2 days post hysterectomy bowel movements | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 days post hysterectomy bowel movements 2 days post hysterectomy bowel movements

Unread 10-13-2016, 09:44 AM
2 days post hysterectomy bowel movements

I just got back home last night from my surgery on Tuesday and it's not been easy. Sleeping on my zero gravity chair as can't make the stairs to the bedroom, and just generally uncomfortable throughout the night, but l am positive every day will get better....

Was wondering about others experiences with bowel movements? Not had one yet and am worried about constipation issues as l'm not exactly a regular girl at the best of times. I'm taking stool softness and miralax as per doctor but nothing yet. Anyone any advice or experiences they are willing to share?

Hopefully this isn't TMI - although after this surgery not sure much is TMI any more!!

It's only gonna get better each day....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2016, 09:52 AM
Re: Bowel movements after surgery

Hey you! Welcome to the other side!

You haven't eaten much for a few days, so it will take a while for your body to work it out. Give it time, it will happen. Keep taking the stool softeners so the first time will be smooth sailing.

Sorry to hear that you can't make the stairs yet. I was hoping you'd manage and be snuggled in bed. At least you have the chair, though. When I go downstairs it's a couch with a wooden bump in the middle (recliner couches aren't for laying across!)

I hope your home recovery stays on course with no big setbacks. Pamper yourself as much as possible!
Unread 10-13-2016, 10:35 AM

I agree with NimbleNymph....it WILL happen, just give it some time.
I'm not a real regular girl myself, so this was a big concern that I had. I just kept taking the stool softeners and by day two, I had my first BM. Then....4 days went by before another one!
Our bodies are all out of whack from this surgery and it's just going to take some time to get everything working again.

So....take a deep breath, stay on those stool softeners, and relax. It'll happen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2016, 01:10 PM

Same here, not a regular gal in the best of situations, am struggling with both constipation (painkillers) and diarrhea (iron IV, iron pills). I had surgery on a Thurs, didn't have a movement until Mon, continual Colace. Now still waiting for another one today (Thurs) and I can feel all of it inside, really painful feeling. I can pass a little gas. I discussed all this with Doc, and it's all normal. She has me down for milk of magnesia to force things if I don't have another movement by tomorrow (Fri). Upping my walking quotient too.

Like you, I hope every day will be better too. All of us, hang in there, we'll get through this!
Unread 10-13-2016, 07:56 PM
Re: Bowel movements after hysterectomy

Hi there! I was not regular and constipated before surgery because of those pesky fibroids. I became more regular after surgery. Did take a bit of work to figure out the right formula for me. Like others said, the first one takes a little longer as there is not much in our systems. The first one can take a while. Keep up with the stool softeners and walking as much as is comfortable. Make sure to have enough water/liquids along with the food with fiber (applesauce, oatmeal, bran cereal, whole grain toast, etc) and magnesium (nuts, leafy greens, dark chocolate). I also had yogurt in a smoothie and probiotic capsules to get that beneficial bacteria back into my digestive system. For me, prunes or warmed prune juice was good as well.

When you feel you are ready for a BM, sit on the loo with your feet up on a small stool or a couple of books, and lean forward towards your knees. This will help to straighten out your colon. I still use this squatty potty method today.

It takes a little time, but will happen. Hang in there!
Unread 10-13-2016, 11:50 PM

Post op constipation is common.. It may take 4, 5 days or so to go. Stool softeners & lots of water & walk frequently several X's a day is the best thing you can do. Eat fruit, apples are good, veggies, prunes, prune juice, juices, nuts, pumpkin seeds, magnesium..A salad w olive oil is good bc fats lubricate the GI track. Probiotics-supplement & or kefir, yogurt.. Peppermint tea for gas..Eat lite meals & snacks several times a day vs big meals. No processed or starchy carbs bc binding. I prepare a smoothie: 1 c frozen blueberries, 1 c spinach, 2 Tbls flax seeds, 1/2 banana, 1/2 c yogurt & or 1/2 any milk- I drink soy or almond milk, ice. You can alternate & use blackberries ir even cherries. (The tiny seeds in blueberries, rasberry, blackberries are a ++). Chia seeds, acai, oats, etc are good. Dragonfruit is great too. Use a step stool when have to go, lean towards knees or knees to chest. Heat pad for pain. When increasing fiber, increasing water is important or opposite occurs. Caffeine is dehydrating on the body so if you must, drink more water after. Pain meds contribute to constipation. The GI system may be different post op & you may need to include sone of these items daily..
Unread 10-14-2016, 09:06 AM

Hi. I had my op on Monday 10th and tried to avoid morphine and codeine in hospital as they bung you up. Unfortunately they seem to prescribe these as standard along with paracetamol so you end up taking a concoction of drugs which may help with pain but affect the bowels also. I've been drinking plenty, eating light meals like bran, salad and staying off bread. Taking satchet laxatives for the first 3 days and on Wednesday morning had a bowel movement. After tea and breakfast this morning another. My surgeon said that the surgery and drugs make the bowel sleepy. the gas starts to build up and if you can relieve this successfully then eventually you will get a result. Be patient and if you are eating carefully it will happen. Good luck as it's another thing to tick off the list when recovering. X
Unread 10-14-2016, 09:58 AM

Thank you to all for the suggestions and general encouragement that l am not alone in this! I'd forgotten l got prunes prior to surgery, taking a walk to the pantry now to retrieve them! All the other suggestions on foods and even ways to help the event itself are so helpful..... never thought l'd look forward to a bowel movement as a positive sign!!!

I have been on a stool softener twice a day and miralax once a day and (drum roll please) as if inspired by starting this post the much anticipated event occurred!! So to all my sister's out there, l agree with everything previously said by others, be patient, keep taking the softeners and it will happen. Oh and a couple of paperbacks under the feet (sorry Bernard Cornwell!) were a great aide and a great tip.

Yippee! One less thing to worry about!!

Here's to more milestones being reached - next l'm aiming for the stairs so l can actually sleep in my bed!
Unread 10-14-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritLassie View Post
Thank you to all for the suggestions and general encouragement that l am not alone in this! I'd forgotten l got prunes prior to surgery, taking a walk to the pantry now to retrieve them! All the other suggestions on foods and even ways to help the event itself are so helpful..... never thought l'd look forward to a bowel movement as a positive sign!!!

I have been on a stool softener twice a day and miralax once a day and (drum roll please) as if inspired by starting this post the much anticipated event occurred!! So to all my sister's out there, l agree with everything previously said by others, be patient, keep taking the softeners and it will happen. Oh and a couple of paperbacks under the feet (sorry Bernard Cornwell!) were a great aide and a great tip.

Yippee! One less thing to worry about!!

Here's to more milestones being reached - next l'm aiming for the stairs so l can actually sleep in my bed!
YAY! BM conquered! Good luck with the stairs and accessing your bed!
Unread 10-14-2016, 07:33 PM

Welcome to the other side!

This was an issue for me. I had to stay an extra day as I couldn't pass gas despite suppository, Milk of Magnesia, etc. I finally did the morning of day four--yippee! A bowel movement was another day and really not very rewarding. I also am not as regular as most, with perhaps ever other day being my norm. I would agree with another sister who said you are still really early on, and would give it some time before you worry. But my suggestions are to eat lots of whole grains, fruits, veggies, nuts, and drink lots of water. The other thing that makes a difference for me is moving. Walking is fantastic for many reasons as long as you don't overdo it. My one sure thing was prune juice mixed with diet 7 Up. I originally used little can (single serve) of prune juice mixed 50/50 with the diet 7 Up, but that was a little too aggressive, so I cut it down to about 60/40 soda to prune juice. Worked wonders, and I still go to it if I get a little off. You could also eat prunes if you like them. No worries about the sugars in the prunes or juice, it is a type of sugar that the body doesn't process like regular sugars. Google it if you don't believe me.

Good luck, and happy healing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register