What Do I Pack | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What Do I Pack What Do I Pack

Unread 05-31-2005, 10:58 AM
What Do I Pack

I am going to the castle on 6/3/05 at 6:00am. I need suggestions of what to pack and what you wish you would have packed when you ladies went in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2005, 11:08 AM
What Do I Pack

Hi kesha!

Here's a link to a great list of things Hyster Sisters have found helpful: What to Take to the Hospital. I hope it helps you!

Best wishes for your surgery and recovery!

s
Unread 05-31-2005, 11:25 AM
What Do I Pack

I love that list - it's very comprehensive. A couple of suggestions on that list - I took lotion, shampoo and conditioner in sample size bottles that I had collected over the years so that I didn't have to juggle a big full bottle of anything while I was uncoordinated in the shower that first time out. If you have little travel bottles, put your favorite shampoo, etc, into them - the smells will be comforting to have with you.

Also, I found a fanny pack was handy, because I could put the little stuff I wanted handy in it and hang it from the side of the bed. That way I wasn't hunting for my lip balm, etc. in a drawer I couldn't see into.

Also, for that first day when I was on the catheter and couldn't necessarily get up to wash my hands regularly after sneezing, blowing nose, coughing, shaking hands with a visitor, etc., I took a sample size bottle of hand sanitizer because I'm a germfreak.

I took a trashy novel and a puzzle book, never had the attention span for either while I was still in the castle.

Wow you're packing already - not waiting for last minute rush... very good for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2005, 12:50 PM
What Do I Pack

I took Reader's Digest because I love to read. It was light enough and interesting enough; anything "short" as in short stories is good. I wouldn't recommend "Crime and Punishment" or "War and Peace"!

LIP BALM - it's really really dry in the hospital. And a light cotton robe is good (so your back isn't showing when you take your "walkies" every day).

As for nighties, I just used what they gave me as it was easier for them to adjust the tubes, etc.

Good luck, God Speed and remember - the WAITING really really is the worst!

The hospital list the Hystersisters recommend was EXCELLENT!
Unread 05-31-2005, 01:23 PM
thanks

I am trying to get the stuff that I can do out of the way ie packing, braiding my girls' hair, cleaning etc so I can focus on my duties at work. Thanks a bunch.
Unread 05-31-2005, 02:59 PM
What Do I Pack

Of all the things I packed, the only things I used were, lip balm, lotion, my grabber, back scratcher, and my pillow and blankie.
Unread 05-31-2005, 04:16 PM
What Do I Pack

yep. I used the hospital gowns too. I was only there from 11:15 Monday until 4:30 pm Tuesday so other than Lip Balm I didn't get to use much. I never thought about taking underwear though, so I had to have a friend run to the store for me. don't bring new ones...bring your not newest ones. the mesh ones might have been OK for the more petite ladies, but they just weren't working for me.
Unread 05-31-2005, 05:04 PM
What Do I Pack

The only thing I used was lip balm, deoderant and my back scratcher also. I had no interest in reading or doing much of anything. I did brush my hair at one point. they provided a toothbrush so didn't even need that.
Unread 05-31-2005, 05:52 PM
What Do I Pack

The hospital deodorant was the worst, so don't forget yours! *grin*

I also took disposable face wipes and hand wipes that I used the first day or so when I couldn't get out of bed to wash. Socks were also good if your feet get cold...
Unread 05-31-2005, 09:40 PM
What Do I Pack

The one thing I wish I had taken with me was some throat drops or some hard candy--something to suck on to soothe my irritated throat. The pure oxygen they gave me during surgery did a number on my throat.

Best wishes to you!

Carol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register