No period, where does the blood go? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No period, where does the blood go? No period, where does the blood go?

Unread 03-11-2008, 08:53 AM
No period, where does the blood go?

Good Morning Sisters!

I was just thinking about something this morning (I have way too much time on my hands before my surgery ).
I have always had my period every month. Last month was really weird beause around the time I was supposed to start I spotted for ten days and then had a moderately heavy period with clots, like usual. This month, there is nothing. I have never had "nothing". My surgery is scheduled for March 27, so I am not too concerned. But I was just wondering, if you miss your expected period (and you're not pregnant), where does the blood go? Does anyone know, or had this happen and asked their doctor this question?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2008, 09:11 AM

Hi, Bella.
I haven't had a period in nearly a year due to the Depo shot - but I don't know where it goes if ovulation isn't being suppressed? If its unusual, give your doctor a shout-out. Especially since you're having surgery soon!
Best wishes -
Unread 03-11-2008, 09:47 AM

HMMMMMMMM Maybe you didn't have a huge lining this time around so nothing shed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2008, 10:31 AM

It could just be that your menstrual cycle is changing / adjusting. I had been SO completely regular for years and years that you could set a clock to my cycle. When it started getting heavier the intervals changed, then the amount of time it lasted changed, then both changed on and off. Some months I would spot for weeks before my period, some months I would spot for weeks after my period - occassionally I wouldn't spot at all (those months were few and far between). It got to a point where I was always on the ready for either spotting or heavy bleeding - I didn't know what each day would bring. I'm so glad all that is behind me now - I can finally take control of my life again !
I'd say if you're not menstruating that you're running late but if you feel crampy as if you were having a period give your doc a call to get his/her opinion.
Just think - soon all this nonsense will be behind YOU also ! All the best for your surgery and recovery
Unread 03-11-2008, 10:45 AM

I'm going to take a stap at this one. I may be wrong but it's my understanding of it. The first part I know is true stress can cause you to skip your period. It's happened to me many times. So then the second part where does the blood go? It hasn't formed so it doesn't need to go anywhere. The endometrial tissue that is on the inside of the uterus responds to hormone levels dropping and it produces blood which then comes out. If the hormone levels are out of wack which stress can cause then the endometrial tissue doesn't form any blood. Hope that makes sense.
Unread 03-11-2008, 11:19 AM

I am definitely stressed. I am also bloated and feel kind of crampy, so maybe I will have it just late. Thanks for all the replies, I never thought that the blood just did not form in the uterus. Anyway, did I mention that I am really, really, stressed. I am so nervous about this surgery, but it will be a good thing!
Unread 03-11-2008, 12:53 PM

This is a good question. I have had no period for a year...just spotting. There has been no apparent reason, hormones check out fine. Had the ultrasounds etc and the lining is "normal" thickness like it should be for having a period but nothing! The spotting has been from my cervix. My doc said she has NEVER seen a cervix as sensitive as mine. All after my cold-cone for CIS and tubal litigation.

I have ALL the regular symptoms like I am having a period but no blood....go figure.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register