7days till surgery getting anxious | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

7days till surgery getting anxious 7days till surgery getting anxious

Unread 07-26-2012, 08:42 PM
7days till surgery getting anxious

I have been waiting for this surgery for months now and after a failed ablation I have been even more determined to have the surgery done. My date is 8/2, and I don't go to pre-op till 8/1. I have a lot of questions to ask and I hope I remember them all when I go. I will be having a TAH/BSO. I have 3 days in the hospital per my insurance company. I am an overweight diabetic with uncontrolled high blood sugar.

I haven't packed my bag or cleaned yet. I have had 2 c-sections and my gallbladder removed so I have had major surgery and kind of know what to expect. I am lucky that hubby has some time that he can take off. I also have an unemployed 22yr old son who lives with us that can help with his 8yr old sister.

Some questions for you ladies. I am having both of my ovaries removed, I am 42 and the dr suggested it. I suffer from PCOS and PMS from hell so I was all for that option. I am wondering about HRT vs natural any opinions or personal experiences?

What about keeping the cervix? I haven't talked to the dr yet about that option. Does it make a difference with sex? I have had a lot of problems with pain and my cervix, and was thinking that removing it is a good option?

I still need to do the shopping thing. Why the big underwear? I wear hi cut briefs now would they be ok ? What is swelly belly and how big does it get?

How long does the gas last?
I will probably think of a lot more questions in the next 7 days so be prepared.!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2012, 09:41 PM
Re: 7days till surgery getting anxious

Take it easy and breathe. I had the Davinci 2 days ago and surprisingly feel very well. I was extremely nervous as well. We seem similar, I have a 21 yr old & a 13 yr old. The boys have been very helpful with assisting me moving around. You would be surprised how much u use ur stomach muscles!! I kept both my ovaries and tubes and removed the uterus and cervix. My Doc says there is nothing different with sex with or without it. He also told me that you have an increased chance of having to go back in later to have it removed and could still have short periods if there is anything left that was attached to the uterus. Underwear....I have not worn any since I have no discharge and the bleeding stopped in the hospital. I bought some large sweat pants (Danskin) and some large t-shirts to wear around the house. The gas is the worst part. Walking helps move the gas around, but what really helped me was Gas-X and Miralax. I had my first bm in just 2 days of surgery, I see numerous women taking a week or longer, but ask your doc before u take anything. The Miralax is just fiber, so you should be able to take. Ask me anything, I know how u are feeling.....Best Wishes
Unread 07-27-2012, 06:50 AM

Read some of the other posts where the girls that had c sections and gall bladder etc and they all say that this surgery is worse... I had nothing to compare to... About the gas... my doctor told me to lie down since gas rises... it hurts in your shoulder weird. That didn't seem to help me so I just walked a lot to get rid of it. My op was in May and I still have swelly belly. I just started exercise, yoga and pilates this week hoping that will help. I am on chemo treatments now so only feel well enough to exercise on my good days though. I also didn't wear underwear for awhile. Big sweats work great and a long nighty to lounge around with worked. My 5 little incisions are high and the low one internal so you have to get the underwear that rides between the two so that they don't hurt for awhile. If you are in for a while then you are probably not getting the davinci so you will just not want to ride whereever your big incision will be. Sorry can't relate to keeping anything since all is gone for me to avoid cancer anywhere else. Good luck. With your son at home you will be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2012, 07:02 AM

I've had 1 c-section, gallbladder surgery, 2 ear surgeries, exploratory surgery, bone marrow test, endoscopy,
and to be honest, I would rather go through 2..3..hysterectomies than ONE c-section, I was cut vertical, and the pain was nothing compared to the c-section. I had and still have some pain, but the pain is completely different. When I had my csection, I was in the hospital for 13 days, ( i'm a free bleeder ( von willibrands)
Gas was rough the first 2-3 weeks. I'm not a doc but I'm thinking that you are sore and they removed alot of organs so the soreness and tenderness plus gas = pain.
Gas x.. walk... rest... water.... were my best friends.. lol
Good Luck with surgery.. and I hope and pray for a speedy recovery for you..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register