Scheduled TAH Am I going to lose my hair? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I going to lose my hair? Am I going to lose my hair?

Unread 06-22-2012, 05:43 PM
Am I going to lose my hair?

Dear ladies,

My surgery is scheduled on 6/28 (TAH), and I have many concerns, but one of them is losing hair. I didn't have a lot of hair anyway (genetics, my mom was like that) but after 40 (now I am 43), my hair was considerably thinning. I heard that you can lose a quite a lot of hair with this surgery, especially after removing ovaries (I told my doc to save my ovaries as much as he can, but he is not sure). I don't want to be almost bald with no uterus… I am so depressed and nervous...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Re: Am I going to lose my hair?

iloveksy,
It's normal to be nervous before surgery. Waiting was the hardest part for me. I haven't heard of anyone losing their hair from a hysterectomy. Take a deep breath and concentrate on preparing for your recovery. You're almost there. When you go for your pre-op appointment, take a list of questions for your doctor and make sure you get some answers. I did and came away feeling much better.

Take care and keep coming here for support. You are not alone.

Unread 06-22-2012, 06:05 PM

I have discovered that i am malting a touch, but honestly it's no more than i did via pregnancy, just a disruption of hormones I have yet to hear of anyone i know personally who has lost their hair or even a significant amount of hair However id id keep my ovaries.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2012, 06:27 PM

I had both my ovaries removed last year and I have fine/thin hair. I dont see much of a difference. I did start hrt shortly after my surgery however.
Unread 06-22-2012, 07:55 PM

Some people might temporarily lose some hair after surgery due to the stress & trauma of the operation and the anesthesia. Anesthesia can even straighten or loosen the curls in the hair of someone who had a perm. It can also affect how a perm or other chemical service takes in the hair (I'm a hairstylist).

Hormone issues can cause some losses or thinning. I'm personally not familiar with HRT and how it affects or helps with hair loss.

I was kind of concerned about that too. I kept one ovary and so far so good. I also have thyroid disease which also causes some hair shedding. Some days the bathroom floor looks like I shaved a Yeti. So , I was kind of worried about having 2 things that could cause hair loss.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register