post op bleeding????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post op bleeding????? post op bleeding?????

Unread 09-17-2010, 11:19 AM
post op bleeding?????

i am only a week out of surgery and i am bleeding somewhat heavy(i think its heavyish) its not really soaking my pad but when i wipe theres alot of blood on the t.p its dark bright red. what is normal bleeding after a TAH and only a week out? i called dr office aand they said it normal as long as im not soaking a pad in an hour. should i worry about this and go to er or just let it go and see if it slows down over the weekend? but im aalso having a burning like pain on the left side when i move around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Re: post op bleeding?????

What you are experiencing can be a completely normal part of healing as your doctor's office stated. Bright red bleeding that fills a pad an hour would be a cause for concern and a reason to seek medical attention quickly.

Did you mention the pain you are experiencing to your doctor's office? Do you have pain medications to take? The pain could be related to the bleeding or could be an additional part of healing.

At one week out you shouldn't be too active and overdoing it can cause increased bleeding. When bleeding is occurring, often a woman will be told to take it easy, lay down, and put her feet up. Did your doctor's office suggest staying down a bit more over the next few days?

Don't hesitate to go to ER or make an appointment with your doctor if you are concerned. What you have shared sounds like normal healing but we are not medical professionals and we cannot give medical advice. It is always okay to call your doctor's office and tell them you are concerned and ask if you can be seen to ease your mind. It is always better to be safe, than sorry!

in there!
Unread 09-17-2010, 01:15 PM

I hope that you are able to rest and take it easy. Sometimes it is really easy to overdo it and have some bleeding. What did the doc say about the pain? If it starts to get worse or the bleeding isn't stopping I would call the doc or go to er to have them evaluate you. Usually it is nothing but over the phone they can't see you. My doc would always have me come in just to check on me because of my complicated history. I hope you feel better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2010, 01:26 PM

thank you for ur response, the dr office said it sounds like normal bleeding, i was just there yesterday to have my staples removed and told the dr about the pain he said is also normal and dont want to give me anymore pain meds the thing with the pain that worries me a lil is that the other night i tried to sleep on the couch instead of my recliner and when i woke up and tried to get up off the couch it was very painful like i pulled something the dr said its ok maybe pulled a muscle the pain is more in my belly above my incision. as for the bleeding i think im just being over cautious, im not bleeding thru the pad at all actually there not alot on my pad at all its all more when i wipe, they didnt say anything about laying down my dr actually acts like i shouldnt be taking it all that easy, he actually told me im ok to drive its ok to walk up my stairs (which is where my bathroom and bed room are, im sleeping in the living room on my recliner only becoz i dont have a tv in my bedroom so i make probably 10 or so trips up the steeps daily since i got home sunday afternoon. but thats pretty much to most i do, i plan everything for when i do have to get up to go, to go get me something to drink or eat or fill my ice bag, other then that my *** is planted on my chair. i have basicly been here myself since i got home my husband couldnt take any more time from work i have a neighbor that will stop in a few times a day just to check on me but im pretty much here alone all day. do u think im over doing things by going up the stairs? he wanted to g get me a potty chair but i told him i dont think i really need one tat i can make it up the steeps, slowly one step at a time.

i know ur not a dr and not really qualified to give med advice but who better to talk to then women that have gone thru it already or going thru now. so any PERSONAL advice would be great
Unread 09-17-2010, 01:38 PM

Sounds actually pretty Normal , I had the same 2 weeks post op and it eventually stopped , If you are worried at ALL call your doctor so he or she can put you at ease ..and DO go to the E.R if you feel you need to! My docs specific instructions was to SIT and put my feet up...So you do the same!!!! HUGS
Unread 09-17-2010, 01:50 PM

thank u all for the advice, i think the bleeding is normal just startled me a lil coz i wasnt bleeding at all when i was in hospital and the first couple day of being home then it just started a couple days ago. its just nice to know what others have experienced with theirs only a week out. my neighbor had her hysterectomy about a year ago she said she didnt bleed at all, now she had her done lapo way but everything inside was the same, removed the uterus and cervix and left both ovaries well they took only 1 of hers, but i know everyones different, but when she said she didnt bleed at all made me a lil worried.

thank you all, i dont know what i would do with out this website.
Unread 09-17-2010, 04:03 PM

It is very normal to worry about bleeding. I had somewhat the same thing happen with me about four days out where I suddenly had spotting that seemed to increase. "I was fine but my doc wanted me to rest more. Doing stairs can stress your muscles so do it very slowly. If you have a good side,then go up stairs using good leg to go to next step and then bring other leg to that step. That way you don't pull as much. When going down, do the opposite. Bad leg first, then good leg to that step and then repeat as you go down stairs. It will take longer but not as much stress on muscles. Hope you feel better
Unread 09-17-2010, 07:17 PM

ya thats pretty much how i do the steps just one at a time and very slow and make sure holding on to the railing. well good news is the bleeding has slowed up since this morn so i feel alot better about that. thnx all for the advice, its just nice to have a group of women that is going thru this or has already gone thru it. i know it diff for everyone but its nice to hear what everyone else has gone thru.
Unread 09-18-2010, 05:38 PM

So glad to hear you are feeling better. It can be somewhat of a rollercoaster ride as you recover. Any new thing and I was ready to panick. Now am a little more calm-not much but a little.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register