Back pain, kidney/bladder ultrasound, kidney function blood test... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back pain, kidney/bladder ultrasound, kidney function blood test... Back pain, kidney/bladder ultrasound, kidney function blood test...

Unread 07-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Back pain, kidney/bladder ultrasound, kidney function blood test...

Anyone else having back pain at 3+ weeks out? The doc kept me in the hospital for a couple extra nights b/c my potassium was really low after surgery. It came up and had it tested week 2 PO and week 3 PO and it got better. The doc called me late this afternoon b/c I told the nurse I was having back pain. Apparently my kidney function on my blood test was really low, so he had me go up to the hospital this evening and get a kidney/bladder u/s which came back normal. Doc said I should be feeling much better but at this point I'm still tired, back hurts, and not feeling very wonderful (had my ovaries out but started hrt in the hospital). He told me to call him Monday if I was still feeling "punky" which I will probably do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2010, 09:01 AM
Re: Back pain, kidney/bladder ultrasound, kidney function blood test...

I am 6 weeks postop from having a Lap assisted vaginal hyst. with ovaries,uterus ,cervix out. My back has hurt me since week one and still hurts alot. Along with that I have extreme pelvic pain everytime I walk for more than 10 minutes. I have some bladder issues right now(not completely empting bladder and going every hour on the hour). I thought I would be up an going and doing my regular routine by this time but not so. I did have a difficult surgery and my blood count was pretty low(but refused blood transfusion), so that may be why I am healing slowly.
I also cannot sleep more than 2-3 hours a night. So what I am doing is just showering and walking from my recliner to and from the bathroom and walking around the house a little. I have an appointment to see my Dr. on Monday morning to determine my bladder issues.
I hope you feel better soon. Be sure and take it easy as it does take time to heal.
Unread 07-31-2010, 12:27 PM

Hi JillyMac,

I had bad lower back pain for a 3-4 weeks after my TAH. I decided in the end that it was probably down to how I was walking and sitting - all hunched up to try and protect my incision site and muscles. I was scared to stand too upright in case it hurt or pulled the incision! Once I started to feel a bit better and manged to move around more freely it went away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2010, 03:16 PM

Hi & thanks for the info! I also wondered if my back was really a result of sitting/reclining most of the time and not getting back to my "regular" routine like I maybe should be working towards? Luckily and sleeping pretty good but still take a perc at night. I'm going in to talk to the doc on Monday too. Peeing hasn't been too much of an issue but when I'm done emptying my bladder it seems like pee just trickles out - it's a weird feeling. I have been doing my kegle exercises to build up the pelvic floor. Was just glad that the ultrasounds of my kidneys/bladder came back okay...now to redo the blood tests and find out what is up with that. Thanks again!
Unread 08-01-2010, 03:50 AM

It's best to get back to your regular routine as soon you can, as long as you don't push yourself too much. I was told to start with short walks a couple of times a day, remembering that however far I walked from the house I would also have to walk back! My doctor said to build it up gradually so that I could manage 30 minute walks by the time I went back for my 6 week check up. Don't overdo it though, I was told I could walk my dog again after my 6 week check up. I tried it and hurt myself (strained some of the muscles in the lower abdomen/pelvic area) and then took a few more weeks to recover from that.

I had some bladder issues after the op when I seemed to be peeing a lot more than normal, particularly in the night, and also had the feeling of having not quite finished! I think a lot of that was because the bladder is bruised after the op and takes a while to settle down again. I was just told not to strain and see if everything sorted itself out - which it did.

Good luck both of you at your doctors appointments tomorrow.
Unread 08-01-2010, 01:26 PM

i also had back pain, but decided it was from the way i was positioned during my hyst that had caused it... its gone now, but i still have issues with my tailbone area that is painful...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register