Staples..can't believe ... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Staples..can't believe ... Staples..can't believe ...

Unread 08-25-2006, 07:44 AM
Staples..can't believe ...

I was reading my preop info and it says my staples won't be removed until Sept 8..my surgery is Aug 29! I am reading in the post op forums that most get them out in the first few days. Has anyone else been told that they'll have to keep their staples in this long?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2006, 07:52 AM

I had surgery on the 17th of August and am not having my staples removed until next Thursday, due to the healing process. You are not alone. I actually feel better that they did not take them out a week after surgery. In my mind, that is just too soon.
Unread 08-25-2006, 08:00 AM

Mine were taken out 4 day after surgery. My only concern for you would be if the skin starts to heal up and enbeds them. At four days they did not hurt to remove (like plucking my eyebrows). Ask for something to numb the area just in case.
Toni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2006, 08:13 AM

I had my TAH lon July 20th and staples removed on July 23rd before I was sent home. They put strips on me, they fell off in a week. I
Unread 08-25-2006, 08:45 AM

I've heard a week to 10 days is not uncommon for staples to be left in. Doctor's preference I guess.
Unread 08-25-2006, 10:49 AM

My surgery was July 25th and the staples were removed one week later on August 1st. I was already healing around one staple that resisted coming out. I went home after that with nothing covering my incision. I was only told not to expose it to direct sunlight... yeah right!! Ha!

By the way, I had a long vertical incision with more than 20 staples extending around and an inch above my belly button.
Unread 08-25-2006, 03:44 PM

I had staples for longer than normal because my skin is sensitive to steri-strips. There was no problem getting them out or anything. And my incision stayed nice and closed -- no problems.
Unread 08-25-2006, 04:02 PM

I had my surgery Aug 7th....and had half my staples removed Aug 14 and the other half were removed Aug 21st. I never felt a thing .....either time.
Unread 08-25-2006, 04:33 PM

My doc said mine would be in for 7 days. That is the same as he left them in for my c-section. That was 8 years ago and I still remember how much better I felt just getting them out. I think as I was healing they started pulling at me and just felt good to get them out. I also had the steri-strips after my staples were removed. I think they lasted about a week.
Unread 08-26-2006, 06:34 AM

I had a tah/bso with a bikini cut incision. Half of my staples were removed on the 4th day post op, the rest were removed on the 10th day. Each dr seemes to have his/ her own preferences. The timing on yours seems to be within the norm

S

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register