Scheduled LAVH Upcoming hysterectomy October 23 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy October 23 Upcoming hysterectomy October 23

Unread 10-13-2017, 10:23 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy October 23

I will start with my story quick...had atypical glandular cells found on PAP in August. Went through all these tests trying to figure out what caused them, no luck. They did find a 5cm simple cyst on my ovary though. I have other issues going on like heavy bleeding causing anemia and horrible painful cycles. She asked if I want more tests and to have my ovary removed, or should we just go for the hysterectomy. I am done with those painful tests!! They hurt and were traumatizing, I have a high pain tolerance too. Now I am scared I am going to die on the table during surgery, did I make the right choice? The doctor is doing davinci and has done 366 davinci hysterectomies in the last 3 years, is that an experienced surgeon with the robot? So much racing through my head, this is my first time going under general anesthesia and the breathing tube freaks me out!! I had 2 c-sections but was awake. How long does this surgery take?? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2017, 06:26 AM

This was also my first major surgery, and my first time under general anaesthesia, and thoughts of dying also crossed my mind. You can rest assured that your surgeon and his team are highly trained professionals, who will be fully dedicated to making sure you get through this okay. If you let your anesthesiologist know you're scared, he can give you something to calm you down. He won't insert the breathing tube until after you're asleep, and he'll remain by your side, constantly monitoring your vital signs to make sure everything's okay. The most significant aftereffect mentioned by other sisters is a sore throat, easily remedied with Ricola cough drops, and hot tea with honey. As for surgery length, I didn't have the Da Vinci, so I can't speak to that; hopefully our Da Vinci sisters will weigh in with their experiences. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 10-14-2017, 01:54 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy October 23

Hi Hnesper -

Your feelings, fears, emotions and anxieties are all very normal. It is also normal to have thoughts of dying on the table. Hopefully this article can help:Thoughts of Fear and Death before Hysterectomy

Having surgery is scary. The doctors and nurses will take very good care of you, they will watch over you and monitor you very closely. Probably at no other time are you the center of such attention. The doctors and nurses also take extra schooling and training to be in the OR. As Tiger_Eye said, the breathing tube goes in after you are asleep, so you will not remember it at all. And only some women have a sore throat after surgery - I did not with my surgery. Here is an article that may provide information to you:
If Your Hysterectomy is Your First Surgery | Parts 1, 2 and 3

I cannot answer whether 366 surgeries with a da Vinci equates to being very experienced with the equipment. Regarding length of surgery, I do not know. But my surgery was open abdominal with 6-inch vertical incision. They removed everything plus a very large complex ovarian cyst (12x9x11 cm). My surgery took 90 minutes.

Just know that you are not alone in any of this. We are here for you, and will be by your side throughout this process.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnesper View Post
I will start with my story quick...had atypical glandular cells found on PAP in August. Went through all these tests trying to figure out what caused them, no luck. They did find a 5cm simple cyst on my ovary though. I have other issues going on like heavy bleeding causing anemia and horrible painful cycles. She asked if I want more tests and to have my ovary removed, or should we just go for the hysterectomy. I am done with those painful tests!! They hurt and were traumatizing, I have a high pain tolerance too. Now I am scared I am going to die on the table during surgery, did I make the right choice? The doctor is doing davinci and has done 366 davinci hysterectomies in the last 3 years, is that an experienced surgeon with the robot? So much racing through my head, this is my first time going under general anesthesia and the breathing tube freaks me out!! I had 2 c-sections but was awake. How long does this surgery take?? Thanks
Hello,
Although My surgery isn’t until November my Dr is doing my surgery via the DaVinci robotic method. My Dr said the surgery will be approximately 2- 2 1/2 hours. I have had surgery that’s required general anesthesia and I never knew the breathing tube was inserted nor did I have a sore throat afterward. I too am feeling anxious about my surgery and believe that your feelings are normal. I hope I was able to help you a little. Best wishes
hyshugs3
Unread 10-18-2017, 01:39 AM

I had robotic surgery. Hysterectomy, cystocele and rectocele repair, and urethral sling. It all took about 4 hours. Yes, it was very scary beforehand! It's just such a big deal! It is so normal to be scared.

You can ask for anti anxiety meds beforehand. That really helped me. It kicked in about 2 minutes after administered. By the time I was wheeled up to the operating table I just slid on over and laid myself down. If all the big machines and equipment look intimidating, just know that all of that scary looking stuff is used to save lives.

If you have specific fears make sure to relay concerns to the anesthesiologist and doctor.
Unread 10-18-2017, 02:45 PM

You are not alone! I'm feeling pretty anxious too. Hugs!
Unread 10-18-2017, 10:19 PM

Funny story, I already take anxiety meds and am still a hot mess!!! Logically I think everything will be just fine, but that anxiety has me picturing all the worse case scenarios. Right now blood clots is my greatest concern, well besides not waking up. Can’t wait to just be done with this. Thanks everyone!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register