Returning to work (pressure from employer) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Returning to work (pressure from employer) Returning to work (pressure from employer)

Unread 04-18-2007, 11:46 PM
Returning to work (pressure from employer)

wistful-glad to hear you won't have any problems with your doctor. And you've got plenty of PTO!! Of course your employer wants you back but they also want you back at your full capacity.

Get well, and for goodness sake don't read your email from home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2007, 06:17 AM

Wistful, I had a TVH on Feb,19th. I was surprised on how tired I still was at week4. I was feeling better going into week 5. I am a SAHM of 4 and it was hard just trying to keep up with them after my DH went back to work after 2 weeks. If you can take the whole 6 weeks like everybody said you really will need it. I kept saying to myself that it is crazy that I should feel so tired ect.... I did have it done Vaginaly so whats up. But my Doc put it to me this way even though you dont have a incision on the outside you still have hundreds of stitches on the inside and they need time to heal. Just tell your boss to pack sand and your taking ur 6 weeks. Your body will thank you for it later. Best of luck to you.

Debbie
Unread 04-19-2007, 05:35 PM

I had TVH too, and my dr. told me I could go back at 2 weeks but left it up to my discretion. There was no way I could have returned. I waited until I was 5 weeks. I could tell at about 4 1/2 weeks I turned the corner and would be able to make it through the day. Besides the physical part, also the metal fog was pretty bad, and in the end I was glad I waited. Don't let your employer pressure you. You won't be much good to them if you try to go back too soon and then end up having to go back out again because you weren't ready. I'd take the whole 6 weeks and give yourself as much time as possible! Take care and good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2007, 06:17 PM

Wistful, I just prayed about it and God told me to tell you to stay home for 6 weeks. O.K. I am just kidding! But seriously, like it says somewhere else on one of these posts...we only get one chance to heal properly. Just because you didn't have abdominal does not mean you don't need time to heal, and I am sorry that the people at your office don't understand. You still had insides removed and probably have internal stitches too. It is major surgery no matter which kind of hyst we have.

It sounds like your job is very important and they need you...but you and your health is more important than any of that. I was already worried about you when in another post you said you did some light work with the pitchfork! My husband used to do that with feeding horses and he told me he knew exactly which muscles were being used and how sore it can make you...you end up flexing muscles...maybe that is why you were feeling worse after.

Anyway, I know you can make your own decisions but it sounds like all your sisters here, including me, want you to take it easy and heal properly. Especially if you have a Dr. that will write your notes and he is recommending longer.

Please take care....and thankfully these are not the Little House on the Prairie days...we would all be bent over washboards already!
Unread 04-20-2007, 09:29 AM

Take as much time as you need! I went back to work at 6 weeks after AH and that first week was very tiring. In addition, as someone told me, people at work may give you a break the first day you are back, but than, watch out...you will be expected to perform as usual.
Unread 04-20-2007, 04:04 PM

When I told my DM about my surgery, she TOLD me to get the doctor set up an 8 week LOA. We did that, but I think my DM forgot how I easily get bored! I really WANTED to stay home, but after 2 weeks I was going nuts. I was taking conference calls from home, providing direction to the staff, etc. I begged my doctor at 2 weeks to let me go back on a limited part time VERY light duty basis at the 2 1/2 week mark. She agreed, but with tons of conditions (no standing more than 20 minutes at a time/must sit 40 minutes out of every hour, no lifing more than 10 pounds, work no more than 2 hours a day initially, work no more than 30 hours a week until the 8 weeks have passed and the doctor gives written approval). My staff and corporate office were so happy that I came back early, I think they would have agreed to anything! I've told them that I won't post a schedule; if I don't feel well, I will not be coming to work. This works well for me, but I know that I have to be VERY careful.

Kim
LAVH/BSO with Climara patch
Unread 04-20-2007, 05:34 PM

DH and I talked about it and I'm taking the full 6 weeks off. I told my employer today I would be back on 5/9. My 6 week post-op appt. is on 5/8. Pain wise, I'm better and need very little med for it. Emotionally, I've got to get on track before I return to work. AND a sleep routine would be good too!
Unread 04-20-2007, 05:49 PM

wistful,

Remember we have one chance to heal properly, take ALL the time you need. If you can, start slow and build back up to full time. Good luck!
's
Barb
Unread 04-20-2007, 06:10 PM

FYI- if you still want to collect disability for the part time return to work. Contact them to find out the minimum amount of hours. If you work a certain number of hours part time you no longer qualify for the disability and some plans to not allow part time return to work and collection of money.

2nd if you go back part time for the first week make sure your doctor makes any restrictions and limitations clear. Like you can only work 4 hours a day, no lifting, etc. to make sure there won't be any confusion from your employer.

Hope that makes sense.

I took 6 weeks for a Lap and went back to early and was out another 2 weeks with a cyst and pain- take the time to heal
Unread 04-23-2007, 08:30 PM

Wistful,
You've probably decided by now - but have you considered going back 2 or 3 whole days per week when you return, instead of half days? Your commute is so long, it might be less wearing. My doctor was going to write my release that way, but I just waited longer and am attemping to go back this Thursday, after 5 weeks. We'll see.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register