stinging!!! After one shot down roll over to the other side and do it again! ok PAINFUL! I got up and my BUTT HURT!!! I was having muscle contractions!!! OUCH!

So she then tells me that I have to have this done for 4 more days. That either Home health care will come if my insurance covers it or I have to come in to clinic tomorrow to have someone do it! That if home health care doesn't call me tomorrow to call the (HE Doc) again and they will figure something out! So I left in pain...

Oh yeah did I forget to tell you guys this cost me another 100.00!!!!

So I leave and drive to my parents house and by the time I get there.. my eyes are really itchy... strange... then all of a sudden my Teeth became really sensitive. (Like I had bleeched them for a week)...

So I leave and come on home and while feeding the puppies.. I get this strange feeling to come over me... I get kinda light headed.. dizzy.. and my head feels like its drawing up... tingling.... and started to itch!

So now I'm thinking great I'm having an allergic reaction! WHAT ELSE CAN GO WRONG!

This is what they gave me..
Gentamicin may cause damage to the kidneys and/or nerves. Kidney function and drug levels in the blood may be monitored with blood tests during treatment. Tell your doctor if you experience hearing loss, dizziness, numbness, skin tingling, muscle twitching, or seizures which may be signs of nerve damage.

What is gentamicin?
Gentamicin is an antibiotic. It fights bacteria in the body.

Gentamicin is used to treat severe or serious bacterial infections.

Gentamicin may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

Gentamicin may cause damage to the kidneys and/or nerves. Kidney function and drug levels in the blood may be monitored with blood tests during treatment. Tell your doctor if you experience hearing loss, dizziness, numbness, skin tingling, muscle twitching, or seizures which may be signs of nerve damage.

So... I call the Man Doc back and he's on call.. and he calls back and informs me he is at the MOVIES!!! I was like .. well I thought you should know what has happend since after I had the shot at your office! He was like ok Mild reaction take some Benadryl... I was like ok.. and I said is it going to be ok to continue with the shots tomorrow and the next 4 days. He said .. (Um I think so...)...
What the Heck you mean you think so I'm thinking!!

So as I sit her and type this to try and let everyone know what has happend to me...Hope to God no one else is having to go thru so much.
If anyone else has been told they have VRE .. or Enterococcus Faecalis... Please let me know. I feel like I'm on the same page as everyone else as far as the recovery progress... but I feel alone with all these complications and infections!!

Now just waiting and wondering what tomorrow is going to bring...
Will they come give me the SHOT'S or will I have to call HIM.. (Male Doc) back to see where he wants me to go or what to do...??
And will I have another reaction? Will it be the same or worse?

Can anyone make heads or tails of this? Please HelP!

Update ... I finished with the 10 shots last Tuesday but still have been running a temp of 96 - 100 over the weekend. And get that general feeling of the flu. Fever reducer medication has helped. I called my Doc and told them yesterday and they said as long as it didnt get over a 100.4 I could wait for my 6 weeks check up on Thursday. I am also now soooo tired! I have no energy! I just sit in my car all day. I don't have the want or the energy to get up and do anything really. That been an issue I'm getting concerened about. Also still bleeding from the anus when I have a bowel movement .. its been like that since 4 says after my surgery. Still have light vaginal bleeding to. So I am like you concerend about my infection and hematoma and wonder if its still in my body. Cause I don't feel feel yet and incision is still really sore also. I've been needing help with infor for the last 5 weeks. I Hope my story helps some!

Good Luck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars.
Unread 07-08-2008, 03:15 PM

Hey North Pole: Just came back from the doc and he seems to think that it is a spasming urethra in the bladder....He gave me some medication three times a day to take and hopefully that will do the trick....Maybe that is what you might have.....he had no explanation for that back pain..he said it maybe just everything is probably just settling in.....but told me to keep an eye on it....just thought I would let you know.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register