how was your pain at one week post-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how was your pain at one week post-op? how was your pain at one week post-op?

Unread 01-21-2009, 01:07 PM
how was your pain at one week post-op?

Just wondering about everyone's experiences. . .

I was expecting to be feeling a little better than I am. I am completely exhausted all the time. I was hoping to be off narcotics but I still take half a percocet 3 times a day.

My uterus was adhered to my bladder; my bladder was all scrunched up and inside she saw divets & two holes even though the cystoscopy I had a few weeks ago was NORMAL. The adhesions on the outside of my bladder were so bad and hard she described them as "sawing through a log". I also had a lesion on the inside of my belly button that she removed.

The actual hysterectomy pain doesn't seem so bad but my bladder is just killing me and I can't make it without the percocet. Also just worried about this being tired all the time; I am the kind that NEVER could take a nap during the day and now I find myself dozing all the time.

Michele
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2009, 01:19 PM

At one week I still had pain. Mostly it was, and still is on the lower left side, where the ovary with the cyst was removed.

I had pulling, tightening burning pain in the front; and I had a soreness/pressure in the vag/rectal area. I still, at one week, felt like my abs would tighten up into a contraction when I would go for my walks. I am 2 wks and 2 days post op (in my 3rd week), and all the above pains have gotten better except the left lower ab pain where my ovary was. It also tends to radiate into my left hip after walking a lot. I am up to 12mins of medium pace walking outside. I am sore when I get back.

Forgot to add... I dd have to take my pain meds the first week, and sometimes during the second week. Now, I think I overdid it yesterday, and I have had to take a vicodin in the late afternoon and lie in bed resting/reading.

CC
Unread 01-21-2009, 01:59 PM

I took pain meds all through the 1st week and at least half-way through the 2nd. You had some complications with your bladder, so give yourself a break for still needing some pain relief. Just chalk this up to having made plans and your bladder laughing at them. Besides, if you don't take pain meds when you're in pain, you won't heal as fast.

I had terrible pain where my Rt ovary/cyst was. It was apparently stuck to my pelvic wall and most of my pain was there after the 1st week. I couldn't lie down on back or either side w/out it pinching and pulling and stabbing me.

Doze away and maybe you'll be surprised how much better you feel in a few days. (although, I did have pinching pain again yest despite feeling better for days before)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2009, 03:28 PM

Well, ouch! I cringed reading your dr.'s description of your procedure!

I had to take percoset for a little over 1 1/2 weeks post op. When I called the dr. for a refill, and said how disappointed I was that I was still hurting so much, they (nicely) laughed at me and reminded me that I had had major surgery and of course I was going to hurt!
I took motrin several times a day for awhile after I stopped the percoset--I figured I was all inflamed in there, and it really helped.

I noticed a big difference in my pain/discomfort level in the third week, and by the 5th week I was actually having times that I forgot I had had the surgery.

My bladder was not happy at all about being mauled about and lifted up, and I am still have bladder spasms, but they are not usually bad enough to medicate.

You might want to ask your dr. about medications that will help with the bladder spams if they continue to be so bad.

oh--and that being tired thing lasts for quite a while! I have stopped napping now, but I go back to work next week, and I fully expect to be exhausted and in pain all over again until I get used to the increased activity! I'm already planning to take prophylactic motrin!
Unread 01-21-2009, 04:20 PM

You guys have put my mind at ease so much! BIG sigh of relief; thank you! I'm not glad you're having pain too but glad someone can relate. Sharon, I am glad things are much better for you now!

Michele

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register