When to stop pain meds | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When to stop pain meds When to stop pain meds

Unread 07-01-2013, 03:18 PM
When to stop pain meds

I am 3 days post op, LAVH, uterus and cervix were taken, surgery was 5 hours with a lot of cleanup from old scar tissue. I don't know when to start tapering pain meds. I don't want to be uncomfortable, but I'm afraid that the prescription pain meds might slow down my first BM.

When in average did everyone stop using their prescription pain meds? I know we are all different etc but I'm just looking for a rough estimate? Maybe I should taper during the day and use only at night? Is it okay to let myself feel uncomfortable? Although, why would I want to do that to myself? The thought if that first BM has me terrified!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Re: When to stop pain meds

My fifth day post op I would take motrins during the day and my percocets at bed time. Then before my second week post op I had stopped all pain pills. At five weeks I only take a motrin if I overdo myself and I get severe swelly belly.

I also continued to take my stool softeners but at two weeks my dr had to prescribe miralax to make it easier for me to go.

Wish you luck and keep in mind we all heal slighty differently...
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:46 PM

I had a TAH/BSO and wasn't released from the hospital until the third day after surgery. While in the hospital I had dilaudid delivered by an epidural catheter, so I don't know how much was given to me when. However, judging by my considerably increased degree of alertness on Day 2, I would guess that my dosage had been decreased overnight.

I lost the epidural and the dilaudid at 8 AM on Day 3 and was released at 3 PM. My belly was a bit sore and twinge-y, but not what I would call painful. The doc said to take ibuprofen or acetaminophen for minor pain, call them for major pain.

The first week home I took ibuprofen and acetaminophen regularly, alternating doses. This was more for my back than my belly, as the soft hospital beds hadn't done my arthritis any good!

After the first week I took the meds occasionally, as needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2013, 03:46 PM

I'd taper based on how you are feeling. It's hard not knowing your actual pain level because it is masked by the meds doing their work. The way I tapered was by substituting an OTC pain med and see if it gave me the same pain relief as the prescription one. When i came home from the hospital, i tried ibuprofen instead of Tylenol with codeine, and it was just as effective on the pain, so I was ok sticking with the OTC. But if I had still had pain, i'd have gone right back on the prescription. On Day 4 I stopped the ibuprofen completely and just take Tylenol PM to sleep, but I have a pretty high pain threshhold, so that might be a factor. Pain is your enemy in recovery - it is counter-productive to 'tough it out'. Do whatever you need to be pain-free.

Everyone reacts differently to different pain meds. It's ok to try different meds, with your drs blessing, to find the right one for you. If you feel that the GI side effects of your current meds are becoming intolerable I would not hesitate to try something new.

And Pooh's suggestion on stool softeners is spot-on....they are your friend!
Unread 07-01-2013, 04:19 PM

I'm 7 DPO from a TAH/BS and I'm still taking my T3's at night and if the pain is rough. Definitely keep on taking your stool softeners, and avoid bananas and cheese as they can help constipate you even further.
Lots of homemade smoothies & fiber!
I've already had a couple of BM's since surgery - I actually had to deal with an entire day of diarrhea due to my lactose intolerance.
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:14 PM

I didnt take any pain meds from the night of my surgery - I was released with tylenol #3 and have only taken two. One was tonight as I took a 1/2 hour walk and had a little bit of pulling sensation that was a tad uncomfortable. I have really not had a lot of pain - which has been a blessing for me. I will not throw them away until I have the clearance from my ob gyn at my 8 week follow up Just in case.
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:54 PM

I took my Percocet every 4-6 hrs the 1st week (I had my catheter for a week), the 2nd week I took it only at night with Advil during the day. The 3rd week (now), I'm only taking Advil once a day if needed. Today I didn't need it, but tomorrow I may.
Unread 07-02-2013, 04:46 AM

Thank you everyone, you have reminded me that we are all different and recover at different speeds. I pushed myself too far last night and am feeling the pain today. Just another reminder that just because you can't see the wounds doesn't mean they don't exist.
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:44 AM

Exactly!!!!! And feeling good (for two days in a row!?!?!?) is ALL we really want at this point!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register