no problems just super fit and ready to get back at it! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

no problems just super fit and ready to get back at it! no problems just super fit and ready to get back at it!

Unread 03-15-2006, 09:35 AM
no problems just super fit and ready to get back at it!

hi i had my surgery almost 4 weeks ago, it was a TAH with the removal of one ovary. I am a super fit 42 year old work out everyday, race single speed mt. bikes,swim, run etc. I had very minimal swelling post op. After 2 weeks my doc gave me the ok to start some cardio training. I've been riding the indoor trainer 2-3 times a week no problems. running is out for now as that does feel a bit uncomfortable, but I'll be getting back in the pool today. Yes i am going slow and not as hard as pre-op but i think due to great health my recovery is quicker. I am a bit interested in what contributes to adhesions and internal scarring. someone told me not to get my heart rate too high or i could rupture something any validity to that? My doc says do what i want within reason and not if there is any pain. Today he even gave me the ok to go skiing if i go easy, no moguls or aggressive stuff! So i'm just wondering if anyone else has had quick recoveries and how any other super athletic woman have approached their recovery. Thanks K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2006, 09:40 AM

I am a week ahead of you and I am strarting to hurt just reading what you are able to do. You are very lucky.
Unread 03-15-2006, 09:46 AM

Hi K!

We're the same age and I'm a fitness/health nut too! I have two sons; aged 22 and 20 who live on their own. I am back to my regular exercise routine except running. I tried that a couple of days ago, and it was too jarring. At my post op check up the doc cleared me to ski, snowshoe, go to the gym etc. This weekend I am going to try a ride on my snowmobile! I miss it sooo much. My doc said try things and if they hurt, stop. So, that's what I have been doing. I have been doing ab work for a few weeks now too. No pain during the workout or after! Doc said she was impressed with my ab muscles. During surgery they were having trouble retracting them! LOL My incision was nicely closed and mended at one week post op. I haven't had any bleeding, spotting or discharge either since day of surgery. I did have a catheter for 3 weeks, but this didn't stop me from walking each day on my treadmill. I had a ureter stent and that was removed at 5 weeks. Since then, nothing can stop me! My doc said that I overcame my complications and was mending faster than she thought I would because of my fitness level. So, I guess all that hard work really did pay off! I'm glad to hear that you're healing quickly and have no complications. Enjoy the spring skiing! I'm off to the pool next week; gotta find a new swimsuit first! Have a great day.

Mar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2006, 10:26 AM

Gee, I'm at 3 weeks post op today, played racquetball competitively 4 times a week, weight trained 3 times a week, elipitcal for a half hour(hard) before my 1-1/2 hour of racquetball, and I still am moving very slow. I am thinking 8 weeks to start again, but I'm surprised how slow my recovery is. I'm 47, (48 in a couple of weeks), but still---!!!!
Unread 03-15-2006, 10:52 AM

Hi Mar thanks for your reply I was starting to think maybe I was crazy for doing so much! I too had no bleeding or discharge after day one and my incision healed great in a week, Dr. was impressed by it. I was wondering about doing ab work, I've done some easy crunches and leg lifts with no problems so I guess they're ok. I'll agree with you on the running it is not so much painful as it is jarring, glad it's not my favorite sport. I'm going to go back to my regular spin class this week and definitely get out the boards and put in some turns on the mountain! Hurray for good health and fitness!!! k
Unread 03-15-2006, 11:44 AM

Wow! You women are amazing! I went for my 6 week on Monday and told him that I felt pretty good, aside from a little tenderness, but I actually felt as if I may be able to start doing some crunches. He told me absolutley not! He said I can walk as much as I want (it is in the 20's-30's here!) but NO exercising for three more months! I was going to use this as my turning point in life...40...hyst...oldest graduating this year...the extended family plan was for most of us to run in the CRIM in Flint this year, but I won't get to do that. Perhaps the "teddy bear trot" for me!
Unread 03-15-2006, 01:01 PM

i go tomorrow for my 6 weeker. i'll let you know what he says about crunches. i'm so anxious to get back into a full fledged exercise routine--just to get rid of this stomach! yuck! i can't stand this shelf i have! glad you are doing so well--it's encouraging!bev
Unread 03-15-2006, 09:29 PM

I'm 43 and an exersize nut too. Maybe not as intense as some. but I've always done a daily workout since I was 18...slightly gentler exersizes as I got older.
My Dr told me no exersize cold turkey till six weeks post-op. At 1 1/2 weeks I couldn't stand the layer of flab begining on my belly, so I developed my own lighter version of my regular workout....which is basically the same sort you do "post -delivery". I have discovered that "my" over doing it usually involves lots of bending over doing regular housework.
I'm 3 weeks tomorrow and slowly building back up to my regular type workout. Had my post-op check up today and Dr said I'm ahead of the game, healing.
Unread 03-15-2006, 10:47 PM

Hi:
I had my hysterectomy one year ago last January.
I had major complications (i.e. a bowel obstruction) and I needed emergency surgery 9 days after my hyst.

Well, one year later, I am 43 years old. As active as I can ever be. I am a dog trainer specializing in "Pit bull obedience training". Lets say I work with some very strong dogs that can blow any weight program at a gym away!!! Natural exercise thats me!!! I run my dogs daily (big strong and georgous pit bulls) and train other dogs, hiking and walking long distances daily EVERY day. Then I go to work full time second shift at the hospital I work at!
I also love to ride my bicycle weather permitting.
I am very active, I am in great shape and feel wonderful!!!
My overall recovery took much longer than expected due to many complications but I am a huge advocate of the surgery and would reccomend it to anyone!!! If you would have asked me the same question a few months after my surgery you would have gotten a totally different answer.
Everyone recovers at their own pace and that is totally important to realize. Just because one person is dancing circles doesn't mean the next lady will.
Go at things at your own pace!!!
Make REALISTIC goals for yourself. Don't feel badly if one person is seeming to recover quicker or has more energy than you.
The energy will come when your own body is ready. BELIVE ME!!!
The key here is EVERYONE is DIFFERENT!!!
But, do know that total recovery is going to happen to you and get out and enjoy your new post op life!!!!!!!!!!!
Sue
Unread 03-15-2006, 11:57 PM

Recovery seems to vary so much! And so does advice! I had LAVH and I am used to working out three times a week- all I can fit around my work schedule!!! I have a history of recovery very quickly from surgery.

I was told nothing except walking without an incline for 12 weeks because there is danger of damage inside, esp with crunches, none until 4 months plus, I've just started them again, it hasn't taken long to get back into them. Two different physiotherapists gave me this same advice, one a gyn expert for many years, and she said as far as this is concerned, it makes no difference what sort of hyst you have.

However, she did say (at 5 weeks) that I would know that something was doing damage because it would hurt, you have to stop. She was talking about in everyday life, but if you have been cleared to exercise then I guess that must be true for that too.

I have chosen to take this slower route because I was so scared of hurting my insides, I am fed up of gyn surgery now, the hyst was my fourth, but you sound as if it has worked for you. You are very lucky!!

Best wishes.
Marion

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register