constipation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-15-2005, 12:01 PM
constipation

hi ladies anybody got ideas how to releive constipation I am on stool softeners but still having alot of problems hemorroids are killing me lol. Any sugestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2005, 12:27 PM
constipation

I, too, still have alot of problems with constipation and hemorroids. I have been taking 1/2 of a laxative pill every two days and drinking prune juice. I can only take 1/2 of a pill becase if I take a while one, I seem to have the opposite problem for two to three days. It seems to help somewhat. I also have to use tucks wipes after using the restroom. These things are a godsend!
Unread 12-15-2005, 03:57 PM
constipation

Stool softeners can be taken at least 2x daily, warmed juice -- any type, but prune and apple are the best, will help and so will hot tea. I have a small hemorroid so I am doing my level best to not have any constipation.
Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2005, 04:06 PM
constipation

I had same problem. My sis (a nurse) explained to me that stool softners won't make your bowels move. I ended up having to take 4 exlax to finally break loose but then went for 2 days. I have switched to vegetable laxitives. Senakot or something like that. They aren't as harsh on your stomach. Good luck!
Unread 12-15-2005, 04:12 PM
constipation

Go to the drugstore and get a bottle of mag-c (magnesium citrate). Pour it over ice in the evening and drink...you'll be going the next morning. The lemon-lime flavor is kind of like a very strong Shasta lemon-lime soda, and the mag-c is carbonated.

This is what my gyn told me to do when I called her in tears about 5 days after my hyst. Warning: it made my stomach kind of rumbly-grumbly, so I didn't get much sleep that night...but WOW did I feel better in the morning!!!
Unread 12-15-2005, 05:08 PM
constipation

Everything the other ladies said is just great, I've had to use a few of them to get over the initial few days. Right now for extra fiber and good oils I've been really enjoying the mixed nuts that are in abundance because it's the Christmas season. The kids are having a BLAST cracking them for me!
While this won't relieve constipation it's really helps me keep regular.
good luck with it!

Leah
Unread 12-15-2005, 07:14 PM
constipation

If you search constipation on this site you will be given numerous threads on the subject with all sorts of helpful hints.
Unread 12-15-2005, 08:51 PM
constipation

A handful of dried fruit a couple times per day (figs, plums, raisins, peaches)

stay well
diana
Unread 12-16-2005, 07:02 AM
constipation

I had a very bad problem with this early on. I am using a stool softener but also eating prunes, drinking prunejuice and generally lotsof fruit/veg/fibre. Sometimes now I am to loose but it's so much better than the agony I had a couple of weeks ago.
Unread 12-16-2005, 07:09 AM
constipation

Hi, yes I have a suggestion! Milk of magnesia! OMG it really works, and it's gentle! I just had my first bm since surgery yesterday and I had to use that the dr said. Great stuff, no cramps or anything. Oh yeah, today's was nice and easy too!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register