Bowel function after vaginal hysterectomy | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel function after vaginal hysterectomy Bowel function after vaginal hysterectomy

Unread 09-21-2017, 04:41 PM
Bowel function after vaginal hysterectomy

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the site after a nurse told me about it in hospital.
I had a vaginal Hysterectomy following a prolapse of the uterus, bladder and bowel 8 days ago and struggled to have any bowel movement after the operation and was given help in hospital. Ever since then I've had bad Diarrhoea with pains in my tummy.
Every time I eat something within an hour or so I'm on the toilet again.
Has anyone else experienced the same thing?
I'm due to see my surgeon on Monday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2017, 06:41 AM
Bowel function after vaginal hysterectomy

Personally, I never had diarrhea after my surgery, but as I've heard from other sisters, it's quite common. It's commonly caused by antibiotics used during the surgery, which indiscriminately kill off the good bacteria inside your intestinal tract; a probiotic supplement, including the strain Lactobacillus acidophilus, can help to restore them. Also, if you're running to the toilet so much, you'll need to work to maintain your fluid and electrolyte levels; my top picks for this include plain coconut water, and a glass of clear fruit juice with 1 tsp of raw cane sugar and a pinch of salt. Foods high in soluble fiber can help to produce firmer bowel movements by absorbing excess water; that includes apples, blackberries, blueberries, bananas, oatmeal, and psyllium or chia seeds. Other good food choices for right now include scrambled or poached eggs, plain chicken breast, white fish, white noodles, plain toast, and steamed carrots. Foods to avoid right now include red meat, dairy products other than yogurt or kefir, legumes, onions and garlic, cruciferous vegetables, cucumbers, melons, pears, prunes, artificial sweeteners, tomatoes, peppers, coffee, carbonated or alcoholic drinks, citrus fruits, chocolate and vinegar. Also be sure to join your recovery thread, where you can connect and compare notes with your surgery week sisters. Here's hoping you'll be over this soon, and back on the road to recovery!
Unread 09-22-2017, 09:22 PM
Re: Bowel function after vaginal hysterectomy

I've had constant diarrhea for six days straight. Today is the first day I haven't had to run to the toilet. Mostly, my gyne said it was simply my bowels "waking up" from the surgery and being incredibly unhappy about all the trauma that happened inside. I had endometriosis removed from the colon, and I can definitely pinpoint that area as where the excruciating pain originates from.

Most women struggle with constipation. A few women struggle with diarrhea. And an unlucky bunch battle both. My gyne's advice was to avoid narcotics, take NSAIDs to reduce inflammation, and take something to try to sleep through most of it. She said it should all settle about the end of the first week (I'm on day 10). In the meantime, keep some stuff in the bathroom to occupy yourself with, and I personally found a heating pad to be helpful with the pain.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register