Looking at options for heavy bleeding. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Looking at options for heavy bleeding. Looking at options for heavy bleeding.

Unread 02-21-2011, 08:53 AM
Looking at options for heavy bleeding.

I'm 42 years old and have had heavy periods (causing severe anemia) for the past 3 years or so.

A few months ago I started Lysteda to help the heavy periods. The bleeding has lightened, but now my periods are only 25 days apart (instead of their usual 28) and the bleeding is lasting 9 days instead of 7. So instead of bleeding 1/4 of the time with two heavy days, I'm bleeding moderately 1/3 of the time.

I could try the mini-pill, but I DON'T want to gain weight. I've just worked really hard to lose 28 pounds over the last 8 months, and I have 12 more to lose.

So now I'm considering novasure or hysterectomy. I've read so much my head is spinning. I thought I'd made up my mind, but now I'm not sure.

It may sound odd, but one of my concerns is sex. My husband and I are finally well-matched sexually. His drive has lessened a bit and mine has increased, and I don't want to ruin it! I'm thinking it may be worth dealing with the heavy bleeding a couple days a month to avoid the possitility of sex becoming less enjoyable.

I'm calling the doctor today to make an appointment to discuss my options.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Re: Looking at options for heavy bleeding.

LDC17

I’m sorry you’re having problems that bring you here but am very glad you’ve joined and hope you’ll benefit from the wealth of information and support!

You're very wise to be cautious since a hysterectomy is a big decision, and major surgery, which should only be considered as a last resort after all other options have been exhausted. You may find second (or even third) medical opinions very useful, too.

You're already wondering whether you should deal with the heavy bleeding for a couple of days to avoid any possible post-surgery intimacy problems. It's also worth asking yourself if your symptoms are so unbearable as to make your life a misery or, for example, will there be any further unexpected consequences, such as an earlier menopause?

Please take your time researching and asking questions. Checking out our <links> Treatment Alternatives and Hysterectomy Options pages should help with this, too.

Sending all good wishes and we're here to support you ~ every step of the way!

Unread 02-21-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDC17 View Post
considering novasure or hysterectomy.
Hi Lisa:

Here is a link to a website with info and message boards about ablation: http://www.endometrialablationdiscussion.com/

Kudos to you for doing the research! I hope you are able to find the right answers soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2011, 09:19 PM

I had an ablation due to bleeding that would not stop. It worked for me and I was a little older than you. I was very happy with the results.

My reasons for having a hysterectomy were different than most because I have Lynch Syndrome which leads to increased risk of uterine cancer - sort of like the breast cancer gene - so had a prophylactic hysterectomy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register