Breathing machine thing | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Breathing machine thing Breathing machine thing

Unread 08-16-2013, 11:07 PM
Breathing machine thing

I forgot to ask my doctor, and I can ask tomorrow, but I was wondering how long you ladies used yours? I was told to do it every hour, but nobody really said for how long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2013, 04:08 AM
Re: Breathing machine thing

I think i made it five days or until i could make the thingy go all the way up easily. I meant to ask the doc but forgot. And then i forgot to keep doing it. I am a bad person to ask i guess.
Unread 08-17-2013, 04:15 AM

I tried for the first day or so after surgery. Then I got tired of it, and no one (nurses, doc) really cared. Anyway I felt it was getting germy after a day, and didn't want to infect myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2013, 06:10 AM

i used it while i was in the hospital for the two days every hour and then when i got home when i could remember so maybe onece or twice and then i just put it away and left it
Unread 08-17-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niki_coe View Post
I forgot to ask my doctor, and I can ask tomorrow, but I was wondering how long you ladies used yours? I was told to do it every hour, but nobody really said for how long.
It's designed to prevent pneumonia in patients who are bed ridden, have very limited mobility, or who take only shallow breaths due to pain. Pneumonia and all the coughing that goes with it would be terrible for recovery!

My doc said to keep using it until I was off the Percocet and more active, like taking a couple of walks a day. I think breathing tends to be shallow when you take narcotic pain killers, like Percocet and morphine.

I was on oxygen my first post-op night because my breathing was so shallow while I was on morphine.
Unread 08-17-2013, 07:36 AM

Thanks ladies. I have been up walking pretty good, and have been using it when I remember. Just wanted to know about how long everyone used theirs.
Unread 08-17-2013, 07:42 AM

How about only once in front of the nurse and then never again! LOL
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:06 AM

I didn't even know such a thing existed I was just told to try and take deep breaths at the hospital.
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:31 AM

I was in the hospital for three days and used it while I was there, but then left it behind when I left. It wasn't something I wanted to bring home with me. I wanted to bring the auto-massager on my hospital bed home with me, but the nurse said no. They only let me bring the compression stockings.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register