Take Heart, Pre-op Princesses! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Take Heart, Pre-op Princesses! Take Heart, Pre-op Princesses!

Unread 10-11-2004, 09:55 AM
Take Heart, Pre-op Princesses!

Hi, ladies -

I hope to post a journal one of these days but meanwhile, I wanted to say hello and let you all know it is not so bad! Take heart! I am three weeks post-op today and doing great. I had a TAH/BSO and am 47 years old and 235 pounds (not in shape) - so if I can have a good recovery, anyone can!

My hospital stay was fine. No nausea - I had jello and broth for lunch a few hours after surgery and was on solid food by dinner time. I pushed the patient-contolled button for pain meds about once an hour and rarely more than that. I never felt the catheter at all until it was removed. I had no problems passing gas and even had a small bowel movement the day after surgery.

I had on-site help at home for 7 days after leaving the hospital, courtesy of a sister from Boston followed by a brother from Minneapolis (I am single and live alone except for pets). They cooked, cleaned up the kitchen, got groceries, ran errands, encouraged me, and tracked how much percocet I was taking, and when (so I could ration it appropriately). I came downstairs every morning and camped out on the sofa most of the day. I showered just fine by myself every other day or so. By a week after my hospital discharge, I was fending pretty much for myself.

My incision is healing great. I had staples removed just before I was discharged from the hospital (2 and 1/2 days after surgery) which were replaced by steri-strips. I've had no oozing or redness. I've also had no vaginal spotting. My pain has been replaced with discomfort and occasional pricks or jabs that cause me to catch my breath. I feel a lot of pulling and tightening now. But I walk the dogs and have a decent energy level - at least until about 3 PM, when I usually take a daily nap!

Having the hystersisters.com web site is a blessing in many ways, but some of the stories can also be scary. I think it is important for those of you in the pre-op phase to know that some of us sail through this with relative ease, and that you might, too! Take heart, read all you can and think positively!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2004, 10:26 AM

ellie,

Thank you for the encouraging words, I weigh about the same as you do & has been one of my concerns (I have lost 32 lbs over the last few months though )

I'm so pleased to here of your very good recovery & hope that it continues to be so for you.

s
Unread 10-11-2004, 10:42 AM

Ellie:

Thank you for your wonderful post! I am so glad to hear you are feeling and doing so well!

I really had concerns that I am 47, overweight and out of shape and your post made me feel much more relaxed.

My surgery has been postponed due to tachycardia (extra beats, occasional heart rhythm problem) and I am having nuclear stress tests tomorrow and Thursday.

My gyn thinks my ovary (have large cyst) is causing the problem. Have to have one ovary removed - hope to keep the other.

I noticed you had your ovaries removed. Did you have cysts?

Hopefully I'll be having surgery the first week in November so I'll be feeling better by holiday time.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2004, 11:17 AM

Ellie,

You are a God-send.
Your post is me....today...and believing it to me tomorrow...my day to conquer dragons.

I am overweight, but my doctor says I am in good shape, big bones, and as I told him...I got some big meat on these bones too.

What a comfort your post was. Thank you!

Roon
Soon to be princess......
Unread 10-12-2004, 06:42 AM

Thanks for sharing your wonderfu surgery and recovery story! Glad to hear it's going so well for you and I'm hopeful I'll have the same type of experience!!!
~Tammy
Unread 10-12-2004, 05:14 PM

I too am having a great recovery after surgery. When I woke up in the recovery room and they asked me what my pain level was, the only thing I was thinking was "I have had cramps with my periods worse than this"! I hardly used any pain meds, the last one I took was for my ride home in my husband's new dually pick-up. I haven't needed any since I got home.
Before surgery I moved my bedroom around so that my side of the bed was up next to my closet door. I left the door open and I used the handle and side of the door to pull myself out of the bed with no problems!
I am home alone during the day, DH takes 4yo to daycare and DS goes to school. I watch tv, read, drink-drink-drink water, make my own meals, go up and down the stairs, make supper, help with homework, give the kids a bath, and put them to bed every night. I just do things a little slower than before.
15 days post-op I took the truck and drove to the post office and the convience store and did fine. Even getting in and out (or should I say up and down !)of the truck was ok.

Yes- some of the sisters have had problems and use the post-op postings for good information from someone that has been there. But those of us that haven't had any problems don't have anything to post. We just help with encouragement, prayers and answer questions for the pre-op side.

Just remember - it is better on the other side once you become a princess, the reasons for the surgery will be gone. And once a princess - always a Princess.

Good luck to all of the LIW & new princesses --and remember - if you need us on the other side we are here to help!
Unread 10-13-2004, 10:12 AM

God bless you, Ellie! Your good experience and the similar stories added by others in response to it is just what I needed to hear today. I go for my pre-op this afternoon and am here looking for things to help quell my nervousness which I had kept very well at bay until today. I've got a good case of the heebiegeebies today. I think I'll go see if i can find some other nice postings like yours. Again, THANKS.
Unread 10-13-2004, 02:14 PM

Thank you so much for your post. I really need posts like these. My surgery is four weeks away today.

Thanks, and keep doing well!
Unread 10-13-2004, 05:13 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Thanks so much. That is just want I needed to hear. I also am 47 yo and having a LAVH or TAH/BSO in the morning. The LAVH might turn into a TAH. Not sure till she gets in there. The only thing that scares me is the pain. I don't do pain well at all. But your posting has reassured me so much! I hope I also do as well as you and I don't see why I would not.

Thanks for the encouragement! It is much appreciated.

Betty
Unread 10-13-2004, 05:35 PM

I'm another "fluffy" (100+ lbs. overweight) 40-something sister who has had a great recovery so far. I think I kind of surprised my doctors. But I was determined to NOT have those problems overweight patients tend to have -- no infections, etc. I think some of that is luck -- many times people pick up infections in the hospital (after all they are filled with sick people).

Other than that, though, I followed directions to the letter (kept my binder on 23 hours a day, took a warm shower and let the water glide over the incision, just dabbed at it gently with a washcloth, etc.), took my antibiotics on time and without fail, and I'm taking it very easy now that I'm home!

Good luck to all!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register