Question about stitches and the cuff | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about stitches and the cuff Question about stitches and the cuff

Unread 11-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Question about stitches and the cuff

I know these may sound like silly questions to some of you, but I have quite a few of them.

First, when the stitches come out are they sharp, or soft threadlike material? I'm worried they will poke me.

Second, I had my cervix removed and have a vaginal cuff. Since I'm bleeding still at day 16, and it's coming out of the vagina, I'm assuming I'm bleeding on the other side of the cuff. What happens to that blood? I'm worried about adhesions.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2008, 04:24 PM

Hi, I actually never saw any stitches pass at all. At my 4 week post op the stitches were still there. I had no other post op appts, but did make a appt at 8 weeks to get checked to make sure I was healing ok. The PA said the stitches were gone..never felt or saw any of them.

As far as the bleeding, is it heavy or bright red?
Unread 11-06-2008, 01:10 PM

Thanks Ruth!
I read another post where someone said their husband got cut on the stitches, so I guess that they are stiff.

My bleeding is reddish-pink/orange colored. It's not heavy, just unbelievably annoying. It usually occurs in the morning right before a BM.

But then it comes out after I pee and in the evening it seems like it's a little more.

I know one thing, I'm ready to get rid of the pads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2008, 01:18 PM

I also never noticed any of the stiches but I felt kinda a tightening round the time I thought they should be coming out! And I'm not sure bout the bleeding but mine was like a orange/brownish color for bout 3wks come and go! So I'm sure you'll be ditching the pads soon!! Take care!! Ill talk to ya later!
Unread 11-06-2008, 01:26 PM

Thanks Blindz!

WOW, you have been through alot and at such a young age. I am 34 and thought I was young to be going through this.

I certainly hope that at three weeks I won't have to worry about pads anymore. I have two left and thinking I might have to send DH. LOL
Unread 11-06-2008, 01:33 PM

Ya my hyster was extremely upsetting and such a shock! I had my beautiful healthy son by csection and to make a looong story short the dr left placenta in me and I got bad infection so 3surgeries a d+c and 17blood transfusions all within 2wks of havin him! I'm still in shock but extremely blessed to have Noah! But hang in there and you are also very young to be goin through this!! And the thing I find hardest is I have no one I can talk to cuz even my mom has a uterus! LoL! That's why I love this site soo much! Even tho at times I feel so stupid for some of the stuff I ask or say!
Unread 11-06-2008, 01:34 PM

Lisa,

I'm at 3 weeks and still using pantyliners. I don't have a lot of discharge anymore, but enough that I have to have use something.

The discharge is more of a brownish color, though after I made a Walmart run on Monday it was much more red.

We've all had different surgeries and we'll all heal a bit differently, but here's to hoping that the pads are gone soon.

Heal well
Unread 11-06-2008, 03:54 PM

I bled and spotted for 6 weeks. I do not recall the stitches being rigid. I only saw a few because the doctor finally snipped the ones that did not dissolve. I bled because the cuff did not want to heal. A small section of the cuff opened at 4 weeks and I had a lot of granulation tissue. It is all gone now, no bleeding, no pain. Just work with your doctor to get everything healed up
Unread 11-06-2008, 04:32 PM

I spotted for about 6 weeks even had an episode at 9 weeks overdid it my own fault. Whatever you do listen to your body even if doc releases you. I got released cleaned house and whammo we all heal differently. But believe it or not I still have not given away my tampons and pads and liners lol. At this rate I will still have them when my daughter needs them. Hang in there it does get better and goes away.Forgot to answer the stitches thing lol I never even noticed mine nor seen them on pads. Doc said they were ll disolved wehn i had checkup.
Unread 11-06-2008, 04:37 PM

Ya I had stocked up on tonssss of pads and tampons cuz they told me in my lamaze class that you bleed more after havin a baby well I didn't need em so I gave em to my mom!! LoL!! Kinda sad.... Ya everyone heals differently so don't think you can do it all as soon as your "released" still kinda take it easy!! Take care!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register