Ovary vs. HRT? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovary vs. HRT? Ovary vs. HRT?

Unread 01-21-2003, 10:43 PM
Ovary vs. HRT?

I'm new here and this is my first post. I have adeno and pelvic congestion syndrome. My doc showed me the endoscopic pics he took and they were very interesting. The uterus is mottled and lumpy and one side between the uterus and ovary is filled with a mass of dark purple snakelike vessels. He says these are the cause of my 3 days of labor an delivery every month, or 3 wks, or 2 wks or whatever it happens to be! It was a relief to see the pics and finally realize I wasn't just being overly wimpy about PMS etc., there really is a cause for the pain and bloating I have.... also explains why there's no blood in my brain. knocks me flat sometimes. The only option is TAH (too well suspended to do TVH) and I may be able to keep one ovary. I prefer not to take HRT and would like to produce my own hormones for awhile longer, 41yr. old. I'm wondering, If I keep only one ovary, will I produce only half the hormones? Is it possible I would have to take hormones anyway? Or does one ovary figure out the other is gone and make up for it? Looking to head for the castle late march. Any input would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2003, 12:42 AM
Ovary vs. HRT?

Hi,
My gyn told me that there would be no difference with just 1 ovary, it copes with the extra work just fine. I've seen threads on here which confirm that, you could try using the search to bring them up. There is always a very slight chance that ovaries don' t wake up after surgery due to damage to the blood supply, but otherwise you should do fine with one.

Vicky
Unread 01-22-2003, 02:36 AM
Ovary vs. HRT?

Vicky - or anyone - are there any figures around to suggest how common ovaries going into shock is? I only have one anyway, and am keeping it - I'm just wondering how likely it is that it will give up on me !

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2003, 02:48 AM
Ovary vs. HRT?

Chris,
yes, but I can't remember where, maybe someone else has that info, or if you feel like fishing around you might come up with it.
Sorry can't be of more help,
Vicky
Just a thought, is there anything on drop down menus or try a search to see if anyones put links in their posts on this.
X
Unread 01-22-2003, 06:58 AM
Ovary vs. HRT?

Ovarian "shock" is not common. You can go to www.obgyn.net and search the archives.

I've read that one ovary works fine. I kept both, but my mother was only able to keep one. She did fine.

There is some research that suggests that an earlier than normal menopause is more likely to occur when there's only one ovary. It doesn't mean it will happen- just a higher probability. If it were me, I would keep the remaining ovary at age 41 and go into menopause naturally rather than a sudden surgical menopause. My doc told me that women who go through a natural menopause seem to need less ERT to ease their symptoms. And we now know that less is better with estrogen.

Good luck!
Unread 01-22-2003, 09:46 AM
Ovary vs. HRT?

Dear Pame,

My doc told me that 50% of ovaries will shut down within 5 years of hysterectomy. I am nearing 4 years post-op, and so far my ovaries seem to be puttering along ok.

It's my understanding that one ovary will be able to do the job for your body, just as one kidney can do the job of two. The human body is amazing

I'm sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 01-22-2003, 10:26 AM
Ovary vs. HRT?

HI PAME:
I AM 19 DAYS POST-OP TAH-RSO. I LIKE YOU WAS VERY CONCERNED ABOUT LOSING OVARIES AND THE POSSIBILITY OF HAVING HRT LONG TERM. AT MY CONSULTATION WITH MY GYN I VOICED MY CONCERNS AND HE INFORMED ME THAT YOU CAN ACTUALLY GET BY WITH A QUARTER OF A FUNCTIONING OVARY AND NOT REQUIRE HRT. WHICH MADE ME FEEL LOTS BETTER BUT I STILL AT PRE-OP AND ON SURGERY DAY MADE HIM PROMISE TO LEAVE THE OVARIES UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. WELL HE DID END UP TAKING THE RIGHT ONE BECAUSE OF ANATOMICAL COMPLICATIONS(SOMETHING ABOUT OVARY BEING TOO CLOSE TO UTERUS) BUT I CAN TELL YOU SO FAR I AM NOT FEELING ANY ILL EFFECTS AT ALL. HAD ONE BOUT OF THE EMOTIONALS LAST WEEK BUT THINK THIS WAS MORE IN TUNE TO TIME PMS WOULD HAVE REARED ITS UGLY HEAD ANYHOW. HOPE THIS HELPS TO ALLEVIATE SOME OF YOUR FEARS. I AM BY NO MEANS A HEALTH PROFESSIONAL BUT I TRUST MY DOC EXPLICITLY SO YOUR BEST BEST WOULD BE TO TALK TO YOURS AS WELL. GOOD LUCK. IN MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS AS THE BIG DAY GETS CLOSER. CILLA
Unread 01-22-2003, 11:17 AM
Ovary vs. HRT?

Hi there

I kept both my ovaries. I don't know if they went into shock because of the surgery or because of the lingering effects of being on Lupron for 2 months, but they finally kicked back in about 10 weeks after surgery.

I too have read that one ovary will work just fine.

I hope this helps!

z
Unread 01-22-2003, 08:59 PM
Ovary vs. HRT?

I appreciate all the responses about how the ovaries will function if only one is left. Thank you to all you experienced hystersisters (I love that word, hystersister!!) This leads me to another question. I have had severe PMS, mental confusion, memory, dizziness, fog, etc.etc.etc. It would be such a blessing if this would all go away with the hysterectomy. Do these symptoms continue with ovaries left in place and do they go away if the ovaries are removed and one uses HRT? What would I use for "search" to find out more?
Unread 01-22-2003, 09:14 PM
Ovary vs. HRT?

Hi Pame

If you have ovaries you will still ovulate, so you may have PMS --- I still have occasional twinges, but nothing like I used to have.

You might try searching PMS AND HRT or PMS AND OVAR*

I hope this helps!

z

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register