1 day post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 day post-op 1 day post-op

Unread 11-08-2005, 08:20 PM
1 day post-op

I can't believe that with all the pain meds that I have been given that I can't get this pain to go away, I wish the Dr. would have explained it better to me!!!
They have me on percaset every 3-4 hrs. and they told me to walk and this should help the pain, but it is not.
Can anyone suggest something else, as I'am low on funds since my husband just started working again. Also any ideas for me to use to explain this a little better to my to boys, 8yrs. and 4yrs. Any advice is much apprishiated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2005, 09:45 PM
1 day post-op

Pain meds are not going to take away all of the pain. And you say youre only 1 day post-op--of course theres going to be pain. With that said, if you feel the pain meds that youre taking arent controlling the pain enough for you to function by all means call your Dr. You should be able to move about w/o too much pain.
Unread 11-08-2005, 09:50 PM
1 day post-op

missa1, I wish I could wish your pain away! But it will go soon enough. Just keep taking those pain pills. I am not sure what kind of surgery you had, but at 1 day after my TAH I was still in the hospital taking heavier drugs. You may want to ask your doctor if there is something else they can recommend.

My son is 5 and recently had his tonsils out so I was able to relate it to that some-as how he felt bad for awhile, and so on. I basicly told him that my baby making place was making me sick and the doctor said it was time to "fix it". And that my belly was going to hurt awhile after surgery. The phrase "Taking it out" was a scary idea to him so we did not use that phrase (he still asks when they will give him his tonsils back). I showed him my cut and the steri-strips (big bandaids) and he knew that I was hurt. Since then he has been my official helper and has been doing a wonderful job. It did help though that I actually had been pretty "sick" before the surgery and having many problems before. And he knew I had been taking medicines to get better but they were not working.

I hope you are feeling better very soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2005, 10:21 PM
1 day post-op

Hi missa 1,
I'm sorry you're hurting. I hope you aren't trying to do too much walking one day out. You need to start slowly. It is good to get up and do some walking about the house, but if you're hurting despite the meds you could be trying to do too much too soon. I know it can be frustrating to find the balance.
Also, some pain meds work for some and not for others. If you find that this medicine really isn't working for you, you might need to ask your dr for something else. It's important for you to be able to control your pain. If it continues, please call your dr and at least talk to him/her about what else you could do.
I also suggest you try some heat on your tummy to help with the pain. I used a warmed rice bag and it really helped me.
You should mostly be resting these early days, drink lots of water and do some walking as you feel up to it. Let us know how you do.

's, Rita
Unread 11-08-2005, 10:25 PM
1 day post-op

at one day post opt i was still in the hospital taking 2 pecocet at a time and they were giving me 800mg..I cant think of the name its like ibuprofen..it helps with inflamation that causes pain. after i got home at 2 days post op. I had lorcet plus instead of percocet and i also took ibuprofen or advil 200mg...3pills at a time.. three times a day. Dont worry each day gets better.
Unread 11-09-2005, 08:00 AM
1 day post-op

My Dr had me on 10 mg oxycotin 4 times a day, naproxen twice a day and 1000 mg acetaminophen 4 times a day. He told me to "stage" the oxycotin and tylenol - take an oxycotin, then the tylenol 2 hours later ( that's also what the hospital did but I was out the day after surgery). That way you're taking pain meds every 2 hours without overdoing it. The naproxen was for inflammation and was taken morning and night. When that ran out, I was cleared to use ibuprophen as needed. At 7 weeks post-op, I still need some help but all is quite manageable with tylenol at night (it makes me sleepy!) and ibuprophen late in the day if needed.

Check with your doc and best of luck on your recovery! Remember to pamper yourself and get LOTS of rest.
Unread 11-09-2005, 08:31 AM
1 day post-op

I'm 1 week post op, had my staples removed yesterday from a TAH, and feel pretty good. I came home from the hospital two days after surgery, got on the oxycontin regime 2 every 4-6 hours, got so sick to my stomach and dizzy, had to get off of those. I quit taking pain meds on day 4. Used tylenol and ibuprophen to help with the pain and a low grade fever I had that lasted three days. Dr. said that was normal. I have not had a fever since yesterday. I still don't have a lot of pain except in the incision area and only when I'm standing or walking more than just a few minutes at a time. I take tylenol PM just to help with the sleeping.
Unread 11-09-2005, 08:32 AM
1 day post-op

what kind of hyst surgery did you have? i had tah and was in the hospital for 4 days! and i was also on the pain pump for 3 days!!!!! you should be on something stronger than percoset on post op day 1! thats just my humble opinion
i would tell your little ones that mommy has a BIG OWIE
and she needs her big boys to help her. send them to get you things, that will make them feel like they are helping you and maybe they could get in bed with you for story time each day.
i hope you feel better soon and if you are in that much pain i would call the doc and ask for something for break through pain. when i came home i had norco every 4 hours and dilaudid for break through pain.
Unread 11-09-2005, 08:48 AM
1 day post-op

I would get ahold of my Doctor and get your pain under control there is no reason for you be suffering. Looking back I would use the word uncomfortable but not really in pain. The meds kept that under control. Remember the squeeky wheel get oiled! I had an ectopic pregnancy when my son was 5 and then reconstructive surgery when he was 9 and was in the hospital a total of 21 days ( late 70"s) at that age they understand more than people think, they know pain and can relate with compasssion with little details. Take the next couple weeks easy, let the little stuff go and allow your self to recover.
Unread 11-09-2005, 09:04 AM
1 day post-op

Thank you to everyone!!! I had a laproscopic assisted vaginal hyst.W/ Ovary Removal. Today is a little better and all of you are right, I need to just take it eaiser and not try to do so much, i think that if i take it easier now it will be better in the long run.

You all are wonderfull, take care and GodSpeed to all

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register