Bladder sling info needed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder sling info needed Bladder sling info needed

Unread 07-08-2002, 01:11 PM
Bladder sling info needed

I just learned recently that I will also be having a bladder sling done with my hyst 7/19. I have done a search of previous threads as well as net searches to uro-gyn sites, etc. I am because nothing I am finding sounds like the procedure the urologist described to me. Since I don't know the exact medical term for what he is doing, please help me out if this sounds familiar. He says he makes a sling for the bladder to support it out of cadaver tissue (YUCK!), tacks it up and may also stitch it to the side of my vagina for additional support. It is done with a lap incision at the belly button and a 1 1/2 to 2 inch incision just over the pubic bone. He has told me to expect to self cath for about a week after (but I still am only in the hospital overnight )

I would be interested in finding out what the technical term is so I can research it and also hearing from any punctured princesses who have had this procedure. I read that some bladder surgery is best done with local anesthesia as opposed to general, so they can "custom fit" the sling by having you cough. Are there more than one type of sling? Should I bring this up to my gyn doc who planned to have a general for my TVH? (I was hoping for an epi to speed recovery)

Some of the other bladder surgeries sound less invasive, and since mine will be fairly preventative ( no stress leaking problems,etc, but some minor cystocele protrusions that could worsen post hyst without uterine and cervical support) is there another procedure that might be as effective? I am concerned we are using a sledge hammer to kill a mosquito! Thanks in advance for whatever you know about this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2002, 01:24 PM
bladder sling on 6-17-02

Lil,
I had a hysterecomy, anterior and posterior repairs and a bladder sling done. Sling was done due to stress incontentence. I had a LAVH (laproscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy), only three small holes, one in naval and one on each side.

I had minor problem with bladder sling, came home without the catheter but three days later went to the hospital for my bladder to be drained, mucho pain. I am now doing alot better, I am three weeks post op. I had to go to the pottie constantly for the first couple of weeks, but now things seem to be settling down.

The bladder surgery is called: Pubovaginal sling procedure. The cadaver skin is called: Reliform. My uroligist used a bone anchor to attach the sling to my pelvic bone. I can't wait to find out if it works as great as its suppose too. I used to have a problem playing golf, sneezing or coughing hard or even just slight running. I so hope it at least stops the leakage.

Any questions you can email me at: doviesgirl@yahoo.com

good luck, shirley g.
Unread 07-08-2002, 01:59 PM
Burch sling

Hi there, I had burch sling bladder repair, done by urologist during my hyste. surgery. The burch uses a tape and tacks the bladder neck up to the pubic bone and they also stitch the bladder to the tailbone, i gather. Mine was called laproscopic colosuspension. I also had LAVH, and cystocele, retrocele and enterocele repairs done under a general not spinal. I had my 4 wk check with urologist last Monday, he made me cough with full bladder doing internal and no problems at all, he said nothing moved at all.

There are quite of few princesses who have had bladder slings, most of them get a good result, some take longer than others.

I'm guessing this thread will soon be pages long with replies, so hope you will find out all you need to know.Good luck, Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2002, 02:06 PM

a good friend of mine had a bladder sling 3 yrs ago simular to what you are having. She has had no problems with this prochure. She had her bladder repaired 2 other times with problems. another dr. did the last surgery.

and to you
Unread 07-08-2002, 02:26 PM
bladder sling

Hi Lil,

I am scheduled for a TVH/BSO +A/P repair and bladder sling for 8/5. I guess my question to your doc would be why is s/he planning to do the sling procedure using a lap, rather than doing it vaginally, since the doctor is down there anyway. I'm sure there is a reason and I realize we are two entirely different people with different bodies and medical histories; my procedures will all be done vaginally. I wish I could offer you more information instead of another question. My understanding is that the success rate for the urological procedure (the TVT sling) is between 85%-93%. I guess that is one factoid I can deliver. If you do ask your doc, I would be very interested in the rationale. thanks and good luck. New Yorker
Unread 07-08-2002, 06:13 PM
bladder sling

Hi!
I had the bladder sling procedure done w/ my TVH and A&P repair. Unfortunately I was not a success storey for the sling procedure but I'm sure yours will go fine. I do have some insight, however on the anesthesia decision. I had a very long talk with the A guy (my DH was also there with his personal training using different forms of anesthesia). We were told that the procedures I faced would take approximatelay 3 to 4 hours and the general was the one that would keep me pain free for the length of the surgery (the other forms could not be certain) and that I would really get bored just lying there. My DH agreed with the A guy and I was knocked out for the duration (glad to because my DR took his time (4 1/2 hours). Everything went fine just took a while to wake up in recovery (3 1/2 hours).

My sling had a very rare complication ( so rare that none of the DRs at the castle had ever heard of it happening so I won't go into in this post. And I had heard the same success rates posted earlier.

Good luck and it sounds like you understand what your DR told you which is what I found most comforting with my DR is that he made me understand everything.
Unread 07-09-2002, 12:03 PM
Bladder sling

Thanks for the leads, ladies! I am still a bit concerned about having this done. I have now read up on several of the procedures (still not completely sure which one is the one I am getting by name) and they ALL seem to be for STRESS incontinence, which I do not have. All I have is very occassional post void dribbles and urgency. The gyn thought it might correct itself once the fibroids, etc are removed and not pressing on everything, but the uro says I have mild prolapse and it will probably just get worse once the uterus is not there to "prop things up". I am scared because some of the stats I have seen show only 87% success in curing incontinence, and some of the failures are worse off than pre-surgery, like those who then CAN"T go at all with out catheters and have more surgery to undo it later.

I try to trust my doctors but am wondering if getting a preventative surgery as a two for the price of one deal is worth the risk of complications such as overcorrecting what is currently just a minor problem. I would not even consider the surgery (and I doubt he would be suggesting it) if I were not having the hyst anyway.

I am scheduled this weekend with a friend who is a holistic counselor to do some positive imagining and relaxation exercises. She thinks I am spending too much energy on negative images and I need to re-direct this toward self healing images. Not sure if I buy it completely (ooo that is negative! ) but I am giving it a shot.
Unread 07-09-2002, 12:54 PM
I had no leaking either

I forgot to mention, I didn't have any stress incontinence either. I was gob-smacked when I was told my bladder was prolapsed and twisted and needed repair. My gyn explained that my bowel prolapses (retro and entero) were "balancing" things, but as soon as the back was fixed, I would get trouble from the front with no uterus in the middle.

I was done under general too as with the other repairs the surgery took over 3 hours, and no, I wouldn't have liked to be awake through that, plus I had previous spinals that have left me rather nervous about needles in spines ( meningitis years ago, I know there has been progress but my memory is clear!)

If you are a staunch minded person, you can go to the pelvic floor website and see in full colour detail what is done, but as I did it after surgery and got imaginary aches and pains just looking, I would advise to think carefully and make sure you know how you cope with some information, - me, I should have stuck to little diagrams in unrealistic colours - what a nelly.
Unread 07-09-2002, 02:25 PM

Lindy-lou, I know just what you mean! I checked out the pelvic floor website. I am normally not easily grossed out. I made the mistake of looking while on break at work had put my head between my knees so I wouldn't LOL!!! After that experience, I didn't even bother to click on the video clips of procedures actually being perfomed on another website. I'd list it but I can't remember what it was and is was so VERY medical in terminology I didn't even know what the text was saying. I am with you! Diagrams are plenty graphic enough for me!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register