Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today May 08, 2016 - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today May 08, 2016 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today May 08, 2016

Unread 05-08-2016, 09:07 AM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today May 08, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by keethafell View Post
Thanks for your response - I am perhaps more open-minded than I sounded, and will obviously look to HRT help if it's all rather terrible!
My dr. Told me he doesn't want me to have Hrt. He told me there are other options. I've read that gabapentin helps with hot flashes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustducke View Post
Hi! I'm Lisa, 44. I'm having a TVH tomorrow for prolapse & fibroids. I haven't been very nervous except for a few moments of panic where I wonder if I'm doing the right thing. My husband got very sick on Wednesday so I've been nervous the past few days about getting sick & having to postpone. It took many years to psych myself up for this! Since there is a possibility of cystocele & rectocele repairs my biggest concern is having to go home with a catheter. God bless all of you this week!
Best of luck for tomorrow, I will be watching to hear how you got on. I had a cystoce and rectoce le repair with mesh a few years ago, and hope it stays put after the op.
Be good to yourself, hopefully we will wonder what all the fuss was about!! Xxx
Unread 05-08-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adcampo View Post
Hi! I'm scheduled for this Wed. for a LAVH with 2 incisions. My surgeon's methods are pretty groundbreaking and people travel from all over the country to see him. I've suffered for years with heavy periods and cramping, painful ovulation (PCOS), backache, and menstrual migraines. I have a complex cyst on my right ovary and suspected endo and adeno. My regular gyno attempted an ablation a couple of months ago, but couldn't complete the procedure because I have a tipped uterus and lots of scar tissue from my 3 c-sections. I switched doctors to a gyn-onc minimally-invasive surgeon. He promises a quick recovery since I'll only have 2 incisions. I'm hoping to keep my ovaries, but we'll see. Everything else will go.

My concerns include...
* My surgery is outpatient...yikes.
* Keeping my ovaries - would like to avoid surgical menopause since I'm 45.
* What if my migraines get worse after surgery with hormone issues
* The vaginal cuff - my Dr. doesn't use dissolvable stitches and I will need to go back to have those removed 3-4 mos. after the surgery! I have a lot of anxiety over this one!
* Worries of intimacy issues with my husband post-surgery
* Hoping my surgeon's 1-week recovery estimate is accurate
* Gaining weight - both from reduced activity and hormonal changes
* I have a Europe trip planned for 6 weeks post-surgery - hoping my energy is back
I could go on and on...

Thankfully, I have a wonderful husband who I know will be very supportive and helpful.

One tip: DO NOT find yourself watching a YouTube video of your procedure! I am not squeamish, but 10 minutes in, nearly passed out and had to lay down on my kitchen floor for 10 mins. That was a dumb move on my part. I have no idea what I was thinking.
absolutely made the decision not to watch the video before surgery.. I might not get it done if I did.
Pleaselet us know how everything goes for you.
Lots of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2016, 10:03 AM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today May 08, 2016

Hi all! It's good to see that I have company. It's odd what a difference that makes.

I'm 44. LAVH on May 13th. Recent biopsy showed complex hyperplasia with atypia (a high degree, suggestive of cancer).

At this point, I'm actually looking forward to the surgery just to get it done and to be done forever with the monthly hemorrhaging, wihich has been brutal.

My concerns are mostly around prepping for recovery. I've got long lists of things to do at home and at work before I can't do anything for myself for a while. I've finally decided to drop a couple of things from the list. (do I really need to clean out the hall closet? no).

Good luck everyone!!
Unread 05-08-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adcampo View Post
Hi! I'm scheduled for this Wed. for a LAVH with 2 incisions. My surgeon's methods are pretty groundbreaking and people travel from all over the country to see him. I've suffered for years with heavy periods and cramping, painful ovulation (PCOS), backache, and menstrual migraines. I have a complex cyst on my right ovary and suspected endo and adeno. My regular gyno attempted an ablation a couple of months ago, but couldn't complete the procedure because I have a tipped uterus and lots of scar tissue from my 3 c-sections. I switched doctors to a gyn-onc minimally-invasive surgeon. He promises a quick recovery since I'll only have 2 incisions. I'm hoping to keep my ovaries, but we'll see. Everything else will go.

My concerns include...
* My surgery is outpatient...yikes.
* Keeping my ovaries - would like to avoid surgical menopause since I'm 45.
* What if my migraines get worse after surgery with hormone issues
* The vaginal cuff - my Dr. doesn't use dissolvable stitches and I will need to go back to have those removed 3-4 mos. after the surgery! I have a lot of anxiety over this one!
* Worries of intimacy issues with my husband post-surgery
* Hoping my surgeon's 1-week recovery estimate is accurate
* Gaining weight - both from reduced activity and hormonal changes
* I have a Europe trip planned for 6 weeks post-surgery - hoping my energy is back
I could go on and on...

Thankfully, I have a wonderful husband who I know will be very supportive and helpful.

One tip: DO NOT find yourself watching a YouTube video of your procedure! I am not squeamish, but 10 minutes in, nearly passed out and had to lay down on my kitchen floor for 10 mins. That was a dumb move on my part. I have no idea what I was thinking.

LOL! I did the same thing! I kept telling myself "I'm not going to click play, I'm not going to click play, I'm ........" Clicked play. Horrible idea.
Unread 05-08-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillo View Post
My dr. Told me he doesn't want me to have Hrt. He told me there are other options. I've read that gabapentin helps with hot flashes.
Hi Jillo,

Hmm, I'm on gabapentin and I'm having crazy hot flashes! Sometimes one on top of another. Just to give you the heads up that it doesn't work for everyone.

Unread 05-08-2016, 10:49 AM

Hi I'm amanda. I'm having the DaVinci robotic done on Wednesday. My mom is flying into georgia in a few hours to help. Significant other is military and can only take leave for a couple of days for the actual surgery. I'm excited to get it done but very nervous. I'm questioning getting my ovaries taken out. I guess the doc and I will discuss this on tuesday during preop. I wish all ladies going under this week lots of luck and a speedy recovery
Unread 05-08-2016, 10:50 AM

Welcome Ladies to your Pre Op Open House! We are so glad you’ve joined us. This is your place to introduce yourself, ask your questions, and just speak about whatever is on your mind as you approach your surgery date.

As our surgery approaches, the nerves can get out of hand! This is completely normal, but knowing that doesn't make it any easier. The waiting truly is the hardest part, so your best course of action is to keep busy. Scrub your house, cook & freeze meals, and prepare your recovery area. Stock up on books, magazines, puzzles, movies and hobbies to keep you quietly busy while you recover. Get out of the house and have fun with family and friends... go for a hike, to the movies, or perhaps have a spa day. Finally it's important to take quiet time just for you as well. Meditate, yoga, quiet walks or a long bubble bath will soothe your nerves and help give you peace.

Here are some articles to help you prepare:

10 Essentials to Pack for Hospital

5 Ways to Prepare & First Surgery

Prepare for Hysterectomy: Tips

Coping with Anxiety & Fear
Relaxation Suggestions
Expectations vs. Reality

Deep breaths, Ladies, you can do this! And we are here for you every step of the way.

Unread 05-08-2016, 10:50 AM

I am due for a partial hysterectomy in just 2 days to get rid of fibroids. I have no idea how long I'll be in hospital recovering. I do know the doctor is taking my tubes as well. At 47, there's no worry about any further kids, so I'm fine with that. Just hoping for a successful, non-complicated surgery and easy recovery.
Unread 05-08-2016, 10:58 AM

Thursday May 12th is the day taking it all out plus cystoscopy perineorrhaphy ;enterocoele repair ;anterior and posterior repair with a-cell and a suprapubic catheter arghhhh any pointers on what to expect would be ever so helpful!!
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register