Weight loss or weight gain after LSH? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Weight loss or weight gain after LSH? Weight loss or weight gain after LSH?

Unread 01-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Weight loss or weight gain after LSH?

Hello my sisters! I'm planning to have a LSH later this month or early Feb. I'm only having my uterus removed and I'm keeping everything else. I'm relatively healthy, but I experience a lot of bloating, pelvic pressure and sometimes water retention due to my fibroids. This should go away after surgery, right? I'm not overweight, but just curious if anyone experienced weight loss/gain after surgery. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Re: Weight loss or weight gain after LSH?

I'm a little different as I had ovary removal too but at my 4 week post op today I was down 15 pounds.
Unread 01-06-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacha32 View Post
Hello my sisters! I'm planning to have a LSH later this month or early Feb. I'm only having my uterus removed and I'm keeping everything else. I'm relatively healthy, but I experience a lot of bloating, pelvic pressure and sometimes water retention due to my fibroids. This should go away after surgery, right? I'm not overweight, but just curious if anyone experienced weight loss/gain after surgery. Thank you!
It should go away if your symptoms are actually related your fibroids/uterus.

Bloating/swelly belly will probably be present for a while due to the trauma induced by the surgery, even if it is LSH. Most women experience this. TAH patients experience it for longer. This might also include water retention due to the anesthesia/pain meds/antibiotics. But, water retention is usually the result of those monthly hormones and can be from high sodium intake from your food. So, if you are keeping your ovaries, you will probably still experience monthly PMS symptoms..... bloating, sore breasts and irritability. I do, but not bad.

As for weight gain, don't be discouraged for the first 3-6 months. You will not be able or shouldn't be over exerting yourself because of the surgery and need to give yourself time to heal. You might put on some weight strictly because you aren't moving around and doing the usual things you did before surgery. So, you aren't working off those calories you are intaking daily. THAT'S OK. Don't worry about it. Once you are completely healed, you can THEN work off any weight you might have put on. I lost weight but it was because I reduced my daily caloric intake. Some women lose weight because they just plain feel bad for a few months and aren't that hungry, I felt that way also.

As I say all of the time, weight gain/weight loss starts in the kitchen. You have to take responsibility for what you eat and how you work it off. If you lay around and only do housework and that's what you consider your means of exercise, you will put on weight or will not lose weight. You have to decrease the amount of calories you intake daily and exercise in order to not put it on or lose it. Now, of course I say to do this AFTER you heal and continue doing this as a lifestyle change from now on.

I see a lot of women blame their weight gain on hysterectomy. That is not true. A hysterectomy doesn't cause you to gain weight. YOU cause you to gain weight. Now, some women have had complications that can cause them to not be as active after their surgery but those are few & far between.

Good luck and don't worry about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2012, 11:37 AM

I still have my ovaries. At 24 days I'm 2 pounds heavier than I was before surgery. I still have swelly belly and haven't tried jeans yet. The thought is too much to bear. I think I also ovulated so may have some water retention from that.

I think the big issue is that you can't be as active as before so some weight gain/loss of muscle is probably going to happen. Watch what you eat, realize that your tissue will be swollen for a while, and walk.
Unread 01-06-2012, 11:41 AM

I am 3 weeks post-op and I have lost nearly 5 pounds. I had a hysterectomy with one ovary removed. Oddly enough, my appetite has been great! I guess I am losing excess fluid perhaps.
Unread 01-06-2012, 04:52 PM

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I eat pretty healthy, but will probably go on a lighter diet before the surgery...especially for the bowel prep! Need I say more?!? I don't want to think about that just yet. I'll save it for another post. Also, what exactly is "swelly belly?" Pretty much just a swollen tummy? Thanks, sisters
Unread 01-06-2012, 05:10 PM

I am having surgery on Feb 9th, Davinci for fibroids and I wasn't thinking I would lose weight, but I sure hope this pooch goes away under my belly button. My uterus is 3x larger then it should be and my back aches quite often, hoping this goes away with the removal of the uterus.
Good luck with your surgery.....I am ready to move past this.
Unread 01-06-2012, 05:19 PM

My weight has stayed about the same so far. However, I had two abdominal surgeries 9 weeks apart and am quite swollen yet at this point. It is going down slowly. Better some days than others. I weigh a little more or less based on the tenderness and swelling that day.

Weight gain and inability to lose weight despite working with a trainer while leading an otherwise healthy active lifestyle led me to believe something was wrong. In July a grapefruit size cyst was found on my ovary. Talk about hormonal issues!

I fully expect to be able to lose weight now. Looking forward to having my body behave!
Unread 01-06-2012, 05:41 PM

Thanks ladies for sharing your experiences. I know I'm going to get more nervous as the surgery date approaches. Glad I have a circle of supporters! I pray for a healthy healing for all of us!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register